Trying to decide what to do with what's left of my 95!

He has a 6 cyl truck with E4OD and thinks the engine harness can be switched out for V8?
Then maybe I MISUNDERSTOOD YOU. The way I read it, it seemed like you were talking about putting a 4.9L engine harness on a 5.8L engine. Try to clarify exactly what part will come from what donor to be used on what target vehicle, with LOTS of detail.
I know the L interior harness has fog light in it but what else is different?
I'm not sure, but potentially a lot, depending on the exact donor vehicle. Did your '95L have RKE, THEFT, dual tanks, or brake-shift interlock?
If I swap main harness out of a pwr windows, cruise etc will it work?
That's vague. Anything "will work" with enough effort & labor put into modifying it. I spent a year (NOT working every day or week) transferring RKE into a '93 Bronco's main harness. I'm in the process of adding power pedals, seat heaters, USB power, remote start, wireless charging, and deleting THEFT from my '95 Bronco right now (when I actually go out & mess with it).

20220112_154354.jpg

If you're asking about PnP, then you STILL have to be very specific about what OTHER parts (harness sections, electrical components) you plan to plug into it. If you keep ALL the harness sections from one original truck together, you can swap the engine harness from THE SAME YEAR & chassis weight (either <8500GVWR, or >) and the transmission harness with the same limitations (or maybe a few more years & both weights).

No luck finding that!
I wish you would have said you wanted the info to the posting. I figured since you just gave me a thumbs up you weren't interested. I just went back to look for it and it's been removed.
I have a engine bay harness from a 94 that I won't be using anymore. It doesn't include the motor harness. I also have the transmission harness. If your interested, let me know.

OK I'm confused so let me start from where I am. My L had cruise, power windows, mirrors, locks, no keyless entry, brake interlock, no theft that i remember, and don't know what RKE is? Had dual tanks. Had airbag.

I know where a 94 300/6 5 speed single cab, 2wd, SWB truck is for $500 base model so no power cruise etc. Only one rear tank, Basically I could use body and front I beams etc. Leaning toward not going this route as I would have to find all the V8 engine mounts, accy brackets etc. Dual Tank fuel lines etc. Then swap the entire wiring harness out.

so I'm going to have to swap the entire harness from a 351w E4OD truck? 94 or 95. I know L is different in some ways for engine harness, the inside harness is different (Fog lights not sure what else, Inst cluster for L?) My original plan was to find a 94 or 95 351w E4OD truck and swap everything over to my frame. I found 2 near here that was SWB single cab with 351w E4OD power windows, locks, cruise. Missed both of them. A few EXT cab trucks show up but are mostly long beds.

I will swap ALL wiring, fuel lines, etc off donor truck

Looks like best to find swb 351w E4OD truck so will L inst. cluster work with donor harness? I don't mind wiring Fog lights up separately. I know it will need dual tank switches also.

The Lightning harness listed on EBAY above is part of what I need but not all of it so that's big money to get part of what I need. Will a stock ECU from a donor truck run till I can get a Lightning ECU? Any issues from a Non lightning donor truck harness etc?

I am rebuilding the original trans and short block, may rebuild GT40 heads of go aluminum. I have stock Lightning lower intake and a GT40 upper intake off an explorer.

THANKS, for all you help guys I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
I would pass on the 300/6 truck and find a 5.8L truck. That is a good deal but in the long run if you’re patient, it won’t be long before you find a 2nd 5.8L E4OD maybe same year to use as a donor. We have them around here as old water utility trucks. As far as the Lightning specific parts I’d take the hit and get what I could when it’s available from eBay.

Aftermarket sheet metal is pretty cheap in my opinion. The hours saved on new panels in the paint shop will add up.

I would pass on the 300/6 truck and find a 5.8L truck. That is a good deal but in the long run if you’re patient, it won’t be long before you find a 2nd 5.8L E4OD maybe same year to use as a donor. We have them around here as old water utility trucks. As far as the Lightning specific parts I’d take the hit and get what I could when it’s available from eBay.

Aftermarket sheet metal is pretty cheap in my opinion. The hours saved on new panels in the paint shop will add up.
I’ll check out utilities around here never thought of that!

...a 300/6 5 speed truck is for $500 base model...
Edit its YEAR into that post above. Also, cab/bed/wheelbase, number of tanks, 2/4WD...
so I'm going to have to swap the entire harness from a 351w E4OD truck? 94 or 95.
That's the safest/easiest, but the transmission isn't as critical. The trans harness section is more-compatible across trim levels, wheelbases, and maybe even years.
A few EXT cab trucks show up but are mostly long beds.
It's very easy to loop a harness that's longer than you need. But not fuel lines.
I will swap ALL wiring, fuel lines, etc off donor truck
The cab & bed sizes (wheelbase) must match for the fuel lines to fit. If you only want 1 tank on your target truck, you CAN use dual-tank fuel lines by simply plugging (NOT cross-connecting) the fittings for the unneeded tank.
...will L inst. cluster work with donor harness?
Electrically, there is nothing special about the L cluster. The high-speed PSOM works differently within itself, but it's wired exactly the same to the rest of the truck, so it's a direct swap either way.
Will a stock ECU from a donor truck run till I can get a Lightning ECU?
If the EEC matches all the engine & trans options that it's connected to, it will run them. Since an L can't be MAF or OBD2, you can use any '89-95 F150/Bronco (and maybe some trucks >8500GVWR) 5.8L E4OD MAP EVP CANP EEC (top left of this diagram) at least temporarily.

(click this text)

But for the ignition system to work exactly right, you have to match the EEC, wiring, & ICM to either push-start (pre-'94) or CCD ('94-97).

(click this text)

It WILL run OK with the wrong ignition (in either direction) - just not exactly right.

Man lots of good info there! Thanks! Guess the best plan is to continue search for a 94 or 95 swb truck with all options etc. That will make life easier to get her back up and running again. I’ve got lots to do so have time to be picky on search. Maybe a white one will show up lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK after thinking on this I have a question....

In reference to: "That's the safest/easiest, but the transmission isn't as critical. The trans harness section is more-compatible across trim levels, wheelbases, and maybe even years".

What is the difference in wiring harness from a 5.0 truck? I know trans harness is different, but can it be swapped to E4OD wiring in a 5.0 harness?

At the end of the day, it's all wires, so don't burn too much thought on it. They're not that hard to move around.

If you find a good, V8, automatic truck harness, the rest of it can be adjusted and adapted without a whole lot of difficulty.

Probably not your cheapest option but i think stinger makes full engine harnesses.

What is the difference in wiring harness from a 5.0 truck?
Which section of what year 5.0L truck?
I know trans harness is different...
What difference do you know of, compared to what?
...can it be swapped to E4OD wiring in a 5.0 harness?
I don't understand the question. The E4OD harness section isn't "in" any other harness section - it plugs up to the engine bay harness section. And as I said above: it's probably much more-compatible with other years & options than most of the other sections.

In this pic, only the trans section might be compatible with a Lightning. All the other sections are distinct.

Attachments

• 20181227_154706.jpg
    20181227_154706.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 20
Ok I wasn’t sure if I found a 302 truck what it would take to get E4OD to work with it. Unless I find a good deal on a complete Lightning harness I’ll probably find a 351 non Lightning truck to swap so I will just hold out for a 351 truck

I will buy a complete truck as I need everything frame up to put on my Lightning frame. 351 best choice but very few around here only seen 2 in a year so if a 302 truck could work I need to know exactly what I’m getting into.

Last edited:
Well as luck would have it I found a real clean 95 351 SWB short bed truck has power cruise dual tanks aa I’m making plans to get it my house gets hit by Lightning and takes out both AC units! Then my insurance tells me I have a $4650 deductible not the $ 1000 I signed up for! Argh always something!

Are the ac units r22 or newer units? You may have got lucky. If those had just got a small leak you would have to buy a new unit and no ins covers that. So maybe a little luck?

I have bought 4 totally new systems over 2 years because r22 got outlawed. I think r134a has been slated to be phased out now so?

Are the ac units r22 or newer units? You may have got lucky. If those had just got a small leak you would have to buy a new unit and no ins covers that. So maybe a little luck?

I have bought 4 totally new systems over 2 years because r22 got outlawed. I think r134a has been slated to be phased out now so?

Both are r22 sadly storm came through bad lightning and both units out now hope they will cover them!

I'm no insurance guy but a buddy of mine had his hit last year. Got a 20yo r22 system replaced and I know his insurance paid but how much I don't know. He got his roof replaced to for hail damage. So he made out but most don't.

Back