Trying to decide what to do with what's left of my 95!

RPM289

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
Ok so I can save most of the running gear but have a question. If I find a 93-95 truck to build will the tranny electronics work with Lightning tranny, Engine / trans harness, Computer etc.? Upper intake had to be pried off the lower so what upper will bolt up to Lightning lower?

I cant answer the first question but I would suppose so. A lot of people swap over maf from 1996 truck to our lightning, so it should be a plug and play kit on regular f150 or vice versa.

If I am not mistaken, any gt40 upper intake will bolt on and get you by for now. The explorer GT40P or the Cobra 1993 intake.

Any truck with an E4OD and a 5.8 should work for wiring - even '93s, though there are a few changes you'll have to make, the vast majority will be there. Or watch the classifieds because harnesses are for sale semi-regularly.

Most of the "Lightning" parts seem like they're salvageable from your truck, excepting the seats. I think it's a great skeleton for restoration.

Any truck with an E4OD and a 5.8 should work for wiring - even '93s, though there are a few changes you'll have to make, the vast majority will be there. Or watch the classifieds because harnesses are for sale semi-regularly.

Most of the "Lightning" parts seem like they're salvageable from your truck, excepting the seats. I think it's a great skeleton for restoration.
Most of "Lightning" stuff I lost is upper intake, 1 wheel, seats, and front bumper skirt. It melted the VIN tag off the dash so not sure how to go on resto with that. May just be a clone from now on??? Opinions on which way to go? Thought on resto with different sheet metal? Still lightning or not?

I cant answer the first question but I would suppose so. A lot of people swap over maf from 1996 truck to our lightning, so it should be a plug and play kit on regular f150 or vice versa.

If I am not mistaken, any gt40 upper intake will bolt on and get you by for now. The explorer GT40P or the Cobra 1993 intake.

Wonder how much fun those intakes are to find?

Our tubular intakes show up here regularly, but they're expensive. The Explorer intake, which performs within ~2% of the tubular intake, can be found on Ebay sometimes for a few hundred dollars.

Repro front bumper valences are easy to find.

Most of "Lightning" stuff I lost is upper intake, 1 wheel, seats, and front bumper skirt. It melted the VIN tag off the dash so not sure how to go on resto with that. May just be a clone from now on??? Opinions on which way to go? Thought on resto with different sheet metal? Still lightning or not?
No, dont give up on that vin. I am positive you can get a new vin. I do recall there being a way to get a new vin as long you have a valid reason like your old vin being burnt off. I will try to do some digging, whenever I can.

Is there a VIN on frame anywhere?
Should be on the top of the frame at or near the firewall, pass side. iifc
The metal number stamps and the star are avaliable.
I've seen a damage frame repair with some creative number repair work done. wink wink

Datatags was the place I got the plate. Can't find them on the web anymore.

Should be on the top of the frame at or near the firewall, pass side. iifc
The metal number stamps and the star are avaliable.
I've seen a damage frame repair with some creative number repair work done. wink wink

Datatags was the place I got the plate. Can't find them on the web anymore.
I will go look for VIN and see if I can find Datatags! Frame is good so I can use it but will replace all front suspension etc as I go back up with it.

I found a donor truck today not the best match but If I can snag it I will its great price $500 on a not beat up 93 short bed, 302 AOD (D and OD on shift indicator) Will see if he decides to sell.

What is different on a 94 or 95 302 truck as opposed to 351w truck on wiring harness etc? E4OD vs 4R70w or newer 4R100? Isn't E4OD and 4R100 nearly identical? I know I will have to find harness and shifter column for button on shifter if I get it.

Thanks guys!!!!

The frame VINs are on top of the R rail; one under the firewall/HVAC box; another under the passenger seat/rear cab wall or slightly rearward of that. They're not easy to find or read, even if the frame is exposed & clean.

(click this text)

I'd buy a set of steel stamps, and make my own Aluminum ID plate. It's not like you're trying to steal anything or defraud anyone. And whoever inspects the truck is only going to care that it's 1) present, & 2) legible. They won't know if it's a perfect copy, or even similar to what Ford installed.

The wiring is virtually the same for 5.0L & 5.8L. A 4R70W is very different from an E4OD, but the wiring is close. The button shifter is very common used, and still available new Ford or aftermarket.

I have a good empty '95 cab for sale just outside Memphis 38016.

(click this text)

The frame VINs are on top of the R rail; one under the firewall/HVAC box; another under the passenger seat/rear cab wall or slightly rearward of that. They're not easy to find or read, even if the frame is exposed & clean.

(click this text)

I'd buy a set of steel stamps, and make my own Aluminum ID plate. It's not like you're trying to steal anything or defraud anyone. And whoever inspects the truck is only going to care that it's 1) present, & 2) legible. They won't know if it's a perfect copy, or even similar to what Ford installed.

The wiring is virtually the same for 5.0L & 5.8L. A 4R70W is very different from an E4OD, but the wiring is close. The button shifter is very common used, and still available new Ford or aftermarket.

I have a good empty '95 cab for sale just outside Memphis 38016.

(click this text)
If I buy the 93 302 AOD truck I would need to find a complete engine, interior, and trans harness to work, wouldn't I?

If I buy the 93 302 AOD truck I would need to find a complete engine, interior, and trans harness to work, wouldn't I?
...or just modify the donor harness sections so they're wired like an L's. Then you'd only need to find a few connectors, like for the fog light switch (if you have a switch). It's very easy to re-pin the connectors & add a few wires here & there. This was a decade ago when I rebuilt my black Bronco:

(click this text)

(click this text)

This is my most-recent acquisition (which I bought running):

(click this text)

...or just modify the donor harness sections so they're wired like an L's. Then you'd only need to find a few connectors, like for the fog light switch (if you have a switch). It's very easy to re-pin the connectors & add a few wires here & there. This was a decade ago when I rebuilt my black Bronco:

(click this text)

(click this text)

This is my most-recent acquisition (which I bought running):

(click this text)
WOW that looks like a nightmare! Praying for a white 96 with MAS air to show up near me LOL!

I have always heard the L E4OD is different than other trannys, is there a big difference like 4R100 internals? Going to go through mine and buddy was asking about differences.

Back