Things are starting to come together

Was about to ask for an update, really debating a MS3X for my ranger

I can't say that it's a 100% success yet until I get my truck running and there is a learning curve. I've also complicated mine by adding the trans controller, my special EEC-IV adapter, and going full sequential with coil near plug and no distributor :) But hopefully I will get going an be able to let you know how it goes, it's a solid system and Jerry S. is running it so I think we'll be in good company :)

Also meant to add, let me know what you're planning and hopefully I can share some of the things I've learned.

302, with a vortech b trim, trick flow stage 1 cam, and 10:1 cr ratio
I'm planning on running the following
36-1 explorer crank sensor, and matching cam sensor,
Planned on running LS truck coils, gm IAT and Coolant sensors, Ford Iac,
A local tuner/friend recomended using this wideband with an NTK sensor.
http://bmotorsports.com/shop/

I really want to make use of the traction control but haven't heard too many sucesses with it.
Also may add a flex fuel sensor down the road

Might seem like a basic setup, but with an explorer ecu, explorer front accessories and the tight fit in the engine bay it complicates things a bit

OK, you're doing a lot of the same things I am. You can stick with your Ford sensors, TunerStudio has their info no need to buy new ones. The LS2 coils are solid, I always watch for them on Ebay, look for D585s. I think I'd rather use used OEM's than the Chinese knockoff replacements. Although for mine I am going with the IGN-1A race coils from DIYAutotune. They are the same as the Holley EFI "smart coils", but I am doing that because I plan on throwing a ton of boost at the motor along with E-85. I bought a set of cheapo sheet-metal valve covers that I will have stand offs welded to to mount the coils. Are you going to run that upper? if so you might have to mount the coils somewhere else.

I have the flex fuel sensor part# and pigtail part# saved along with some AN fittings to use with it. Depending on fuel flow some folks put it on the return and others create a small "loop" with the FF sensor in that as to not impede the return.

Sorry for the rambling post, had to go in to work for a bit and I am posting on the sly :)

Haven't gotten that far, it's a shortened and ported upper so there's a chance they will fit.
My buddy stacks up LS motors like cord wood so I'll probably snag a set of coils off him.

I was told the "good" LS coils have a little heat sink on them and they support just as much power as the pricy msd coils

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't gotten that far, it's a shortened and ported upper so there's a chance they will fit.
My buddy stacks up LS motors like cord wood so I'll probably snag a set of coils off him.

I was told the "good" LS coils have a little heat sink on them and they support just as much power as the pricy msd coils

302, with a vortech b trim, trick flow stage 1 cam, and 10:1 cr ratio
I'm planning on running the following
36-1 explorer crank sensor, and matching cam sensor,
Planned on running LS truck coils, gm IAT and Coolant sensors, Ford Iac,
A local tuner/friend recomended using this wideband with an NTK sensor.
http://bmotorsports.com/shop/

I really want to make use of the traction control but haven't heard too many sucesses with it.
Also may add a flex fuel sensor down the road

Might seem like a basic setup, but with an explorer ecu, explorer front accessories and the tight fit in the engine bay it complicates things a bit

Wow. I didn't know they discontinued the AFX. Guess I got a collector item. I love it, but the NGK wideband o2 is a little pricey if you foul it or it goes south.
Oh and your intake manifold is on backwards... :D

Here is one of the best widebands for megasquirt and he has one with a display if you need one but who needs a stinking display

looking good!!! Any installed pics yet with the intake elbow? I am wondering how tall it is and if there's any room for a 1" spacer

Seems to be shorter than my edelbrock elbow.
I had a 2" spacer so I could run it forward facing, I don't remember there being an issue with the stock hood

- - - Updated - - -

Seems to be shorter than my edelbrock elbow.
I had a 2" spacer so I could run it forward facing, I don't remember there being an issue with the stock hood

I am pretty sure this unit is intended to be side facing. Jamie V has one that looks better for that purpose. Although Aaron @ 6061.com says he does not make those any longer :( If you email him I bet he could confirm or even show you what he has available.

Interesting, I'll try to get my Super Vic out and post a couple of pics for reference then.

Does it have a Iac mount? What's the overall combo

The 90MM race does not have an IAC provision, I will have to use the IAC relocation kit.

Engine is a DSS Level 20 408w (all forged, girdle, etc etc). ~10:1, I need to call Bullet to get my cam lined out, but it will be a big hydraulic roller Cam Motion spec'd out .656/.600 246/252 so something like that. Super Vic intake, TFS 11R 205 heads, Kooks headers (kinda on the small side 1 3/4), 160lb injectors running E85 and a inter-cooled Novi 2000 making as much boost as possible :) MS3/3X Megasquirt all dequential with coil near plug and a Microsquirt running the trans.

looking good!!! Any installed pics yet with the intake elbow? I am wondering how tall it is and if there's any room for a 1" spacer

Here's a couple of pics, roughly 11 1/4" tall no spacer. Don't have heads yet to mock it up sorry.

E2CF8599-E9A9-48FB-B3CD-D54D28B001C8_zpsqwygkudw.jpg

C6150E44-7062-455B-B5B3-37184AD3CB17_zpswxpbngov_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back