Things are starting to come together

Got a bunch painted today. Firewall, framerails from trans forward, crossmember, and steering box. Brake booster will come off and get painted when I replace the lines. The rest just needs to get detailed, came out OK.

68BC02A3-A901-4FD2-B774-AFBB0106DB0D_zps98etmh0n.jpg

Spent the morning reading the entire thread. Wow Raymond you are doing it nice. I wish I had the energy to sound deaden the truck like you did, be nice not to hear those plastic door panels speak all the time from temperature changes and flexing while driving. Glad you stayed with the component sound system, it does sound noticeably better. There is actually enough room to mount the tweets to the outside of the door sheet metal so it lines up with the top part of the door panel speaker opening if that makes sense. This makes it so the tweets are closer to your ears and you hear them well. But where you have them works too, you just have to look at them and if that doesn't bother you, then don't change it.
The cleaning job you are tackling deserves respect. A ton of stuff has to come off to do it right like you are doing. We used the purple Zep at the Fire Station for cleaning the underside of the apparatus. The mechanics liked it and didn't seem to mind its ability. I did notice though ,as you did, it can dull the paint on parts it is allowed to sit on. Didn't seem to bother the clear coat but I wouldn't let it sit too long on it. We would let it set on the under side for ten minutes then hit it with a solvent brush like the ones used in parts cleaners then hit it with warm water pressure washer. That will clean it up nicely like you did. Paint on the engine cross-member looks killer.
Keep the momentum going, looks great.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it! It was so hot when I was installing the FatMat! But yeah def worth it.

You have me interested in the door mounting for the tweeter, I do not like where they are now. It just doesn't look right, but I hadn't figured out another alternative. Do you have any pics?

No I don't, but I can pull the door panel and take one if you like. Basically the tweets mount above the 6.5 speaker (but off center towards the dash)on the outside of the sheet metal door and lines up with the top edge of the grill opening on the door panel. Cross over is mounted to the door where the wires come through for the door control switches. Let me know.

OK Fred you made my day buddy. Heading out to get some tape. Thumbs up!

Don't forget the new panel fasteners - reused fasteners don't hold nearly as well. I did my door panels 4 yrs. ago and they're still squeak & creak free.

Today I went ahead and pulled the front bumper and inner fender panels. I also removed those massive PITA core support bushings. And I got that industrial degreaser crap in my eye, geeeez that hurt. I think I am OK I flushed it with water really well, but I might have to go to the doctor tomorrow :( And I had safety glasses on, but it was like one ninja drop was just waiting for me to poke my head under the front crossmember and splat! Perfect shot...

I'll post some pics tomorrow, I should have pulled all this prior to painting, but I didn't think I was going to take it so far apart. I looked today and it was just a handful of bolts so I thought why not :)

Clean, clean, and more clean. I keep finding stuff to hose down. Stock coils and shocks are coming out tomorrow, putting in a set of 1" springs I bought from Briansshop, just gonna paint the shock bodies and reinstall. I'll do calipers, brake lines, and rotors at another time.

20160227_202119648_iOS_zps6iipie5y.JPG

20160227_202127752_iOS_zpszipza0za.JPG

20160227_202140793_iOS_zpslqnt3iga.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got the rest of the front half of the frame painted. Somehow I jacked up my gun settings and freakin hosed on the first coat. I just keep telling myself, nobody will ever notice :)

20160228_221118619_iOS_zpsb1xkkpuw.JPG

Also while I was at it I tried some Mother's Back to Black on the fenderwells. I like it. My phone was taking crappy pics today and it doesn't show how nice the road side of the fenderwell came out.

20160228_225421120_iOS_zpsgjycrkux.JPG

20160228_231241111_iOS_zps5csuttxz.JPG

20160228_232326758_iOS_zpsddjgw3wk.JPG

20160228_232650102_iOS_zps34bzkis5.JPG

No pictures, but new coil springs are on too.

Before it went all back together.

20160228_221132560_iOS_sm_zpstn7c7a0b.JPG

Last edited:
Back