Things are starting to come together

Raymond, check the frame (engine cradle) while you down that far to make sure there aren't any cracks. Because if there are any where the ibeam pivot bracket bolts you'll need to pull the shortblock to fix it.

Looking great! Threads like this drive me crazy because I have way to much on my plate right now to do this to ours. Lol

Keep up the good work! Always nice to see one getting redone!

Thanks Jamie, I'll look.

So far so good, pics came out bad, but got all the important stuff clean.

AA8C0A5F-1DD7-476D-BD53-DE146772660F_zpsqnjseiws.jpg~original

Heck your that far you might as well pull it out and do the rear main seal too. Besides you can do everything on the stand a lot easier then in there.

That's true Jamie and I was thinking of dropping the pan and inspecting the bottom end, my only problem is storage. The house we bought had the garage converted in to a "studio", I am converting it back, but there's only so many hours in the day to split among projects :) I really should have done Garage then Lightning, but I couldn't help myself I am ready to drive it again.

Always better to do the pan gasket after the timing cover too!

(Did I talk you into it yet? :) )

Jamie knows. I've done cam and head swaps in the truck with good results but 2 other times it was a nightmare. One was a broken water pump bolt in the block and the other is a leaking oil pan gasket.

Well if I pull the stock SB out there's really nothing keeping me from putting this in... I was saving it for my 66 Mustang, but now I dunno

410w-2.jpg~original

7FC32500-C005-45EF-8876-C482D720C26E_zpsai3akudz.JPG

Last edited:
well heck put that thing in and use the one thats in your truck now for your Mustang ;k
Well if I pull the stock SB out there's really nothing keeping me from putting this in... I was saving it for my 66 Mustang, but now I dunno

410w-2.jpg~original

7FC32500-C005-45EF-8876-C482D720C26E_zpsai3akudz.jpg

This was my super exciting Sat night... Assembling the Megasquirt loom.

65F66197-A04E-4A8D-96E6-D79E7B8CBF8B_zpsw797nrkv.JPG

Last edited:
I hate wiring that's all I do all day 12-16 hours a day is wire, splice wire, fix wire, clean wire god it sucks!

It's not too bad, I can think of worse. Was also raining out and really hot, so inside was mucho better. It just gets tedious, I am setting it up so any of the Megasquirt options are available even if I am not using them now. So there's 40ish ends on each side of the firewall. I am also laying it down so I could just unplug the MS and plug in the factory stuff and it could be stock again.

Lightning-Planned-Pin-Usage.JPG

Last edited:
I've been trying to read and learn as much as I an find on the MS system. (Hasn't been all that long ago that I started) I have a 94 f-150 reg. cab/ short bed that has a bad 302 in it. I also have a wrecked 2002 super crew with a 5.4 and complete drive train. The mischievous part of my brain makes me think I want to try and merge the two... Lol

I have lots of patience and like learning but vehicle wiring isn't exactly my strong suit. I'm just wondering, do you have to have a phd in electrical engineering to put a kit like that together? Lol

Anyone can do it, but it takes a lot of research and planning. One thing people find daunting is simply understanding what MS is and then realizing there's no tech line and most shops don't want to mess with it due to the DIY aspect (although I would say more folks are embracing it as it becomes more mainstream). Then there are different versions and levels etc. I bought mine pre-assembled from DIYAutotune since I am lazy, but you can buy it as a kit and just solder it all up. From there you just have to search and read. Pretty good forum for research http://www.msextra.com/forums/

Also meant to add, there's no Ford trans control built in so you'd still have to run a trans controller. *But* there is an open source Trans controller that supports GM and Chrysler, I think it's only a matter of time until an adventurous soul get's it set up for a Ford. And really it wouldn't take much, but my main focus is getting the truck going. But you would end up with an awesome full aftermarket engine/trans setup.

Last edited:
I have lots of patience and like learning but vehicle wiring isn't exactly my strong suit. I'm just wondering, do you have to have a phd in electrical engineering to put a kit like that together? Lol
The key is to think of wiring as running one wire at a time, not the whole birdsnest. Wiring is usually as simple as powersource--->device---> ground. That said, It just seems complex when multiple devices share a common source, or ground but it really isn't. You should see under my train table. lol. MS would be a piece of cake compared to it.

OK, finally a night with no family, work, or friend commitments. So I got a bit of work done. Not much, but the the Megasquirt harness is pretty much complete on the interior side and ready to wire to sensors, coils, injectors, etc in the engine compartment. I really like these Delphi HES connectors, but geez they can be a PITA (mainly hard as hell to read the little numbers for the pins, hate getting old). Just need to run a few speaker and power wires and the interior can be all buttoned up.

Also got the Megasquirt talking Bluetooth to my Surface for wireless tuning and datalogging once the truck runs.

Back