Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

Off-roading...
dbbdfafd3467a307eadb5e6f9101ef9c.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

@FMOS Racing what dizzy did you find for your white truck? I’ve had a few random lost sync reason 13 I’m attributing to a pip issue . Seems to be becoming more common. Thinking I could stab a new dizzy before the LMR show just in case.

@FMOS Racing what dizzy did you find for your white truck? I’ve had a few random lost sync reason 13 I’m attributing to a pip issue . Seems to be becoming more common. Thinking I could stab a new dizzy before the LMR show just in case.
I had the same #13 right after start up and stinger told me to add a little ASE and I can't explain why but it solved that issue.

Both of my trucks have 1 missed sync practically every time I crank them, but I've never had any kind of an issue beyond seeing the indicator, so I haven't worried about it.

Red truck is a stock distributor. White truck just got a Performance Distributors Hot Forged DUI unit.

I had the same #13 right after start up and stinger told me to add a little ASE and I can't explain why but it solved that issue.
My sync loss happened once while in traffic, died wouldn’t start for about 15 minutes. Was fine the rest of the day. And once while cruising along in O/D just died, restarted about 15 mins later and was fine. I was data logging the last time and it was the only thing that I found (reason 13).

Both of my trucks have 1 missed sync practically every time I crank them, but I've never had any kind of an issue beyond seeing the indicator, so I haven't worried about it.

Red truck is a stock distributor. White truck just got a Performance Distributors Hot Forged DUI unit.

The main manual for MS3/3X states that a couple log entries upon startup is OK. The main thing is you NEVER want to lose sync after the vehicle is started and running.

That’s the one I found but wasn’t sure the HF DUI had the right harness plug. I’ll give them a ring. Thanks!

My sync loss happened once while in traffic, died wouldn’t start for about 15 minutes. Was fine the rest of the day. And once while cruising along in O/D just died, restarted about 15 mins later and was fine. I was data logging the last time and it was the only thing that I found (reason 13).
That's interesting, that reason is stated in the manual below. But doesn't really elaborate. Might be wiring or maybe pickup?

1699978113119.png

That's interesting, that reason is stated in the manual below. But doesn't really elaborate. Might be wiring or maybe pickup?

View attachment 104562

Yeah, during the 15 minutes it just me reseating the dist harness, module, checking battery etc. I don’t really see the pip being weird but maybe the connection or harness has issues. I’m more doing the dizzy for spare parts. If I pop it out and it looks suspect I’ll have parts.

I’m going out on tangents blaming my PWM fan but evidence suggests as you said, wiring or pickup.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but since I’m shopping for a dizzy I wanted to bring it up.

Too pretty for my daily driver. That old truck is getting some prime pieces!

A lot are better than my red truck... Different stage in life I guess.
1af867b90710034dfb8e189ba8ad5a89.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Didn't realize the pic was blurry until seeing it on the computer. I'll try to take better.

Install was messy and rough on my old man messed up rotator cuff, but really uneventful. Jack up the front end, remove the fluid connections and attempt to contain the mess, pull the Pitman arm, disconnect the steering shaft (note: the bolt has to be completely removed, not just loosened), remove the three mounting bolts, old unit is out.

I pressure-flushed the cooling loop with fresh fluid, ran fresh fluid through the pump using the starter, then the install was just the reverse of the removal process. About 90 minutes start to finish.

I did have to order a 1-5/16" socket to get the Pitman arm nut tight. I was able to get the nut off using a big crescent wrench and a jack handle, but getting it back on to 185 ft-lbs and a bum shoulder wasn't happening with that setup.

Last edited:
Very tame compared to Travis' work, but some progress! I tacked everything together and will have a pro finish it out. It'll be a direct bolt-in for the Bassani muffler. (Just noticed the EVAP line isn't in its bracket.)

IMG_20240203_124415344_HDR.jpgIMG_20240203_124613337_HDR.jpg

Looks great Jeff. Should sound very cool and get you the passing power a lightning deserves.

I like the rear turbo setup. Less intrusive in the engine bay, so you still get the Lightning specific feel.

Back