Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

A bad day and a good day...

I've been focusing on the rear end work (axle replacement, tubes welded, disc brakes, new lug studs, etc) to get the red truck back in action. I'd borrowed the distributor out of it when I did the cam swap on the white truck, and Saturday morning, I swapped the reman'ed base I'd bought into the white truck. Straightforward. I dropped it in close to on time, started the truck, it ran fine, and shut it down so I could setup to dial-in the timing. It made a little bit of a weird sound when it came to a stop, but the timing wasn't spot on, so I didn't think much of it.

It wouldn't restart. I lifted the cap on the distributor and bumped the motor and the rotor didn't turn. Well $%#@#$ the stupid roll pin must've sheared. Pulled the distributor and there was a little bit of damage on one section of the gear, but the roll pin was fine. I was baffled. But, oh well, I'll put the red truck distributor back in it.

I pulled the #1 plug to get the motor to TDC and there was almost no air movement in and out of the cylinder. The engine turned over but acted like it wasn't building compression. I shined a light into the distributor hole and bumped the motor... The cam didn't turn. Oh no...

So, I pulled the front cover, and this is what I found:
View attachment 104488
Cam is seized in the block. I have no idea how that happened. So, now I have to chart a path forward. I'd been intending to swap the motor out of the red truck into the white one, and getting a real motor for the red truck, but I thought I'd do that on my own schedule. I guess not.

Drove the red truck for the first time this year... Wow, how in the world did that happen??
View attachment 104489
I forget how much I love that thing.

Stay tuned.
Man Jeff, sorry to hear that! But consider your new build the silver lining! What kind of "real motor" are you planning for the red truck?

Well, I'm going to replace the cam, put a steel gear on the factory distributor, and put it back together. I'm going to raise the motor and change the pan gasket and motor mounts while I have the intake off, and have a look at the oil pump pickup.

Cheapest path forward.

You need to bore and stroke it. I've got a brand new K1 stroker crank I'll give you a deal on and a set of new ported and polished J302 heads that Steve Stock can tell you about. Or maybe stick in a Cleveland motor. I've got a set of new Boss heads and a Shelby dual plane dominator intake and carb. Or how about getting really crazy and put in a dual dominator Boss 302. I can set you up with that also 🤔 I know too many options 😱 tap on pictures for a good pic, I don't know why they show up fuzzy.

Roy

Attachments

• 2013-02-03_19-57-35_924.jpg
    2013-02-03_19-57-35_924.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2013-02-03_19-57-54_916.jpg
    2013-02-03_19-57-54_916.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201101_151044.jpg
    20201101_151044.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220226_153558.jpg
    20220226_153558.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I have that ford racing crate engine, I love it, it’s a great motor, would be fun in a lightning. I also love the eye candy of the boss motor with the dual dominators. Good luck rebuilding jeff, I know you mentioned you were looking for a timing cover, I will check my storage unit I may have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You folks have the thick wallets. I got the parts to fix it; hopefully have it back on the road Saturday.

Ratty old truck getting some high grade parts.

Billet, Torrington bearing, double-roller timing set and fancy distributor.

Probably should put the distributor in the red truck, but I'm going to convert it to CNP, so no reason to move stuff twice.

77f32d601f553b976834580dfb88fee1.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's just stock heads. Nothing at all to be gained with pedestal roller rockers except a lightening of my wallet!

Eventually I'll put heads on it with proper stud mount rockers.

It's a Rollmaster timing set. They're super popular with the LSx crowd.

Last edited:
I installed new motor mounts. Man the stockers were SHOT. Based on how nasty it is under there, I decided I wasn't going to drop the oil pan. I think I would've done more harm than good. I'll plan to pull the motor out sometime next year, when I have it planned and after I've collected all the necessary bearings and such. I don't think I'm going to touch the pistons/bores since the leakdown is so low.

IMG_20231028_133817800_HDR.jpg

I installed new motor mounts. Man the stockers were SHOT. Based on how nasty it is under there, I decided I wasn't going to drop the oil pan. I think I would've done more harm than good. I'll plan to pull the motor out sometime next year, when I have it planned and after I've collected all the necessary bearings and such. I don't think I'm going to touch the pistons/bores since the leakdown is so low.

View attachment 104548

Your restraint in fighting the "while you're at it" monster is admirable!!!

Back