Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

I'm thinking about trying a muffler on the wastegate instead of returning it to the outlet (seems weird to call it a "downpipe" since it will actually go up!). Anyone have any experience with that?

I'm probably going to use cheapo Summit 50mm wastegate and BOV. I figure this thing will be bypassing a lot of exhaust since I'm not going to ask it for much in the way of boost. So, that also seems weird to me. 2.5" supply with a 2" wastegate.

I've heard people talk about doing that but never seen someone actually follow thru. I would think a little straight thru "resonator" style muffler wouldn't hurt to much.

I run the original on3 60mm gate on my truck and as long as you take it apart and clean the metal chips out of it that china left behind it seems good. I learned that lesson after one was full on crap. Without going out and comparing to mine it looks like they may have revised it as the description says "new design"

Man, the Summit 50 mm wastegate is HUGE compared to the Tial 44mm on my red truck. It's a piston-type wastegate instead of the Tial's diaphragm design, so it's really tall and heavy in comparison.

Cold side is all figured out. Dropping the parts off with a buddy who can TIG it all together for me tomorrow.

Took both of the pickups to a 80's-90's car show Saturday. They went 1 and 2 for the "RADdest Truck." The judges said it was a toss-up. I would've laughed if the white one would've won.
IMG_20240224_083929336_HDR.jpg

Handed over my tacked together stuff to the welder yesterday. He said a couple of hours to TIG it all out.

I think I'm going remove the bed to run the cold side over the gas tank. The front tank level sender has "left the building" recently. so I need to replace that, and the vent line hoses are all a dried out mess. So, I'll use it as an opportunity to do some needed maintenance on 30 year old parts.

I'll clean up the peeling paint on the back of the cab as best as I can as well.

Handed over my tacked together stuff to the welder yesterday. He said a couple of hours to TIG it all out.

I think I'm going remove the bed to run the cold side over the gas tank. The front tank level sender has "left the building" recently. so I need to replace that, and the vent line hoses are all a dried out mess. So, I'll use it as an opportunity to do some needed maintenance on 30 year old parts.

I'll clean up the peeling paint on the back of the cab as best as I can as well.
Check all the brake lines really good while the bed is off. Makes running new lines a lot easier.

Red truck project! I'm actually going to put some Time Serts in the heads for the valve covers this weekend. First time I've had a valve cover off since 2018. I had some bolts that were too long in it at one time and they wrecked the threads. I finally got tired of the little leak.

White truck turbo stuff is at the coater.

Red truck project was so ridiculously anti-climatic. I've groused about that little leak for years, and it took maybe 90 minutes total to fix.

White truck stuff is back from the coater. Need to pull together the supporting hardware and get it slapped it. It may need a muffler on the wastegate outlet pipe. We'll see.

IMG_20240318_203729969.jpg
IMG_20240318_203722563.jpg
IMG_20240318_203736882.jpg

Last edited:
Weekend fun. Interesting note on how it sounds - it's probably not any louder than it was before, but it's different. Has more spit and crackle in it without the big muffler to soften the tone.

Took the pressure washer to it. Not too bad for 30 years old and 300K miles. I went over the rear crossmember and some other spots with some POR15.
IMG_20240323_155044406_HDR.jpg

Have a few little leaks to work out, one significant one at the V-band on the turbine discharge.
IMG_20240323_184225064_HDR.jpg

Laid the cold side out. Have a few welds to make, painting to do, etc. With the holiday, it'll probably be a couple of weeks before I wrap it up. The section across the tank required the bed to be removed, so thankfully I had it apart to do the front tank level sender.
IMG_20240324_161115779_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Which Comp turbo did you go with again? Interested to see how that oil less design does.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It's an older CT4-6767. I picked it up second hand. Seems to be happy. I'll have the bearing section upgraded in a couple of years.

Back