Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

I've never seen a cam sprocket break like that. So the cam is frozen in the block?

Good lawdy! Sounds like the universe is kicking you into the direction you wanted to go instead of a gentle push.

Seems like some torsional force had to exerted on the chain twisting to accomplish that. Like object between the block and gear went through while it was running.

Sorry man, I hope you get to enjoy them for all the work you’ve put in.

It's really weird, no bent pushrods or stuck lifters? Or have you pulled the intake yet?

I won't dig into it further until I have the engine on the stand. I'll get ready to yank it during the week and pull it on Saturday. The main focus will be to do a heart transplant from the red truck. It's a little melancholy to contemplate pulling it apart. I haven't touched the engine mechanically since 2017. I guess I still won't mess with the internals, though I'm tempted to swap the cam to something more naturally aspirated oriented.

The cam's position depth-wise in the block doesn't look unusual at all.

At the end of the day, the motor has almost 300K miles on it.

Cam isn't seized. Oil pump works fine. Sadly the face of the cam is distorted from the dowel twisting.

Trying to figure out what to do next.

Anyone know for certain if the 351 will put a piston into a valve at 0.82 valve lift, stock heads and pistons?

Do I rebuild this thing? Put heads on it? Rebuild and put heads on it?

On a separate note, the radiator in the red truck is leaking.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I vote to put the combo from the red truck in it and put a Godzilla in the red truck…… oh, that’s wasn’t one of the choices….. LOL
Kinda like where your going with this. But I vote for leave the motor in the red truck and put a Coyote in the white truck....dam that wasn't an option either

Well, technically all options are on the table at this point. My reluctance with the newer motors has always been modifying a relatively pristine Lightning frame.

Well, technically all options are on the table at this point. My reluctance with the newer motors has always been modifying a relatively pristine Lightning frame.
It's your daily driver though. The Red truck is a proven combo "not broke, don't fix it". The white truck is broke, it needs a Coyote or a Godzilla. Great daily driven motors.

Two sides of the distributor gear.
2535f0b4b6401fa4c9d00c37426f2b81.jpg
ccf9a4269302a655b009fb95d98e8156.jpg

No damage at all to the cam gear.
IMG_20231004_174407692.jpg
IMG_20231004_174413926.jpg

So, I am absolutely and completely baffled as to what happened. I'll do a leak down test on it tomorrow or Friday. If that's solid, then... well... I don't know why I can't just put a different cam AND DISTRIBUTOR in it and run it...

Even less sure of what I'm going to do.

Last edited:
That’s crazy man! Keep tearing it down. The culprit will show up. If not, could have been a bad cam timing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't stand it, so I tore it apart. Have to pull the lifters to get the cam out, unless you have those fancy magnet thingies, which I don't.

Last edited:

The coyote would require frame modification but from my understanding the Godzilla would not.

I couldn't stand it, so I tore it apart. Have to pull the lifters to get the cam out, unless you have those fancy magnet thingies, which I don't.

Ah OK, I was expecting a stuck lifter or mangled pushrod, stuck valve or something. This is just an odd one.

Leakdown this afternoon. Part of me hopes valves kissed pistons a little. Then I'll at least pull the motor for a freshening and put some aluminum heads on it.

Leakdown is 20% to 25% across the motor. 1 and 3 had valves way open when it failed, so I assumed they'd have been the most likely damaged, but no sign of anything.

Back