Things are starting to come together

Almost all back together. Just need to change the oil and fill it up with anti-freeze. One thing is for certain, belt alignment appears to be dead on, much better than previously.

20221204_030138476_iOS.jpg

20221204_225506972_iOS.jpg

I like that purple hue. Is that the new cosmetics?

Looking good Raymond!
Thanks Jeff! I had turned off the lights in the garage to see the laser and I did not even realize the purple color :) That's from a color changing Lightning sign my Wife bought me for my Birthday!

All back together and no cam signal... Checked the sensor and it is good, wiring checks out, next up troubleshooting the MS3/3X.

Trying hard to contain my inner upgrade monster, but the Nexus R5 is lookin' really good right now...

What makes the R5 better than the MS3, or Holley Terminator?

I've never used Holley, but from what I've seen just messing with the software there's a lot of ways it does stuff that I dislike, it's like they cater to the lowest common denominator. I also feel you par for every single upgrade/add on. That's a personal thing though and I am sure I'm wrong. **However** Holley is head and shoulders above other aftermarket EFI for coverage and aftermarket support. Meaning if you're not gonna geek out and do everything yourself then you'll have no problem finding a good tuner and/or a shop to install it.

Megasquirt is awesome and I really cannot/should not complain, but I am ready for less DIY and a more polished ecosystem.

So far there's nothing I dislike about Haltech other than the price. I've spoken with their tech support and it's first class, I've messed around with their NSP software and it is really, really nice. The R5 is an EFI and PDM together plus it can be a trans controller so tons of functionality, but it comes at a price.

I doubt I will really swap any time soon, just venting more than anything :)

I've never used Holley, but from what I've seen just messing with the software there's a lot of ways it does stuff that I dislike, it's like they cater to the lowest common denominator. I also feel you par for every single upgrade/add on. That's a personal thing though and I am sure I'm wrong. **However** Holley is head and shoulders above other aftermarket EFI for coverage and aftermarket support. Meaning if you're not gonna geek out and do everything yourself then you'll have no problem finding a good tuner and/or a shop to install it.

Megasquirt is awesome and I really cannot/should not complain, but I am ready for less DIY and a more polished ecosystem.

So far there's nothing I dislike about Haltech other than the price. I've spoken with their tech support and it's first class, I've messed around with their NSP software and it is really, really nice. The R5 is an EFI and PDM together plus it can be a trans controller so tons of functionality, but it comes at a price.

I doubt I will really swap any time soon, just venting more than anything :)
I have a similar opinion of the holley stuff. I've tuned a few of the "throttle body" style efi conversions and they leave much to be desired. never touched anything above the terminator X, Maybe the higher end stuff is better. Haltech has always grabbed my attention as well and I really like there dash layout as well.

I have a similar opinion of the holley stuff. I've tuned a few of the "throttle body" style efi conversions and they leave much to be desired. never touched anything above the terminator X, Maybe the higher end stuff is better. Haltech has always grabbed my attention as well and I really like there dash layout as well.
The only real complaint i have with the Holley on my truck would be the stupid china harness. there harnesses are pieces of crap. but otherwise i have not had a issue and its really nice.

I've tuned the Holley stuff on some other vehicles. Just yesterday a coworker, who is putting an LS motor into a classic car, asked me my opinion on which EFI he should use, and I told him the Holley, simply because it is so widely understood and used, and it works.

Both of my trucks have the Stinger PxS in them, and I'm super happy with it for the cost, ease of install, and the end results.

I'll continue to fiddle with the expansions for it, and I've picked up Billy's CNP setup to play with at some point.

OK, was able to get a good cam signal last night. Was too late to start the truck, but I will be doing that in a few hours hopefully. This is really weird, and I need to explain some Megasquirt info. The Megasquirt MS3 can have an expansion card added making it an MS3X which is what I have. That expansion card is where the cam signal goes and it can accept either a VR sensor signal or a hall sensor signal, **but** in order to use a hall sensor you must place a jumper on the expansion board. Mine did not have the jumper which triggers a big WTF as the truck has run with both a VR sensor (that's initially what I had until it ate the drive gear) and a hall sensor which is the MSD cam sensor I have presently. I am completely stumped as to why it worked when I swapped over to the MSD.

My only theory is that when you run a crank trigger wheel with missing teeth the computer only needs the cam signal at startup to determine engine position and then it is not needed. So maybe it was getting enough of a signal to start, dunno.

OK, was able to get a good cam signal last night. Was too late to start the truck, but I will be doing that in a few hours hopefully. This is really weird, and I need to explain some Megasquirt info. The Megasquirt MS3 can have an expansion card added making it an MS3X which is what I have. That expansion card is where the cam signal goes and it can accept either a VR sensor signal or a hall sensor signal, **but** in order to use a hall sensor you must place a jumper on the expansion board. Mine did not have the jumper which triggers a big WTF as the truck has run with both a VR sensor (that's initially what I had until it ate the drive gear) and a hall sensor which is the MSD cam sensor I have presently. I am completely stumped as to why it worked when I swapped over to the MSD.

My only theory is that when you run a crank trigger wheel with missing teeth the computer only needs the cam signal at startup to determine engine position and then it is not needed. So maybe it was getting enough of a signal to start, dunno.
This sent me down a rabbit hole, thanks. Also sounds like the signal is similar enough to work under some circumstances. I didn’t read about the jumper but I imagine it allows for faster sampling or better signal resolution. Or maybe is protection from the sensor signal. Let us know what you find.

This sent me down a rabbit hole, thanks. Also sounds like the signal is similar enough to work under some circumstances. I didn’t read about the jumper but I imagine it allows for faster sampling or better signal resolution. Or maybe is protection from the sensor signal. Let us know what you find.

Got it running tonight and brought it up to operating temp, but had some issues with sync loss and resets. I am going to double check the cam sensor potentiometers and make sure the crank sensor gap is right.

OK, not declaring victory yet, but re-adjusting the cam input pullup potentiometer seemed to do the trick. Running with no sync loss issues and no MS resets. I revved it to about 3800 and it made 5 pounds of boost! Here it is actually outside the garage :)

I guess I should post a summary of how the truck is set up now. I just could not bring myself to hammer out a magnet on a $700.00 balancer so I ended up with a 12 tooth non-missing tooth crank wheel and the same MSD cam sensor. It does take a bit of extra work to get the "Tooth #1 Angle" right when doing it this way, but all seems good now. I ended up with 10 degrees for this setting. Also, and just FYI for any future users the Holley crank sensor and the MSD cam sync should be set to rising edge NOT falling edge I overlooked that little gem in the Holley sensor directions which caused some higher RPM sync loss. Once that was changed all is well to around 6400 RPM. I used a Holley vs the Innovators West sensor because it already had the same connector as what I had previously installed otherwise the sensor is exactly the same as the IW. I also definitely recommend performing the steps in the picture below to verify timing if you are using a Megasquirt, for other EFI systems look in their docs. I mention this because I made a mistake initially calculating the tooth angle and was basically running -10 degrees less timing than the MS though I was. It's an easy thing to check, but a lot of people skip it. Oh, last thing, injectors can pull a good bit more than 5A at WOT, ask me how I know :)

verify timing.JPG

If anyone cares, here's the ignition setup.

current ignition settings.JPG

Last edited:
In future highly recommend 60/2 bosch crank triggers. Anything under 20 tooth count for a V8 is just going to be imprecise.

In future highly recommend 60/2 bosch crank triggers. Anything under 20 tooth count for a V8 is just going to be imprecise.

Oh believe me I hated going from a 36-1 wheel to this 12 tooth wheel, however if you want to keep your belt alignment in the stock location and have a small block Ford your damper and trigger wheel options are VERY limited.

Last edited:
Been playing around with a different style blower brace. The other one is at a tight angle and is really hard to get bolted to the back of the head, plus the blower plate slightly interferes with the blower body.. 3D printed out the blower side and exhaust side and used a nice stainless steel turnbuckle. 20230204_180938781_iOS.jpg

Back