Factory Big Brake Kit

As previously stated and the pictures show, our spindles are completely different. they wrap around the 11.71" rotors to hold the brake pads. The larger 12.83" rotor wont even slide on without hitting. The spacing on the bolt holes is completely different, with different size bolts and location.

Yup never mind missed the very first pic.

The 8.8 does exist...almost bought one from a local junkyard just I didn't want the whole axle just the disc brake brackets and such but they said al or none. I believe it was a 05 though but I know there's 04's out there too. It's almost like they added disc brakes to the rear later in the year...maybe used up the last drum brake setups first

Crazy... I dug around on Car-part... Found this listed

"2004 Rear Axle Ford Van 150 3.73,8.8,V750E,DISC,ABS,4.6L"

I did a bunch more digging and it looks like there really is a 8.8" with rear disc on these vans when they have a 4.6L... But I think it won't be cost effective to try and "piece a kit together"...

Now the REAL question I have is what size are the discs? are they vented? are they the same rotors as what the 9.75" uses... etc So many questions...

Last edited:
They are the same size as the disc on the 9.75 which is 13.03" and I don't believe they are vented but I'd have to verify

I just want to see one and see if the brackets are easily duplicated and such then all a person would have to do is buy calipers, rotors and hoses.

Can you elaborate on what other calipers work with the TSM kit. Did you find something with E-Brake provisions. I have that kit with the calipers but I've heard bleeding them is a PITA.

Can you elaborate on what other calipers work with the TSM kit. Did you find something with E-Brake provisions. I have that kit with the calipers but I've heard bleeding them is a PITA.

In the picture they look like GM calipers... Sorry, but I prefer OEM off the shelf Ford parts...

Ok, so do we have a good parts list for this swap yet? And, idk if I'm reading this correctly, but with this swap, our bolt pattern will change? Or no?

Ok, so do we have a good parts list for this swap yet? And, idk if I'm reading this correctly, but with this swap, our bolt pattern will change? Or no?

Same bolt pattern, parts list is in one of the other posts. 2004-2006 E150 + 87-96 lower ball joint.

I guess I misunderstood the guy and only got the front brakes for the $350.00.
big_front_brakes_001.jpg

No I did not but should not have a problem getting the spindles.Plus I'm not going to rush into this project.

I guess I misunderstood the guy and only got the front brakes for the $350.00.
big_front_brakes_001.jpg

Umm? did you really pay $350 for that? One block from my house- Crazy Ray's pull yer own yard, rotors=$12,calipers=$13,spindles=$17 and the calipers come w/the hoses. That's about all you need from the junkyard,right? Looks like $84 and a little time. Hmm! I may have to go into business. Oh and by the way, rear end=$65 includes rotors and all.

Umm? did you really pay $350 for that? One block from my house- Crazy Ray's pull yer own yard, rotors=$12,calipers=$13,spindles=$17 and the calipers come w/the hoses. That's about all you need from the junkyard,right? Looks like $84 and a little time. Hmm! I may have to go into business. Oh and by the way, rear end=$65 includes rotors and all.

Ya, but the likelihood of a Pull-a-Part yard having a 2004-2007 E150 is extremely rare and probably impossible, Those vehicles are selling for a bout $2,500 to 4,000 at the wrecked auctions.

If you can sell me a a complete front setup for $250 I'll buy it today. That would put about $166 in your pocket. I'll pay you for the disc rear 8.8 stuff too.

Ok so I have been thinking and wondering about the bigger disc. If you cut off the arm that holds the brake pads on the 94 spindle will the disc bolt up and are the bearings and races the same size ? second can a adaptor be made that bolts to the 94 spindle to accept the bigger rotors. Then you would not need to replace the spindle . The adaptor would need to be milled to hug ,cradle what ever to bolt securely and position the bigger rotors. I'll measure the bolt spacing on the bigger rotors VS the 94 bolt pattern that I dont have.

Thanks for your post.....................

I didn't mean to sound like a "know it all" or anything. It just seemed to be a little high of a price for what you got. I guess maybe prices for stuff like that on the left coast is a little higher than in MD.

I have decided against this mod because it seems like the money and effort involved is a bit much for a little improvement. But, what really made me decide to not do this was that I would have to switch out spindles and ball joints. I just did all that a year ago and i am not looking forward to doing it again. If there was a way to do this swap without changing spindles, I would probally be in!!! Hope you can figure out a real "bolt on" option.

Last edited:
Back