Factory Big Brake Kit

jwbronco

Speed Limited By $$
Well I decided to post this and let people decide if they want to test it or not. I posted this on the Aftermarket Brake Kit posting already but thought maybe this might need it's own thread.

I think I've figured out how to do factory big brakes but I haven't had a chance to test my theory since my truck broke and I'm deployed till next month. Now my idea will only work if you have a 94 or 95 because they have the bolt on calipers.

Here's the parts needed.
2004-07 E150 rotors that are 12.83"
2004-07 E150 caliper with bracket and installation hardware, they are twin piston.
Brake pads for the caliper.
10x lugnuts
maybe a few misc bolts...not sure if the installation hardware includes the brass washer for the brake hose.

Here's my logic for why they should work. In 2003 the E150 had the exact same caliper and same rotor size as we had on the 94-95 Lightnings. In 2004 they had bigger rotors and twin piston calipers. The bracket used looks like it's designed to just bolt to where the original caliper went. The bearings for the front never changed and I have to believe that Ford just made a bracket and didn't change the front suspension. Because I didn't get a chance to test it I can't verify it. The only thing that will change is your front lug nuts because according to specs the lug nuts are larger on the E150. If you didn't want to spend much money the best thing to do would be to buy just the caliper bracket http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...-141043-545728 and test it to see if it fits before buying anything else.

I like the idea, hope this works, it would be real nice to have a "bolt on" upgrade, with parts that dont have to be machined or custom ordered.

FWIW, guys on the SHO club have done similar using cobra mustang parts and figuring out what factory pieces were needed to make it work.

Alright, I am heading to the junkyard this weekend to do some measuring and test fit what I can onto a 94-95 f-150. I have a 93' but if this is possible, I will be getting some 94-95 spindles. Gonna try to basically do the whole e150-f150 swap right there in the junkyard or atleast get to a point were I am sure it would work or not. I will post up my findings on Sun. evening.
I hope this works and boy am I going to look like a wackjob putting parts back on a vehicle in the pull yer own yard!

Last edited:
That's awesome to know. You said the lug nuts are bigger.....you mean the outside size of the nut or the stud size?

I wish I could go tommorow to check it out but, gotta a side job lined up that is going to pay for a Circle D TC so I am not putting this one off!! gonna go first thing Sun. a.m.

That's awesome to know. You said the lug nuts are bigger.....you mean the outside size of the nut or the stud size?

Well according to the specs our studs are 1/2 20 and the specs listed for E150 are .60. I'm thinking that maybe the studs are now metric threaded.

Alright, I am heading to the junkyard this weekend to do some measuring and test fit what I can onto a 94-95 f-150. I have a 93' but if this is possible, I will be getting some 94-95 spindles. Gonna try to basically do the whole e150-f150 swap right there in the junkyard or atleast get to a point were I am sure it would work or not. I will post up my findings on Sun. evening.
I hope this works and boy am I going to look like a wackjob putting parts back on a vehicle in the pull yer own yard!

Just to add some icing to the cake for you all. The 2004-06 or 07 had an 8.8 axle with disc brakes and a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. They had 13" rotors too so if you're going to junkyard see if you can get the brakets off of the axle and such.

The link was to the caliper bracket for a 2006 E150. Just go to rockauto.com and look it up....the link got shortened

Just to add some icing to the cake for you all. The 2004-06 or 07 had an 8.8 axle with disc brakes and a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. They had 13" rotors too so if you're going to junkyard see if you can get the brakets off of the axle and such.

Yea, will do. I will check out whatever is possible without dismantling and reinstalling the whole "truck" section at my local pull yer own yard.Just so I am correct here - I am looking for 04-07 e150's? I will be looking to see if the caliper bracket for the front brakes will bolt in place of the 94-95 calipers . If not see if the whole spindle setup can be used. Check out the rear and see what may be involved in swaping to rear disc setup from said van. Any measurments or anything else anybody can think of that I should be aware of.
I would imagine the rear disc setup would involve something like what is needed to use the Explorer rear discs. I know some fab work is involved with that.

For some reason I seem to remember looking at these van front brakes before and kinda just passing by them for some reason. Don't remember why but, i do remember looking at the two pistons and thinking they would be nice for my pickemup truck. I will inspect and dismantle as is needed and report back on Sun. I can't beleive someone hasn't tried this before! Where are some of the "older" active members on this idea? Has this never come up before now?

Yea, will do. I will check out whatever is possible without dismantling and reinstalling the whole "truck" section at my local pull yer own yard.Just so I am correct here - I am looking for 04-07 e150's? I will be looking to see if the caliper bracket for the front brakes will bolt in place of the 94-95 calipers . If not see if the whole spindle setup can be used. Check out the rear and see what may be involved in swaping to rear disc setup from said van. Any measurments or anything else anybody can think of that I should be aware of.
I would imagine the rear disc setup would involve something like what is needed to use the Explorer rear discs. I know some fab work is involved with that.

For some reason I seem to remember looking at these van front brakes before and kinda just passing by them for some reason. Don't remember why but, i do remember looking at the two pistons and thinking they would be nice for my pickemup truck. I will inspect and dismantle as is needed and report back on Sun. I can't beleive someone hasn't tried this before! Where are some of the "older" active members on this idea? Has this never come up before now?

I'm not sure but 2004 might be one of those mid year things so be carefull on that one. All of my research has led me to believe if you see the double piston caliper it will be the big rotor too. The double piston caliper has a wider bolt pattern and when you look at the bracket it it shows a narrower pattern where it would bolt to the spindle or whatever. In 2003 the caliper from those vans is the same part number as the original lightning ones.

As for the rear disc brakes, I'm assuming it's the typical mount to the flange on the outer part of the housing...4 bolts and that bracket gives a mounting point for the caliper or another bracket. I haven't found a picture of one personally but honestly the ones from the 9.75" axle might work too as long as they're from the van. The only problem I haven't figured out, if it's even a problem is the bolt hole size and maybe the rotor will fit loosely over the studs. Might actually be worth while to change to bigger studs on your stock axle because then they all would match F/R.

I've been wanting to say something about my research for about the last year or so but didn't want to say without being able to test it first. It's really frustrating being deployed and not being able to test ideas and such too. I hope you can find all the parts for cheap and that they all work out as thought. Trust me this won't be the last idea for upgrades from me though...I'll be doing some things next month when I get back.

In the Rock Auto listings, it shows the wheel studs are 1/2-20 with a knurl shank .619".
I will be interested in the results of the findings. I'm up in the air as to what I want to do with the frontend.
I have 11.6" rear cobra discs on the IRS and was hoping for a 14" disc up front but 13" would be acceptable. I would love to be able to use a factory setup with easy to obtain parts in the future.
It's either a simple setup like this or a complete custom suspension swap with aftermarket brakes. One of these will cost more than the other.:gl:

Back