traction bars 101

the james duff bars really just stop wheel hop, they do not provide any aid in lifting the front end like lfp or jlp bars

IIRC long bars dont help lift the front end, the help push the rear down, and i'm not even sure if long bars do that, i think its just ladder bars

but i could be wrong

IIRC long bars dont help lift the front end, the help push the rear down, and i'm not even sure if long bars do that, i think its just ladder bars

but i could be wrong

Your are right and wrong all at the same time. The long bars act kinda like ladder bars because they attach to the frame at a single point. The bars do nothing to push the rear down the shocks and leaf springs do that. But the bars DO apply the rotational force of the rearend to the frame which in turn trys to lift the truck up. Those 99 dollar bars just pull backwards on the frame when the rear rotates so it helps NONE with traction only rear end rotation.

i see good sir, thanks for clearing up on that

IIRC ladder bars actually push the rear down against the weight of the vehicle right? to actually aid in traction as much as possible?

ya spence, when the axle hops the pinion (front of rear axle, Pinion flange) is rotating upward. so imagine if you have a bar that sits 3 inches below the axle also attached to it. when it try's to rotate upward, the energy is transfered through the bar and up to the frame via the mounting bracket, providing some aided lift...... i actually had to have a guy who does this type of stuff to explain it to me and how it worked.......so your not the only one who didn't understand it at first, i actually wanted to build some traction bars on top of the axle like the james duff version, but after it was explained to me, it was a no brainer..........LONG BARS all the way..and there was a huge difference in the way the truck would take off, after i built mine. it was actually pretty cool feeling to feel the front end rise up on the truck more than normal...........

Last edited:
I got them from my parts supplier, LightningDans white truck, they were NOS, I gotta say somewhere in the $350-400 range :headscratch:

nice save! lol dont let them know how much i gave them to u for, otherwise they will think im a total crack head

turbocrack.jpg

i heard drywall adds 150hp plus

damn i love seeing these trucks hauling things, moved my tool box, cart, and some other crap the other day

sent the pic to my buddy with a cobra, and said "put that in your cobra and haul it"

he gives me crap cuz i could have a much faster mustang for the same money....but i love my truck!

Long bars DO NOT lift the front end. They would have to be rigidly attached to the axle housing to do so. Long bars are nothing more than a very expensive and cumbersome way of controlling axle wrap (and the subsequent wheel hop). I don’t get the fascination with them – I’d run a pair of cheap chrome slapper bars before I’d pi$$ away $350+ on a pair of metal tubes and some brackets. But they sure do look ‘racey’. :rolleyes:

edit-1.jpg

Long bars DO NOT lift the front end. They would have to be rigidly attached to the axle housing to do so. Long bars are nothing more than a very expensive and cumbersome way of controlling axle wrap (and the subsequent wheel hop). I don’t get the fascination with them – I’d run a pair of cheap chrome slapper bars before I’d pi$$ away $350+ on a pair of metal tubes and some brackets. But they sure do look ‘racey’. :rolleyes:

edit-1.jpg

nuke-war-h001.jpg

traction bar war! duck an cover!

They would apply force parallel straight through the bar, correct? So if the bar was parallel to the ground it would just push forward on the bracket, but if there is an angle where the axle mounting point is lower than the frame mouting point it would apply somewhat of an upward force helping to transfer weight to the rear. I'm pretty sure that most of the bars have that angle when installed.

All I know is that my James Duff bars stop my wheel hop and I get zero wheel spin. They do the job they were intended to do. They def don't lift the front of my truck.

edit-1.jpg

The long bars act kinda like ladder bars because they attach to the frame at a single point.........But the bars DO apply the rotational force of the rearend to the frame which in turn trys to lift the truck up. Those 99 dollar bars just pull backwards on the frame when the rear rotates so it helps NONE with traction only rear end rotation.

They would apply force parallel straight through the bar, correct? So if the bar was parallel to the ground it would just push forward on the bracket, but if there is an angle where the axle mounting point is lower than the frame mouting point it would apply somewhat of an upward force helping to transfer weight to the rear. I'm pretty sure that most of the bars have that angle when installed.

It's pretty cut and dry if you really think about it. Look at your diagram. The bars do not create acutal "lift" but they are angled upwards and in turn try to lift the truck up. And becaus they are not attached "rigid" to the rear like you said they do not force the rearend into the ground (like I said).

Just for the record they do more then stop wheel hop! they transfer rotational force forward in whichever angle they are pointing. Those $99 bars help stop wheel hop by pulling backwards on the frame. Hey I bet those $99 bar will help you 60' better in reverse! :D

Spencedaddy Big Poppa $

King of the reverse drag race
;k;k;k;k

"Its always better in the back"

or

"I do it backwards"

or

"Azz First"

any other good slogan ideas?

Back