traction bars 101

Spencedaddy

$pencedaddy
Alright, so i woke up a bit early on my day off to get these things on...

And i love them

Install was pretty easy...i needed my cheater pipe, and a few extensions and long sockets to get everything done

Issues i ran into

the bracket on these trucks wont really line up right without switching some stuff around...not a big deal really, just flipped the bracket around and moving a washer....stupid stuff

the brackets you will be needing are the ranger brackets...they work "okay" but are not the best, i would make myself some better brackets but its not a big deal yet, if there were some interest i'd fab some up and sell them through paul, but thats for another day

to install, first put in the big bracket, and test fit, marking where to drill the holes

then go get yourself a metal bit from a hardware or auto store and use LUBE to help with the drilling and go slow..also, make sure not to drill too close to the edge of the bracket, just in case

REVIEW

for starters, my mods are simple, punisher vb, cold air intake, fiberglass rollpan, and bumped timing, along with heavily shimmed slapper bars

when i put in the punisher, the truck would wheel hop pretty badly, things would fly about, and orphans would be crushed by my hopping 285s

it was uncomfortable, dash cracking, and a bit worrying, even with the shimmed up slapper bars

after the install, i drove the truck over some major bumps, and there was no really noticeable suspension stiffening, by "no really noticeable" i mean yeah it was a bit stiffer, but not enough that your spine is being shortened every speedbump you hit.

i went to my favorite stop sign, and got on it, the tires squealed from a start, got traction again, and the truck climbed smoothly to 45.

the shift was so smooth i almost didn't expect it, the only thing that is really similar is being in a car that will break traction like that with an automatic and IRS or some other form of suspension like that, its very smooth, and sudden.even kicks the tail out just a bit. when traction is back, there is nothing but smooth.

keyword in this, is smooth...no hopping, jarring, just a clean break of traction and squealing with no chirping in between

all in all, great mod, i'd buy them for twice the price honestly, i just wish the brackets fit a bit more, but i'm sure i could have some made if people wanted them
excuse the blurry pics, i was having trouble holding my phone for some reason

jimmy you runnin a punisher vb?

plus, what did you pay for those ranchos?

someone let me borrow some bars and i'll shoot them on for a bit and compare!:cool:

:thumbup: Do you have a part number handy for those shocks? TIA! :)

I do not atchually but let me see i might still have the boxes floating around in my parts pile somewhere

jimmy you runnin a punisher vb?

plus, what did you pay for those ranchos?

someone let me borrow some bars and i'll shoot them on for a bit and compare!:cool:

Nope no VB yet. Going to get a VB and converter next spring one i get this blower all bolted up.

I got them from my parts supplier, LightningDans white truck, they were NOS, I gotta say somewhere in the $350-400 range :headscratch:

Always hackin on him! Ha ha ha! Seriously though guys, these work just as advertised and are hundreds less than longbars. Maybe not for everyone, but def a great mod for many.

Okay VB and these bars are next on my list. Where do I order them from? do I just order them for a ranger? Or do I need to call and customize my order?

call up james duff engineering and tell them you have an L, and you need the ranger brackets only....

thats it, theyll know what to do, there's a guy named Brian, he's the one who helped me out
also, go buy yourself a metal bit,

call up james duff engineering and tell them you have an L, and you need the ranger brackets only....

thats it, theyll know what to do, there's a guy named Brian, he's the one who helped me out
also, go buy yourself a metal bit,

Gotcha Thanks. Ill give them a call very soon.:)

the james duff bars really just stop wheel hop, they do not provide any aid in lifting the front end like lfp or jlp bars.... or my own that i built, but for the price if all your lookin for is to stop wheel hop then go for it, but i would choose another route for my self personally, i would want long bars!! oh wait i did build my own and they came out legit too

Last edited:
-Ordered up my bars today, getting them Fri.
-Make sure you ask for Brian though, the other 2 employees that attempted to help me while I was waiting for Brian to get off the phone, had no idea what I was talking about.

$114- shipped to NY, can't go wrong for that price.

local friend of mine had a similar set up on his street Lightning(393/s-trim/tuned).....it puts down quite a bit of power.

He's always ran the stock style/size tires and just delt with the tire spin on the street and used slicks @ the track.

Recently he saw tbones thread on the wheels widening and the 390 tires. Needless to say ol' tbone cost my friend $2000.

So he takes his new rear tire/wheel combo on the street and he can't floor it w/o wheel hop.

He had to break down and get some long bars.

He called me totally happy. Said that with 30 psi in the tire and the bars he can nail it on the street and it connects n/p....everytime.

He went through some heck to get the bars but basically said he wished it was something he had done a long time ago.

local friend of mine had a similar set up on his street Lightning(393/s-trim/tuned).....it puts down quite a bit of power.

He's always ran the stock style/size tires and just delt with the tire spin on the street and used slicks @ the track.

Recently he saw tbones thread on the wheels widening and the 390 tires. Needless to say ol' tbone cost my friend $2000.

So he takes his new rear tire/wheel combo on the street and he can't floor it w/o wheel hop.

He had to break down and get some long bars.

He called me totally happy. Said that with 30 psi in the tire and the bars he can nail it on the street and it connects n/p....everytime.

He went through some heck to get the bars but basically said he wished it was something he had done a long time ago.

oh and BTW tbone....my friend says thanks for putting together such a nice truck of yours. You cost him $2000 :scared1: :didimiss:

Back