Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

This popped up in my photo history. 25 years ago... WFC1, Bowling Green.

012e7f6c72b2a931509aaf324065828f.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding Calculated fuel, Did you do the “Double injector size” with the 60’s or go exact? I’ve been wondering if and why it matters.

I've used their "preferred" method, but I may experiment with the other since it uses less squirts per cycle. I'd like to see if that will increase the stability of the AFRs.

Regarding Calculated fuel, Did you do the “Double injector size” with the 60’s or go exact? I’ve been wondering if and why it matters.

I did not go with their injector setup when I had my 42lb injectors. I put the correct info, 8 injectors and their correct size.

I did not go with their injector setup when I had my 42lb injectors. I put the correct info, 8 injectors and their correct size.

I’m almost 100% positive mine are set up the same with 80’s. I will confirm later when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For batch/gang fire, the instructions recommend the double-size, 4 injectors, 4 squirts, alternating for injectors up to 60 lbs, then correct-size, 8 injectors, 2 squirts, simultaneous above that. I had the double-size settings with the 19s and it seemed to be fine. And this one may be as well - there's nothing particularly wrong with the way it runs, I'm just a bit OCD about some of the tune settings, and seeing it stretch out the O2 correction at steady state makes me want to fiddle with things... So, I'm going to try it the other way and will report the results. That's part of the fun of this stuff!

My red truck is very AFR stable with bigger injectors, but it's also sequential.

Last edited:
Made the change yesterday afternoon, took a 6 mile tuning drive, and I'm amazed at the difference. Not only is it more stable, but there are some really interesting changes in the VE table (which is technically a fuel load table, they just call it VE). I data logged my drive to work this morning, and will log it again this afternoon, work on the table, then share the results.

I’m a firm believer of “junk in junk out” so I never used that “double the injector size” recommendation. I went right to the correct number of injectors and it worked good for me.

For batch/gang fire, the instructions recommend the double-size, 4 injector, 4 squirts setup to 60 lbs, then correct-size, 8 injector, 2 squirts above that. I had the double-size settings with the 19s and it seemed to be fine. And this one may be as well - there's nothing particularly wrong with the way it runs, I'm just a bit OCD about some of the tune settings, and seeing it stretch out the O2 correction at steady state makes me want to fiddle with things... So, I'm going to try it the other way and will report the results. That's part of the fun of this stuff!

My red truck is very AFR stable with bigger injectors, but it's also sequential.
Made the change yesterday afternoon, took a 6 mile tuning drive, and I'm amazed at the difference. Not only is it more stable, but there are some really interesting changes in the VE table (which is technically a fuel load table, they just call it VE). I data logged my drive to work this morning, and will log it again this afternoon, work on the table, then share the results.
While you are experimenting, what are you doing with TC lockup? I’m set to only lockup in OD - has anyone benefited on the performance side? I don’t want to test until I figure out which torque converter I have. ;)

I had mine set to only lock in OD for normal driving but I had it set to lock in 2nd & 3rd (but not in OD) with the race lockup settings.

I had mine set to only lock in OD for normal driving but I had it set to lock in 2nd & 3rd (but not in OD) with the race lockup settings.

I have mine set to lock in OD at 52mph in normal. Can’t get the race mode to work. It locks and unlocks. I’m sure I’ve got a setting wrong somewhere. Jamie you don’t happen to have a pic of your race mode settings in MS, do you?

Race mode is an "and" operation, so RPM AND MPH have to be met. That lock/unlock happens when you lock based on MPH and then RPM drops below the threshold, so it unlocks. Set either RPM or MPH artificially low for all gears you want it to lockup in, and then set the other variable to where you want it to lock.

I lock at 35 mph in all gears, but mine is also my driver and I'm trying to wring the most mileage I can out of it. I drive about ten miles of my 30 mile commute in 35-45 mph zones.

Heat map of the percent change (note that this isn't the raw difference in numbers, but the mathematical percent change of the value in that cell, [Vnew-Vold]/Vnew). Plus (Blue) is fuel added, Negative (Red) is fuel removed.The lowest column and row are tuned by me, and it's in idle or coast down there, so they're not overly relevant. Same for the lower right portion of the table. That's just me messing around and nudging it in the direction it seemed everything else went. I'll also adjust the 6000 RPM column.

I found it interesting that the high peak discussed earlier had the lowest amount of change, but it's still there as a pretty significant peak. Puzzles me that it wasn't a fairly straightforward percentage change across the board, or that it didn't say scale by RPM.

It's not really surprising that, in changing from 4 pulses to 2, which removes the additional opening and closing times, in most places fuel had to be added to maintain AFR.

1685569423496.png

Race mode is an "and" operation, so RPM AND MPH have to be met. That lock/unlock happens when you lock based on MPH and then RPM drops below the threshold, so it unlocks. Set either RPM or MPH artificially low for all gears you want it to lockup in, and then set the other variable to where you want it to lock.

EXACTLY!

Here’s how mine is set up. Any idea what could be the issue?

05954b6835e30a8a3814a9a85e5f1e9b.jpg

Here’s how mine is set up. Any idea what could be the issue?
Well, I do it the other way, with mph, but I would've assumed that would work. Is it conflicting with your normal settings somehow?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

For my regular (non race lockup) I didn’t try and pick a specific MPH to lock it in OD. I set it to lock pretty early and used the delay. This way whether I was on light throttle or heavier throttle it would lock the same amount of time after it shifted into OD.

Well, I do it the other way, with mph, but I would've assumed that would work. Is it conflicting with your normal settings somehow?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I’m wondering that same thing. My normal settings are simple though. Lock up at 52mph in OD only with max TPS of 40. I will set by mph since that is working for you and see what happens. Just for a good starting point, can you post your race lock up settings?

For my regular (non race lockup) I didn’t try and pick a specific MPH to lock it in OD. I set it to lock pretty early and used the delay. This way whether I was on light throttle or heavier throttle it would lock the same amount of time after it shifted into OD.

If I lock mine any earlier, due to the big stall, it lunges. I started at 45mph but it’s annoying. With less stall I do believe I could lock it up earlier without a problem and would.

A good point to all that read this. These settings are dependent on what your combo is. Set it up how you can live with it.

When you say you set it up based on delay, what did you have the mph set to? And how much delay? I like that concept and would like to try it.

Back