Factory Big Brake Kit

i am thinking about pulling a heavy trailer, and the stock brakes scare me.

I got my set by looking on car-part.com and found a wrecking yard that was closest to me and had them ship them truck freight. Me and another NLOC member bought two sets and had them shipped together. I believe it was $600 shipped for the pair of them. He's been really lazy and still hasn't installed his yet... Maybe he'll just sell them to you... LOL

So, I want to do this swap on my '93 F150XLT the problem is I have 15" wheels and just bought new tires a little less than 6 months ago, so it's just not a good time to swap out the tires and wheels to bigger ones just yet.
I do plan to upgrade the tire size at a later date, but right now it isn't a good time.

But I was puttering around at a friend's shop the other day and they had an '03 E150 out there, I knew it wasn't the right year, but I noticed two things: 1) it had 15" wheels, 2) that there were twin piston calipers on the E150 and despite the quote below every '95-96 F150 I have seen has single piston brakes.
In 2003 the E150 had the exact same caliper and same rotor size as we had on the 94-95 Lightnings. In 2004 they had bigger rotors and twin piston calipers.

I dug around Autozone and found that they have no distinction between Lightnings and normal F150s, and all of the calipers shown were single-piston

My wondering is leading me to ask if the '03 E150s twin-piston would be an upgrade from the early-90s models, while still allowing 15" wheels?
It would also help as an upgrade for others because the spindles for the '03 were the same all the way back to March of '98 and the older E150s are much more available than the '04-07.

For reference, these are the calipers for an '03
If anyone could identify any incorrect trains of thought, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Its possble they could work, however you have a 93 which have slide pins, you would have to upgrade to a 94-96 spindle to even see if itll work.

What I was thinking was just grabbing the entire spindle for the E150, since it is made to work with the E150 brakes, and since the basic geometry of the spindles doesn't seem like it has changed.

I'm going to have to go talk to Ford tomorrow. Spent the day in the junkyard, did some examining in several different auto-parts stores today, I'm getting wrong information from multiple sources, it's enough to drive you nuts.

Talked to my friend who's shop I was at. Some goober read the VIN tag wrong and said it was an '03 E150 when it was an '04. Compound that with the fact that PepBoys, Autozone, and Advance seem to have their parts numbers and interchange information screwed up and I got bad info.
My bad.

I'm about ready to do this. I received my spindles from a junkyard sit unseen. The R spindle has damage to the bearing surface. Of course this is the hard one to find for some reason. I may try to find another one. The rest of the parts will be here next week from Rockauto.com.

I'm about ready to do this. I received my spindles from a junkyard sit unseen. The R spindle has damage to the bearing surface. Of course this is the hard one to find for some reason. I may try to find another one. The rest of the parts will be here next week from Rockauto.com.

The Right side is harder to find as that is the side that gets beat up because the right side of the road is always rougher, that is where most of the pot holes are...

I have yet to find another one. No junk yards that have one will ship to me. So I'm still waiting to get one. All my other parts are here in boxes.

Zoom in on the front brakes you can see the size difference .......
01375bec9092bcfbed338053b8b034ac461950fde9.jpg

Last edited:
I've read this thread several times and I still get a little confused on the donor vehicle years. Is it any 03, 04, 05, 06, ..........E150?

Back