Factory Big Brake Kit

So now it looks like i am on the hunt for the big brake kit.

IS this correct and everything I need to do it right ( the first time ;) )

2004 E150 Calipers w/bolts
2004 E150 Caliper Mount w/bolts
2004 E150 Spindle
2004 E150 Wheel Bearing Set and Seal
1996 F150 2WD Lower Ball Joint
1994 Lightning Stock Brake Lines
2004 E150 Dust Shield
1994 F250 Gas Brake Booster

I know I stupid, just want to make sure

Thanks

Last edited:
So now it looks like i am on the hunt for the big brake kit.

IS this correct and everything I need to do it right ( the first time ;) )

2004 E150 Calipers w ABS
2004 E150 Caliper Mount
2004 E150 Spindle
2004 E150 Wheel Bearing Set and Seal
1996 E150 Lower Ball Joint--------------NO. 1996 F150 2WD ball joint.
1994 Lightning Stock Brake Lines
1994 Lightning Dust Shield--------------NO !
1994 F250 Gas Brake Booster

And When I order Crossed drilled rotors and Pads I tell them its for the 04 E150 w/ ABS? Is there a difference between the ABS and non-abs stuff?

I know I stupid, just want to make sure

Thanks

You basically need EVERYTHING from a 04-07 E150. They are all ABS. (you won't need it, unless you converted to Bronco 4WABS)
I just pressed out my old (recently new) lower joint and reused it. I would try Car-Part.com and do some research and find someone with the entire setup. I paid $325 delivered for my setup. They are little bolts, big bolts and misc. brake parts will also need if you are trying to buy all new stuff from Ford.

Last edited:
I already have the TCE brakes but if I were going to do this swap I would go to car-part.com and get the spindles, you can find hundreds of them. Then I would get these rotors: Duralast Severe Duty/Brake Rotor - Front (42148SD) | 2004 Ford E150 Super Duty Van 8 Cylinders L 5.4L EFI | AutoZone.com and then buy these loaded calipers with brackets: Brake Caliper Loaded Single - Front | 2004 Ford E150 Super Duty Van 8 Cylinders L 5.4L EFI | AutoZone.com and don't worry about the core charge because you probably can't get used ones for the $20 core charge. Another $120 for ball joints, $40 for hoses and $30 give or take for misc and you have a mostley new system. Just over $600 plus what ever you can get the spindles for. Price range for spindles is approx. $40 to $125 If you buy everything used you can do it a little cheaper but you will have used rotors that will probably have to be turned and then you have to rebuild the calipers so by the time your done you will have a lot of time into cleaning and rebuilding everything to save a small amount of money.

Just my .02 Roy

I already have the TCE brakes but if I were going to do this swap I would go to car-part.com and get the spindles, you can find hundreds of them. Then I would get these rotors: Duralast Severe Duty/Brake Rotor - Front (42148SD) | 2004 Ford E150 Super Duty Van 8 Cylinders L 5.4L EFI | AutoZone.com and then buy these loaded calipers with brackets: Brake Caliper Loaded Single - Front | 2004 Ford E150 Super Duty Van 8 Cylinders L 5.4L EFI | AutoZone.com and don't worry about the core charge because you probably can't get used ones for the $20 core charge. Another $120 for ball joints, $40 for hoses and $30 give or take for misc and you have a mostley new system. Just over $600 plus what ever you can get the spindles for. Price range for spindles is approx. $40 to $125 If you buy everything used you can do it a little cheaper but you will have used rotors that will probably have to be turned and then you have to rebuild the calipers so by the time your done you will have a lot of time into cleaning and rebuilding everything to save a small amount of money.

Just my .02 Roy

so these are all the parts needed form car-part.com to do this swap.:headscratch: i wanna make sure to do this once

I'm so glad that this mod has worked out for a few of you. I sadly don't have a Lightning anymore but I still have a head full of ideas.

Another thought for you guys having trouble getting parts is RockAuto Auto Parts They usually have good prices and sometimes if you eat the core charge it still isn't that bad of a price.

so these are all the parts needed form car-part.com to do this swap.:headscratch: i wanna make sure to do this once

Yes, as previously stated. (this thread has gottten really long) You need everything from a 2004-2006 E150 You will need to swap one of the ball joints to the earlier year and use your brake lines. That's it. Bolt on swap.

However, I wasn't happy with the pedal feel and swapped in an Expedition Master cyl and a F250 Booster. MUCH BETTER !!!

Last edited:
I'm so glad that this mod has worked out for a few of you. I sadly don't have a Lightning anymore but I still have a head full of ideas.

Another thought for you guys having trouble getting parts is RockAuto Auto Parts They usually have good prices and sometimes if you eat the core charge it still isn't that bad of a price.

Very sad, :bm::no::cr1::sigh: you were the original poster for this mod and you never got the chance to try it out.

I think I was the first person to mock up the parts and someone else did the swap on their truck before I did, but it works AWESOME !!!

It does suck a little but I'm not saying I won't get another one in the future. I have to wait till I see where the military will move me before I get another one because I can't have any projects if I'm going to relocate. Plus this time I will have a good plan in place before I do anything.

Just read this entire thread. Will check out the rear disc swap. Now that i am keeping the truck i am thinking is well worth the investment after a few other upgrades i want to do are taken care of. Any link to the 4WABS? I currently do not have ABS on my truck and not sure why. But it does not like me when i am braking for a higher speed(cough cough) or at the track and loves to lock the wheels on me with very little effort and it is getting annoying!!!

With the rear disc brake set up, was it just a bolt on as the front basically was? I have 99/00 rims on 295/45/r18 and I want to make sure they fit. IIRC one of you had the same year and had no issues. Is there a link to a swap step by step and or the video i kept reading about so much?

Last edited:
Just read this entire thread. Will check out the rear disc swap. Now that i am keeping the truck i am thinking is well worth the investment after a few other upgrades i want to do are taken care of. Any link to the 4WABS? I currently do not have ABS on my truck and not sure why. But it does not like me when i am braking for a higher speed(cough cough) or at the track and loves to lock the wheels on me with very little effort and it is getting annoying!!!

With the rear disc brake set up, was it just a bolt on as the front basically was? I have 99/00 rims on 295/45/r18 and I want to make sure they fit. IIRC one of you had the same year and had no issues. Is there a link to a swap step by step and or the video i kept reading about so much?

There was a separate thread for the rear disc swap, but IIRC no one has actually done the complete E150 rearend swap.

so i got my spindles in the mail today from a member on her, came with spindles already cleaned and painted, and caliper brackets, also already cleaned and painted. a bag of bolts and clips (caliper bolts and bracket bolts, mostly) and a whole lot of packing. my only concern, hopefully isnt a concern at all...

What should i use for the spindle nuts and washers? my 95 F150 stuff?

if you dont know what i'm referring to, im talking about the spindle nut and washer that hold the outer bearing into the rotor, thus holding the rotor onto the spindle...

i can easily source rotors, loaded calipers, bearings, seals, ball joints, and hoses, but im a bit leery about finding the spindle nuts...

Help?

You can get spindle nut kits from the auto parts stores. If you want I will get them and ship them to you? You use the ones for 04 e150

They come with the nut, washer, and cotter pin

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

parts availability

I am really interested in doing this conversion but I have not been able to find the parts anywhere locally. Can anybody out there give me some advice on where to look?

thanks,

george

I am really interested in doing this conversion but I have not been able to find the parts anywhere locally. Can anybody out there give me some advice on where to look?

thanks,

george

Where are you located?

Never mind, I see your in Cali. You could try calling a place here in Jacksonville, FL and see if they would ship. Its called Rusty Acres its an all Ford junk yard.

Back