#439 build thread

Hopefully this 99 PowerStroke transmission cooler will bring fluid temps down… I’d like to see 20 degrees less and I’d be satisfied. Was a bit of a pain fitting it in with the intercooler below and the bracket for the core support, but managed to get it in there with some modifications to the mounting brackets. Also had to use a 90 degree fitting on the drivers side to clear the intercooler. Kinda wish I’d painted it black to hide it some, but can always do that later once I prove it’s worth or not.
d48b62ac8b51c50fd442508c49c44da5.jpg

03dee98eaabd8592bc52ebe70caf3821.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good man and nice upgrade! I was thinking about doing the same thing. Let us know how it does on the temps.

I can confirm the PS trans cooler was for sure worth the effort! Just finished a 2 hour cruise with highway/backroads mixed driving and never saw over 175 where usually I would have seen 200+. Once I got off the highway onto backroads my temps dropped to 165ish or lower. Sitting at idle it would cool off quicker than before as well. This was no A/C as OAT was warm, but comfortable enough with a breeze.

I have a roughly 2 hour ride towing my boat in 2 weeks I'm very interested to see the numbers on as last year the same drive was 225+ after about 1 hour.

That's good to know. I just mounted up a trans cooler for a 6.0 power stroke which is a monster.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

That's good to know. I just mounted up a trans cooler for a 6.0 power stroke which is a monster.

I looked at that one too. It’s a beast!

PS trans cooler worked like a champ this past weekend while towing. I never saw anything above 193, but most of the drive was mid-upper 180s. That same drive last year I saw 220s within 1 hour of the 2 hour trip. These 90+ degree and high southern humidity is starting to show issues on the engine coolant now if I idle too long, but soon as I start moving again the temps come down or stabilize. May need to look at a blanket for the turbo and upgrading the radiator for the LMR piece. Engine temps were fine till we really started seeing summer heat!

For anyone wondering about the 6.0 cooler it has been fantastic. Haven't seen anything over 150 degrees yet. Seems to be a very good cooler.

PS trans cooler worked like a champ this past weekend while towing. I never saw anything above 193, but most of the drive was mid-upper 180s. That same drive last year I saw 220s within 1 hour of the 2 hour trip. These 90+ degree and high southern humidity is starting to show issues on the engine coolant now if I idle too long, but soon as I start moving again the temps come down or stabilize. May need to look at a blanket for the turbo and upgrading the radiator for the LMR piece. Engine temps were fine till we really started seeing summer heat!
I haven't done much long idling but i have a similar concern with some stop and go traffic when its 90+. mine seems to live around 200-205 until i can get really moving to bring it back into the 190's. stock clutch fan and stock radiator aswell.

What's funny about mine is that it cools off when it sits and get's hotter above 60 MPH. Once thing I was going to try was actually shutting the fans off >40 mph. A lot of the **aftermarket** fan manufacturers say at speed an electric fan can cause cooling issues.

I’m running a Derale PWM controller now with a temp sensor on the cold side of the radiator and it is the most consistent temps I’ve seen. It has a little adjustability on the PWM controller. It runs for about a minute after I shut down. Neat idea if you want out of band temp control.

200 degrees isn't considered a high coolant temperature... I'd start to worry about 225-230. You won't boil over with a 50/50 mix in our pressurized systems until about 260 degrees.

You really won't find a better a cooling setup than what our trucks have stock. It's superb (and was plenty of cooling for my old big block truck). Electric fans are a step down overall, mostly a cosmetic and small efficiency upgrade rather than cooling.

I've switched back and forth over the years, and for effectiveness and reliability, the OEM setup is top notch. I run electrics on the red truck, and OEM on the white. Both have Victor water pumps and 185 degree thermostats. I have always ran clutch fan when I was towing.

I have to run the electric fans even on the highway or the temperature will start to climb. The shroud for the electric fans does have big dead spots at 11:00 and 4:00 that I will eventually try to address.

Yeah I prefer the stock mechanical fan… was just thinking about a better radiator. I mean this thing is 30 years old… maybe the aluminum version LMR makes would be a slight upgrade.

I know 205-210 isn’t anything to really worry about, just was mildly concerning if I ever get caught in some bad traffic one day. With a 180 thermostat I’m cruising 185-190.

Would really enjoy seeing a back to back comparison with a aluminum radiator. You seem to do a lot of "similar" trips and monitor temps so it would be perfect to see the "upgrade" show positive results. I also have the stock 30 year old radiator, clutch fan, and (according to your signature) under drive pulleys. so maybe fan speed at idle is too slow?

I have/had an aluminum radiator in mine and 180° thermostat. With the Windstar dual efans, most of the time I only run the bigger fan as it’s hooked up to the thermostat only. It will keep it at 185° until the outside air temp is above 90° in stop and go traffic. The 2nd smaller fan is wired to come on with AC and to an auxiliary switch. When both are on, it cools right down to around 185° no matter how hot it is with the AC on. Don’t have any issues running down the road either. Probably because it being a ford part and design.
cf0750c5b873107ed244f120179022e8.jpg

85ed89ea5cb9b0cc571a3490248c96e3.jpg

After 2 trips to Mirror Finish Polishing I finally have my widened wheels back! Time to see if this fresh Nitto meat will help with my lack a traction issues!

I know it will most likely be asked… BellTech 3/4 drop, 255/50/17 front, 305/45/17 rear, factory rear spring pack without the slapper bar.

f04bbd9db1809025c68dcc74d85a53e8.jpg

2df6258661b48b5c49fd9095a559cbc3.jpg

afef6ffa1cc64f45bacbdc0dd8e7fc5b.jpg

Little update:

Entered an 1/8 mile “streetcar” event at a track near me mainly for testing purposes… I didn’t have anything for these newer cars that can go 6.xx off the showroom, but did get a new PB! Oh so close to a 7 second slip… time to sprinkle 1# of boost to it I suppose!

77c061864370be52d14d13cd40c2f34b.jpg

Seem to have remedied my upshift issues with a bit more tuning and predictive shift enabled. The swap to 3.73 gears has made driving so much more comfortable. I need to make a long trip to see how it’s impacted MPG on the highway… would be nice if I could get another 1-2mpg!

Completely stock engine except for underdives and 1.7 roller rockers… and a 64mm single turbo on about 7psi at the moment.

3/4 lowered suspension with Caltracs and some Nitto drag radials.

Back