#439 build thread

Just for reference, how much is he charging you? This work is some of the best I’ve seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for reference, how much is he charging you? This work is some of the best I’ve seen!

I'm not sure on a total yet, but his rate is $120/hour. He works fairly quickly from what I've seen and I believe overall I'll be very pleased with the cost based on finished product. Not having any real fabrication experience, welder, etc myself this was always going to be a job I'd have to pay for, but his work compared to others I tried to employ is head over heels better IMHO. Granted that comes with some extra cost, but his work speaks for itself.

And considering I've put this build off for 23 years I think I've earned myself some room to spurge! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure on a total yet, but his rate is $120/hour. He works fairly quickly from what I've seen and I believe overall I'll be very pleased with the cost based on finished product. Not having any real fabrication experience, welder, etc myself this was always going to be a job I'd have to pay for, but his work compared to others I tried to employ is head over heels better IMHO. Granted that comes with some extra cost, but his work speaks for itself.

And considering I've put this build off for 23 years I think I've earned myself some room to spurge! :ROFLMAO:

Yea seems to be getting it done. And done right. Where is his shop located?

Not too awful far from me. Really interested to see what the final cost will be.

TBH I won’t tell the final cost, just cause I’m not built that way… but I can tell you Walker quoted $8-10k.

Is it worth that for my low power build? To most probably not, but he has built this so that realistically I could go forward from here and make more power with a bigger turbo and better engine. Doubt I will, but the potential is there.

And I’ve reached a point that I don’t care about the cost so much anymore… within reason! I’ve waited for 23 years, saved for most of that, and this doesn’t impact my life in any way negatively. I played with getting a cheap welder and building it myself, talked to people that would have done it for cheaper, but luckily none of them stepped up to the plate when it came time to do work.

Walker showed genuine interest, quoted me a price I was okay with, and after seeing his work/attention to detail and his great communication throughout the build process I’m very glad I’m doing it for a little more cost to get something I’m happy with that will most likely never need improvement.

TBH I won’t tell the final cost, just cause I’m not built that way… but I can tell you Walker quoted $8-10k.

Is it worth that for my low power build? To most probably not, but he has built this so that realistically I could go forward from here and make more power with a bigger turbo and better engine. Doubt I will, but the potential is there.

And I’ve reached a point that I don’t care about the cost so much anymore… within reason! I’ve waited for 23 years, saved for most of that, and this doesn’t impact my life in any way negatively. I played with getting a cheap welder and building it myself, talked to people that would have done it for cheaper, but luckily none of them stepped up to the plate when it came time to do work.

Walker showed genuine interest, quoted me a price I was okay with, and after seeing his work/attention to detail and his great communication throughout the build process I’m very glad I’m doing it for a little more cost to get something I’m happy with that will most likely never need improvement.

As a fabricator and a business owner I respect the privacy of not disclosing your final price. The initial quote is a good enough ball park to show if the next guy should inquire or not. No two builds are exactly the same. Material and labor vary so much off small changes and people get hung up on numbers so it puts extra pressure on the guy doing the work. He does nice work and is pricing himself according to his work load and skillset.

I understand and respect that. It’s all about what you can live with- albeit cost, quality work, etc… Most definitely should last a long time. Probably outlast the turbo, engine and who knows maybe the truck.

Builder took some time off to attend TX2K with one of his customer builds, but back at it this week and is nearing the completion!

Chargepipe from turbo to IC and turbo inlet finished… working on IC to TB piping now and then just a few small finishing touches. I’m hoping in roughly 2 weeks I’ll be making all the fun noises!

a9cfdf432a94516ec7852d6df2c2f3e6.jpg

43f10fad40e7fa6c6b3aa97d52b278df.jpg

e9fb9437466a4436be0b0b03525d6288.jpg

c2e92c092fc28a3b454dc6ab5feca514.jpg

20543520160d0ee9c0c7c1211d8c952b.jpg

44992ef3d4b7df4f17bf07d87d269038.jpg

1c92fbaeb7a6592d1ad9490c449ca324.jpg

67a4c276ed691188df5e374aecceda82.jpg

936557faf48005724a270ce65f19c67b.jpg

Looks really good, I'll be interested in how the intercooler piping holds up the way it's routed. I was a big chicken and routed mine on the inside of the frame rail, but that now get's in the way of the lower valence. The way he did it seems like a better idea.

Looks really good, I'll be interested in how the intercooler piping holds up the way it's routed. I was a big chicken and routed mine on the inside of the frame rail, but that now get's in the way of the lower valence. The way he did it seems like a better idea.

I went into this knowing I wanted to keep the fog lights, so routing the piping so they could stay was essential to the build. The hole on the inner fender liner seems like it was put there on purpose for charpiping! I’m sure after awhile road grime will have that pipe looking like crap, but I prefer function over form.

I’m still on the fence about powder coating the chargepipes black eventually or keeping them polished. I’ll put a good coat of Sharkhide on them if they stay polished as that’s helped my wheels stay nice for years now.

Chargepipe is complete… hot REALLY tight in and around the fan shroud/low hose/steering box area, but he managed it well. Just a few small things to complete and she’s ready to come home next weekend unless some unforeseen issue happens.

0b02e8cb21aaf2bb2d3b13860745eb7f.jpg

4b682b254cc39c0ef57b60aec259f328.jpg

0bed32f0bd3d05f30424239cc26b36e6.jpg

d09ecb7a1036f57500d6a9117ace10f3.jpg

e413069eb2bc032d274913d8ddd0cf7f.jpg

3161daaeea11f74cb90f9fedbebc6404.jpg

4653b316caf80ac8753ef59223be514f.jpg

94a7ef44665f66e89020829e4f9de174.jpg

That is nice man. I like the way the intercooler is mounted and routed. When I take on IC I’ll definitely be referring to this thread!

-Wayne

It wasn’t easy, but it kept the charge pipe route shorter so hopefully there will be better response and esthetically it looks better than running across the engine IMO.

I’m not sure the center exit would work on a stock placement sway at mount. I have it turned around because my truck is so low which creates a gap between it and the core support. Keeping the stick fan shroud and fan also made for right spacing.

Overall I’m very pleased with his work… now I just want to see how it all performs!

When I first went turbo I ran ~7psi on stock engine minus small cam and it was such a great improvement over stock your going to love it.

At low boost you'll probably be ok with the worm gear clamps but may want to upgrade to t-bolt clamps to make sure you don't pop a coupler.

His work is very satisfying to look at. We have so many "fabricators" around my area that just miss on the attention to details. His weld placement, weld direction, clamp and coupler placement, pipe routing all looks great, nice and straight. not weird bends or unnecessary welds/cuts.

I’m not sure the center exit would work on a stock placement sway at mount. I have it turned around because my truck is so low which creates a gap between it and the core support.

It'll work with a little help from a bench vise turning a circle into an oval. Ask me how I know! ;)

I also agree with Travis about turbocharged boost on a nearly stock truck. I so distinctly remember the 6 psi I started with on the turbo setup on my truck (it was a long way from stock, though) and the fits of happiness I had at the way the torque hit at low rpm/part throttle. All I really want on my white truck is about 8-9 psi with a cam. That'll make for a perfect daily driver.

Back