#439 build thread

Finding trades that take pride in work and craftsmanship is not easy these days sadly.

I agree with most everything. I started with Pimpxshift and now have a Holley system. I have also tuned with a Tweecer, SCT pro racer, and Quarterhorse. For most part the main stuff is the same. It really only took me a few days of going over the Holley software to get a good idea of what everything does. Now I could see a tuner that does a ton of work with Holley not wanting to work on megasquirt stuff and vice versa. They are heavily vested in that software platform and to switch up will slow them down which costs them money. So if they usually charge say $400 for a tune with Holley and megasquirt takes them 3 times longer because they aren't used to the software then should they charge you $1200? The customer will probably say no thanks... I'm betting they have gone down that road a lot and now they just say they will only deal with the one platform. I will say I prefer the Holley software having used both it and megasquirt. Better interface all around and the inputs/outputs are much easier to set up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Tuner Studio definitely has a learning curve, to me it was always "different" usage-wise. I've looked at Holley and I can see the appeal of how it's very straight-forward and a bit more intuitive. I will say the Haltech software is NICE, but it can also be overwhelming with how much it can do, it's kind of a cross between all the things you can do in Tuner Studio (and more), but with a much nice interface

I've tuned a couple of my neighbor's projects on the Holley. The software is slicker, which you'd expect from a big entity like Holley. I'd certainly run their stuff if I needed all of the supporting hardware. My feeling has been that PxS is an excellent solution for up to about 1000 hp, and the nearly-plug-and-play aspect (and cost) is awesome for milder applications. Beyond that, you're starting to need some ignition behavior that the basic MS3 hardware CAN support, but it's all built into the Holley, and works plug and play with the Holley hardware, so it just makes more sense.

That said, because my RPM requirements are low, if I had the bottom end to support it, I feel pretty certain I could sneak the red truck past 1000 crank hp on the PxS, especially once I get the CNP hardware on it.

I've tuned a couple of my neighbor's projects on the Holley. The software is slicker, which you'd expect from a big entity like Holley. I'd certainly run their stuff if I needed all of the supporting hardware. My feeling has been that PxS is an excellent solution for up to about 1000 hp, and the nearly-plug-and-play aspect (and cost) is awesome for milder applications. Beyond that, you're starting to need some ignition behavior that the basic MS3 hardware CAN support, but it's all built into the Holley, and works plug and play with the Holley hardware, so it just makes more sense.

That said, because my RPM requirements are low, if I had the bottom end to support it, I feel pretty certain I could sneak the red truck past 1000 crank hp on the PxS, especially once I get the CNP hardware on it.
I have no doubt the Xshift can support over 1000 HP. Heck my stock motor had to be close to that at the crank before I pulled it. It really shouldn't have much issues making way more than that as well. However there are no big names out there racing running megasquirt. Not that it means anything at all but there is an implication there that perhaps it may not be suitable for builds at a certain point. If I hadn't run into some freak ignition issue I would still have the Pimpxshift on my truck now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

New PB tonight with an 8.10 @ 87.50! I sprinkled in 1psi more of boost hoping to see a 7, but it didn’t quite get there. Bonehead move and went to the track with a full fuel tank… probably could have gotten it with 1/2 tank.

5e3ce79609551e0a22636c4339af68ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For certain! Still just foot breaking to 1500rpm. Really need to get the 2-step functioning so it’s easier to launch and maybe be closer to building boost off the line.

Did fix my 1-2 shift issue of having a really lean spot during the shift though. Just dropped the shift point down 100rpm. Seems like I was just tickling the 5300rpm limiter setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killer results at such low boost, especially considering a stock truck barely traps more than that in the quarter.

Back