Exhaust build

94whtlite#2669

Does it ever end $$$$
Need ideas for a new exhaust. Only have Mac longtubes right now. No side tank or e4od. Going to be running a wc t5. Doing a budget 5 spd swap. Not the ideal trans but going to use it. Will be going out both sides before the rear tires. Not enough room to go over axle. What would be any suggestions, x pipe, crossover pipe, mufflers, cats. Plan on going 2.5"

Something like this? Check out my build thread.

1711329328677.png

This Pic gives me a better idea of what room is available. What mufflers are you running? I am hoping to get cats and possibly an x pipe or crossover pipe into the system .thinking of going further down than 90's out the side with 45's to get the pipes closer the the wheelwell. Want the exiting pipe to be barely noticeable.

Mine isn't permanent yet. I still have long bars to install and it might get in the way. I used two different magnaflo mufflers. One has a 3 inch offset that almost makes the exhaust even. The kooks longtubes I used were over 3 inches closer to the frame on the passenger side than the drivers side. So a 3 inch offset muffler put it just about perfect. The rest is a bunch of 3 inch stainless, I got in a kit on Amazon. I have most of the details and pics in my thread. I did have vbands welded on the collectors. I still need to weld in O2 bungs and weld the rest up. But...

It's mostly all coming out with the motor soon I hope. New heads and novi or maybe a 393 I have?

X pipe and Magnaflows is my preference, but if you ask 10 people what they like you'll get 10 different answers. X pipes can be hard to package and most of the quality mufflers are going to make the same power, so it really comes down to what you are willing to deal with and your taste in sound.

I figured it would be hard to package an x pipe. Cats & mufflers in a short span. May end up with thrush mufflers. Any benifit with an x over a crossover or just forget about putting 1 in and just go straight down bothsides.

An X or H are both beneficial from a power production stand point. They also tend to clean up the sound quite a bit and make it less harsh. The X makes a unique sound and might make a little more power, but an H will probably get you 90% of the gain. Both of them seem to help a lot more if you've got mufflers that don't flow that well. I guess that makes sense since it gives the exhaust pulses on each side a second muffler to flow through.

Engine masters did like 8 episodes on exhaust. They literally beat the subject to death and the exhaust. Lol
They tested every type of muffler
Many manufacturers
Long tubes many diameters
Pipe size
Collector length
Single vs duals
Many more. Some really good info on The dyno results.

Last week I watched a video from Level7 talking about one of their builds and he mentions because of packaging constraints he put his mufflers under the cab, then has an H-pipe after the mufflers looping over the driveshaft. Says it has a unique sound compared to more traditional routing, but still gives the benefits of having the H-pipe… just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a lot of room for packaging, especially with modern cats, which are much more efficient and smaller than what came on the truck. Personally, at this point in my existence, I'd run a wide "H" right off the headers, then cats.

If I'm putting together an exhaust, it's going to be a Magnaflow muffler of some type on it. Whatever they do, they get the tone just right for my subjective tastes. And I use the biggest muffler I can fit because I like that deeper, mellow tone. The further away from the straight pipe "blat" I can get, the better.

I'm considering working in some kind of small resonator muffler behind the axle on the turbo setup for the white truck. It's not very loud with cats and the turbo, plus over the axle, but it has a bit more rasp than I really prefer.

Last week I watched a video from Level7 talking about one of their builds and he mentions because of packaging constraints he put his mufflers under the cab, then has an H-pipe after the mufflers looping over the driveshaft. Says it has a unique sound compared to more traditional routing, but still gives the benefits of having the H-pipe… just something to think about.
I'd like to see a dyno sheet that shows an X pipe after the mufflers having the same benefit as one in front of them. I'm not buying that. It's probably better than nothing, but since the purpose is for exhaust pulses to be able to travel side to side it should be more effective the closer it is to the engine.

I'd like to see a dyno sheet that shows an X pipe after the mufflers having the same benefit as one in front of them. I'm not buying that. It's probably better than nothing, but since the purpose is for exhaust pulses to be able to travel side to side it should be more effective the closer it is to the engine.

Right, not a lot of pulse left after the muffler compared to what's going on upstream.

Engine masters did like 8 episodes on exhaust. They literally beat the subject to death and the exhaust. Lol
They tested every type of muffler
Many manufacturers
Long tubes many diameters
Pipe size
Collector length
Single vs duals
Many more. Some really good info on The dyno results.
Now I need to go back and see if they did an episode on x pipes and cross overs, I can’t remember.

Agreed, I question that as well.

]S1.E17 ∙ Cheap vs. Expensive Mufflers![
]S2.E4 ∙ Straight Exhaust vs. H-Pipe vs. X-Pipe
S1.E9 ∙ The Power of 2.5- vs. 3-Inch Exhaust
S4.E8 ∙ $40 Muffler Shootout
S5.E7 ∙ Single vs. Dual Exhaust
S5.E16 ∙ Tuning the Tubes: Why Header Collector Length Matters

All of these have some surprising results sometimes.

On a 360hp ls the xpipe and h pipe made less than 1% differences on the dyno.......
Not worth the trouble in my opinion. There was some sound differences.

Last edited:
Don't worry discovery will mess it up. Lol

I really liked the motortrend app. Wasn't bad at all.

I can't find the X vs H episode online anywhere that doesn't require a membership, so I can't watch it again. I seem to recall that the dyno required them to put both types of crossover much farther from the engine than you ordinarily would.

Nope they addressed that and measured about the end of where the trans would be. They said realistically that's determined by real-estate available but for most cars it's right behind the trans.

From what I have seen the vacuum caused by the pulse is much greater than you would think. They figured that out during the collector length episode. Also somewhat in the straight pipe vs dual test. So you can see big gains in catching that just perfect. There is also a pulse that goes backwards. It's a whole science on its own.

Basicly though in the real world here is what I got from watching all the exhaust episodes.

Size matters a bunch. Everywhere headers to tailpipe. Area and volume.

Denting a header for clearance no effect at all.

There are gains in mufflers. But if noise bothers you That matters too. Magnaflo had the best HP numbers while not being too annoying.

Thats why I went with long tubes, magnaflo mufflers and 3 inch pipes. No crossover and simple. It's not welded yet but after I install the stiflers I may reroute? I wish I had went with the biggest magnaflo mufflers but it's not horrible loud till you get on it. I did some videos with a sound meter and it's about as loud as my raptor roush single exhaust (2012 6.2L) at idle and driving around.
1712107698992.png
1712107585387.png

I’m planning mine. I want something quieter at idle and cruise but still flows. Ditching the bullets and turndowns. piping 3” all the way to the back and leaving room to put the mid tank back in.

Does anyone have a pic of the Stifflers crossmember installed? Hoping to put biggest resonators I can fit right off the headers. Looks like his crossmember frees up a lot of space.

Looking at trying this catback (ignore it’s a gm kit) just because it’s priced right and has the right bends with straight through mufflers. I can get individual pieces for the rest. Going out the side in front of the wheel isn’t ideal for me with the long bars and trying to keep cabin drone down. Also weirdly like that the design mimics the oem exits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back