Crown Vic IFS Swap

Thanks guys. I'm getting excited about this!

You can now buy a CV Wilwood kit direct from Wilwood. I placed an order, about 2 weeks out on shipping.

They're made very nice. Not sure if they will position the motor far enough back,but think I have an idea to fix. Wilwoods will be here next week.

This isn't working out to be an inexpensive swap, for me,but guess that's my fault. :rolleyes:

For anyone wondering:

CV Cradle - $150
Rebuilt ebay control arms - $200
Unit Hubs - $200
Motor Mounts - $200
Steering Rack - $250
Ridetech Coilovers - $800
Wilwoods - $1500
And now $1000 for Fatman 1" narrowed control arms
So far...

Thread is going to be dead until winter gets here. A lot to do when I do tear into it. Looks like the entire xover pipe will need to be redone, and I'm going to do a cam change also.

Last edited:
Nothing done right can be that cheap. And yes it down look killer. Hopefully the brackets the guy makes will work out for the swap. I’m getting a crown Vic clip for free once a buddy yanks the 4.6 out of the car

Got the RP.

Some AN adapters:

The CV rack has a variable power assist, or EVO,controlled by the stock ECM. The little PC board wires to the solenoid on the rack and will allow the power assist to be dialed in. We'll see...

Yes,just what I've been waiting for! This fixes the one issue I have with the CV being too wide to have a low front ride height.

Calling for info...and maybe to order!

Ouch,$980.00 a set. All the cool stuff always costs! :cool:

Last edited:
Yes,just what I've been waiting for! This fixes the one issue I have with the CV being too wide to have a low front ride height.

Calling for info...and maybe to order!

Ouch,$980.00 a set. All the cool stuff always costs! :cool:

Yea I was scoping these out for mine, was gonna do wilwoods too. But I think I'll have to do the control arms first and wilwoods after I get the truck going. Who offers those AN adapters?

I wonder what narrowing the arms by an inch does to the geometry and dynamics of the suspension. I would sure think with shortened arms the roll center would be shifted more to the outside of the vehicle which could be bad for handling. Also it definitely affects the motion ratio of the spring and shock. So unless you were planning on changing spring rate from the factory Vic springs already then that would mean some extra cost if you needed to go lighter.

^ I'll be finding out,ordered a set. Spring/shock being affected isn't a problem with the coilovers,and any changes to roll center will be minor I'm sure. With my low ride height and with skinnys up front,I'm only interested in straight line handling anyway. :3g:

I narrowed the QA1 lower arms on my Foxbody an 1.5" with no probs.

Last edited:
Between the Fatman -1 arms and coil overs that takes all of the budget out of the vic swap lol. What will be the difference in track width now with the Fatman arms over the I beams?

Between the Fatman -1 arms and coil overs that takes all of the budget out of the vic swap lol. What will be the difference in track width now with the Fatman arms over the I beams?

Don't remember the exact numbers, but it was going to push the wheels out 5/8"-3/4". Just enough to cause a problem at my ride height. I really don't want to raise the front,so this was kind of taking the drive to do the swap out of me,especially since the TIB is working great now. Also the alum rotor hat on the Wilwoods is thicker that a stock rotor so now wheels would be closer to an 1" out. So at 1" narrower the Fatmans should keep the wheels right were they are now. :D:D

Back