Crown Vic IFS Swap

Briansshop

Missing My Lightning!
So you don't have to jump to the end,here's the truck on the day it was sold. ;m

Since the Turbo section is on lock down until who knows when,this thread will be the one being updated on the truck. The original turbo thread is here: https://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php/224660-Gen-1-66mm-Single-Build

Vacuum Pump Install: https://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php/231453-Oil-Leaks!-Rant!

Crown Vic Install:

Have decided I'm OK with a higher ride height up front if it has to be. I'll just make it work for me whatever needs to be done. The loss of hopefully over 100lbs,RP steering,no camber change with movement, coilovers, and big brakes is too much! It'll be slow going while I gather parts, won't be taking the truck down until the cold weather gets here.

So:
Bead blast and paint
New upper/lower arms
New/used Knuckles
Unit Hubs
Might reuse the steering rack
Coilovers, QA1 or RideTech
13" Wilwoods from TCE

Frame boxing kit from Team321 - Info can be had by contacting Dave,here: https://team321.com/

Getting familiar with it,my $150 deal wasn't that great. Needs pretty much a FULL rebuild,but that's fine I'm kind of picky anyway.

Stripped it down and smoothed all of the casting marks down.

Cut these off, didn't like em. I THINK they were there just to protect the rack? Don't need that!

Was pressing the unit hubs out off the knuckles and a ring aroung the inner edge broke off and stayed stuck to the hub assy. Corroded really bad, anti seize would have been nice, dam road salt!

Looks like my just modded cross over is going to need a major reworking,maybe starting over,we'll see.

Last edited:
How much difference in ride height (compared to stock) do you anticipate? I’ve been looking all over the internet, but have not been able to find out the change in ride height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do narrow the crossmembers so you could remove enough to keep the factory track width. Team 321 sells one that’s a lot narrower for swapping into older trucks

How much difference in ride height (compared to stock) do you anticipate? I’ve been looking all over the internet, but have not been able to find out the change in ride height.

I've read a 5" drop is typical,not sure what year truck though.

They do narrow the crossmembers so you could remove enough to keep the factory track width. Team 321 sells one that’s a lot narrower for swapping into older trucks

Was looking at that Joe. Don't think it'll fit the OBS years, and it's really too narrow at 62 3/4".

Was looking at that Joe. Don't think it'll fit the OBS years, and it's really too narrow at 62 3/4".
That kit is too narrow. I was thinking he could make one a custom width. Or maybe you could cut it down yourself and weld it back together at or near the stock I beam track width. I can’t see raising the ride height. You need it to be at least as low as it sits now.

Sand blasted the knuckles tonight. The combo of brake dust and salt ate em up pretty bad. A new set is $500,so I'm going to see if I can get happy with these. Going to get a new set of unit hubs,and check the fit.

I like the way it allows front to rear movement on the mounts. I wonder if they would allow me to slide my bbf back where it sits now in my 79?

Wondering the same. Just eyeballing where the front motor mount bolt on the block is in relation to the axle CL looks like maybe no. But I have some ideas.

This set up will be up for sale later this yr. 3" springs,welded and redrilled lower spring mounts,beams, bump steer kit, sway bar end links,5x4.5" drilled rotors. Great working set up for a low ride height. It works so well that I am reluctantly doing the CV swap!

All sold.

Last edited:
Going to be sick if you get the wheels tucked in with those coil overs. What did you do to the lower spring mount? Have any pics?

Pressed out the studs in the unit hubs. Had to do a little relief cut to get em out. Want to run 3" studs.

Need to enlarge the holes before the new studs can go in.

Back