Who would like to see a heads up class at WFC

who wants to see a heads up class at WFC

• heads up class and one bracket class for street lightning

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • heads up class and one bracket class for any lightning who doesn't want to race heads up

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • no thanks I like watching two bracket class for lightnings

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys are on it like daggonnit! People want to see the big dogs run 'em all the way out the back door! I'm not pinging on GenII's at all here, I just think it's silly that an 8 second truck like Jerry's can get beat in a "Pro L" class at WFC by ANY 10 second truck. Bracket racing at that level is silly.
I would much rather spend money to see a 6 truck field go heads up, than see a bunch more trucks bracket race. Just my .02, which prolly ain't worth half that..

I'm only using this as an example guys. When I went to the NMRA race at Atco Raceway 3 years ago there was only 4 cars that showed up for the Pro 5.0 class. Everyone in the stands still loved to watch these cars run there low 7's down the track with no complaints. People in general & Lightning Fans want to see a Heads-Up ShootOut. If the WFC decides to go back to a Real Pro Lightning class that is run Heads-Up it will draw many more fans than the current rules. I started to build my Race truck in 1999 when the WFC2 rules were heads-up. If guys like Embrey, Skinner, Duckett, JL, Sparkman, & Me knew that ALL (NMRA) (FUN FORD) (WFC) classes for Lightning trucks were going to be a bracket class why in the world would any of us build a 8 second Lightning??
We wouldn't have & there would Never be any reason to build one or to try & keep going Faster every Year. Maybe a Pro Lightning Heads up class needs a tighter field to be competitive like 9.99 & Faster. How many trucks would be in it as of now?

1) Justin Embrey
2) Ralph Voorhees
3) Jerry Skinner
4) Paul Duckett
5) Johnny Lightning
6) Jeff Sparkman
7) Mike James
8) Charlie Stanley

Looks like enough trucks to race to me.
I'm sure there will be another 5 or 6 trucks in the 9's by next year. Maybe?

1) Ray Johnson
2) Frank5L
3) Dave Pickrel
4) Dave London
5) Jim D'Amore
6) Dale (BadasL)

I think we need to try & make this happen guys. There should still be a bracket class for the guys that don't want to race Heads up but there should be a heads up class to decide the baddest Lightning in the Land.:usflgwav:

My personal opinion, since 2000 no one has really built a fast Lightning to win a class. They've all been built to go fast.

You don't drive 1000 miles to L-Fest to go out in the first round - yet half the people there go out in the first round! I mean, geez, there are what, 3 rounds? Maybe 4? So you miss out on 3 passes assuming you could win the class?

There's a bracket class for the slower trucks that don't want to race heads up to run in. The idea of a ET-limited Heads Up class strikes me as strange. I think you can only do that if you come up with some kind of laundry list of modifications. Otherwise, it's just a throttle-stop index class (IMO).

I don't fit into any class being proposed here. Until there's a 9.49 index heads up class (ok, let's be real, it's a throttle stop bracket class), I'm staying home.

Not really. Just trying to make a point.

I don't believe that anyone attending LFest or especially the WFC has anything to do with them not being able to win a class. Another class would be nice, I just don't see it happening - especially when I believe that creating yet another class won't add any significant head count to the event.

I'll race Pro@WFC as a heads up class - no problem with that at all. I don't stand a chance, but I really don't expect things to be "fair" in a way that caters to me.

I think it would be cool if they had 3 classes.

Pro Lightning---9.90 or better, heads up with a .400 pro tree.

Pro/Street Lightning---11.49-9.99, open comp with a .500 pro tree.

Street Lightning---14.99-11.50, same rules as now.

It'll never happen but it would be nice.:)

I completely accept it being too far - especially at the current cost of fuel. I did drive 1800 miles one-way in 2003 to be there and know what kind of haul that is in terms of time and money. But I'm not convinced that adding another class is going to suddenly cause a bunch more people to want to make the trek.

I don't really care - I just want to have some fun! ;)

Lightning Ralph said:
I'm only using this as an example guys. When I went to the NMRA race at Atco Raceway 3 years ago there was only 4 cars that showed up for the Pro 5.0 class. Everyone in the stands still loved to watch these cars run there low 7's down the track with no complaints. People in general & Lightning Fans want to see a Heads-Up ShootOut. If the WFC decides to go back to a Real Pro Lightning class that is run Heads-Up it will draw many more fans than the current rules. I started to build my Race truck in 1999 when the WFC2 rules were heads-up. If guys like Embrey, Skinner, Duckett, JL, Sparkman, & Me knew that ALL (NMRA) (FUN FORD) (WFC) classes for Lightning trucks were going to be a bracket class why in the world would any of us build a 8 second Lightning??
We wouldn't have & there would Never be any reason to build one or to try & keep going Faster every Year. Maybe a Pro Lightning Heads up class needs a tighter field to be competitive like 9.99 & Faster. How many trucks would be in it as of now?

1) Justin Embrey
2) Ralph Voorhees
3) Jerry Skinner
4) Paul Duckett
5) Johnny Lightning
6) Jeff Sparkman
7) Mike James
8) Charlie Stanley

Looks like enough trucks to race to me.
I'm sure there will be another 5 or 6 trucks in the 9's by next year. Maybe?

1) Ray Johnson
2) Frank5L
3) Dave Pickrel
4) Dave London
5) Jim D'Amore
6) Dale (BadasL)

I think we need to try & make this happen guys. There should still be a bracket class for the guys that don't want to race Heads up but there should be a heads up class to decide the baddest Lightning in the Land.:usflgwav:
If I can scoop up enough money, and finish what I set out to do, don't count out the little man!!Ronnie might be in there..... Also, don't count out falstaff(shock therapy's old truck)

For me it is silly to spend all the time and money necessary to make a trip to WFC or Lightningfest and not be able to run all out. In the brackets the slower trucks that launch more predictably have a big edge. I would love to run heads up with trucks within a second or so of my times. I realize this may not be possible.
I offer a different suggestion that is a compromise position. Why not an 80% or 85% handicap bracket so the faster trucks have a chance? Guys would run all out providing better entertainment, and all trucks would have a chance. There is so much that can go wrong on the faster trucks. I feel they should be rewarded for their extra work rather than penalized.
Jim

Hey guys, it is great to see the enthusiasm shared by all of you for quick Lightning trucks. It was really neat to see the big pickups making 8-second runs and there might be a lot of interest in running heads up. We (Ford Truck Performance) stepped up to get involved this year and I am sure the powers that be at Primedia will continue to do so in the future.

Some have emailed me about doing a heads up class for Lightning trucks in 2007 at WFC 10. First and foremost, Ford Truck Performance magazine is a sponsor so I have no say in rules or dictate what the World Ford Challenge folks will do for truck classes next year. But I will make suggestions and try to bring something to the table to help better the program.

Running a heads up program obviously poses a lot of questions rather than a simple answer to people's request. Stuff like rules, payout, in addition to Pro Lightning or eliminate Pro Lightning, etc. And the end, final question- what will turnout look like?

We all want a big turn out for all the classes. I have been around this stuff a long time and unfortunately a lot of times people say they are going to go and run a heads up class and all too often they don't show up. Then the other side of the coin are the truck racers that prefer the index/open comp style of competition getting pushed out of WFC. Usually they leave the race and don't come back the following year because of the new format.

There can be a comprise, at least my mind anyway. What about doing a class-in-a-class? Say run Pro Lightning the same format next year. EXCEPT add one more round of qualifying and take the top 8 guys from Round 1 Qualifying and run them heads up during the remaining three rounds. Then run regular, open comp format on Sunday? That way no one is alienated from the program. This is how IHRA Pro Modified was created many years ago. IHRA ran Top Sportsman (really fast bracket racing for doorslammers) and then a bunch of them wanted to run heads up. So IHRA ran a Quick 8 deal during qualifying for Top Sportsman. Eventually it sparked enough interest to stand on its own.

This is merely for discussion and I said before, I do NOT have the authority to do something like this.

+1 here jamie, I really like that Idea, I'll never be able to stand a chance with the 8 second guys, the 10.00 class is much more realistic for most members on the board

i shouldnt talk though, I've never made a L-fest :hide:

Danny

The idea works this way. Run the Pro Lightning class as it has been run, which is qualify on Friday/Saturday and run off eliminations Sunday in its current format. However, the Top 8 will run heads up during qualifying rounds. The Top 8 will be determined by Round 1 of qualifying. THe quickest 8 trucks get put into a ladder and round 2 of qualifying would be round of 1 eliminations, round 3 of qualifying would be round 2 of eliminations, and finally round 4 of qualifying would be round 3 (the finals) of eliminations. This would add ZERO extra runs to the Qualifying format, the elimination rounds would double as qualifying rounds for those trucks in the Quick 8 format. Meanwhile hte rest of the trucks outside of the Quick 8 will continue to participate in qualifying as they normally would. No extra rounds of runs and it would be basically just extra paperwork in the tower. Of course Doc will have to pump it up on the mic so the fans know that the last 4 pairs of qualifiers in Pro Lightning are actually racing each other.

Sound confusing? It keeps the normal Pro Lightning crowd happy with the current format. It adds excitement in the form of heads up racing for those who want to run heads up and we don't sacrifice pushing out the average Lightning guy. I think it is a nice comprimise to keep both parties happy without the risk of pushing people out. People can run heads up and the index guys can run on an index. Of course if the numbers support the heads up program and the index side of the program then I am sure something can be done in the future, but to me it sounds like a suitable solution to both sides of the coin.

Thoughts?

Mike that sounds like a great idea and we will be more than happy to bring back both 8 second trucks for another show.

Thanks
Jerry Skinner

I like this idea! Even though I am not yet ready to enter the top 8, I would love to see some heads up racing, and also have all the trucks in the bracket event.
I still think a less than 100% handicap bracket is more fair for the faster guys.
Jim

I think that sounds like a very favorable solution to the Rules for WFC10 Mike! I never thought about that kind of Racing in Qualifying. My only question is what if a guy like Johnny Lightning spins coming out of the hole in Round #1 of Qualifing & runs a 10.90 but has a truck that can run high 8's. Does this mean that he can't race in the Quick 8 Heads Up class?? Just a thought?? I will be back @ WFC10. Thanks Mike Galimi for the reply! :tu:

Ralph Voorhees
100% In Favor of Quick 8 Pro Lightning Class (WFC10) :B2:

Last edited:
Mike, that does actually add one round of qualifying since we only do 3 now. I doubt anyone in this group will complain about one more pass, though. And it'd probably put a kink in the sandbagging that goes on now, though it wouldn't cure the slow end of the field.

BTW, the black truck pictured at the head on the Gen 1 Bassani exhaust article in the current FTP issue used to belong to Jamie V. He's gone red now, though... ;)

And BTW, Mike, based on my experiences, if you're paying for the class, you can do almost anything you want with it, especially since you're a "third party" and not forcing competitors to use particular products.

jamie v said:
Yup thats me!

25858-259-20042.jpg

That's funny! Jamie didn't even have Bassani's! :D

Quiet Thunder... bah! "Rocket at blast off" is what that exhaust sounds like when your try to push 400+ HP through that single 3" 180 degree tail pipe!

Sorry, This thread is officially getting off track now! :whistle:

Yeah it does add another round, I forgot it is only three. I am pretty sure a few years ago WFC did four rounds of qualifying if I am not mistaken. Exhaust fumes and race fuel has effected my memory from time to time though!

I was under the impression the WFC folks handle the rules stuff. I will look into it and see what we can do to help keep the competitors and fans happy!

Be sure to get out to the newsstands, the newest issue of Ford Truck Performance hit the newsstand on Monday. Thanks for all who picked up the first copy and we hope you enjoy this new one.

Back