Tyres

phizer350

I sure did a search. But some of you guys have alot more money than me lol. I am looking for road coarse tires for an SVTOA event and other little events locally. I dont want to spend more than $220 a tire. I dont know what size for stock wheels. 275/35, 275/40, is what I got from some threads. Would like DOT tires. I have been looking at Nitto 555 all the way around. Or BFG KDW's.
Please give me your advise.

If I were you, I'd go with R compound rubber. The truck needs every bit of traction you can get. I prefer running 305/30/18. I've got set of scuffs cheap in the classifieds if you're interested.

-Edward

do you think they will last 10 20 min. sessions on a 1.5 mile track? Mostly left turns? thanks for the reply.

Anybody else please? I know you guys have more information.

phizer350 said:
do you think they will last 10 20 min. sessions on a 1.5 mile track? Mostly left turns? thanks for the reply.

Definitely. With that short a track, I doubt you'll get above ~115-120. One thing that I've found with tires and the L is that temperature makes a huge difference. Once the temps get above ~85, the tires just seem to wear exponentially faster. I'll tell you what I've run at the track: Hoosier Grand Am Cup's in 305/30/18, Hoosier R3S03's in 305/30/18 and 275/35/18, Pirelli P-Zero Ferrari Challenge Spec Tires in 305/30/18, Toyo RA-1's in 275/35/18, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS in 295/45/18 and Nitto 555's in 295/45/18. Some will say that 305's are too big for the stock rim and that the turn-in sucks compared to 275's. I would agree that the turn-in is better with the narrower tire; but the inside tire will always spin with very little throttle on corner exit. If you want to stick with a street tire, I'd get the stock F1's. They wear much better than the 555's and I find them to be very forgiving.

BTW, what track are you going to?

Good luck,
Edward

Going to Pikes Peak Int'l raceway. SVTOA Thunder in the Rockies. Went last year. When the truck had stock f-1 and only 4000 miles on it. now it has 14300 miles and the same F1's. the right front was the most noticably worn tire. The outer edge was really worn down. But I switched it with the right rear and never had any problems. 2 days after Pikes Peak I drove it 1900 miles to PA for a funeral, and back. So these tires have really did me good. I'm sure you go to the Texas speedway event?

But if you say your rubber will last long enough for 2 days up there I'll probably get them.

Last edited:
I've actually never gone to an SVTOA event. I go with either The Drivers Edge (thedriversedge.net) at Motorsport Ranch or the Motorsport Club at TWS. However I'm also looking forward to going to Motorsport Ranch Houston that just opened. You have an extra set of wheels right? The tires I'm selling are not meant for street use.

-Edward

I always run street tires, simply because R compounds are great until the loose traction. Street tires will sing and cry letting you know how much traction is left, R compounds dont. The stick until they quit, they will let go with little if any warning. I track a lot, and I'm still not ready for Rs. I would rather be a little slower, but more consistant, and I really never wanted to wrinkle the truck.

If you are going to run the Rs then start medium speed and build slowly. Be careful with those Rs

Bryan

Sloe Truk said:
I always run street tires, simply because R compounds are great until the loose traction. Street tires will sing and cry letting you know how much traction is left, R compounds dont. The stick until they quit, they will let go with little if any warning. I track a lot, and I'm still not ready for Rs. I would rather be a little slower, but more consistant, and I really never wanted to wrinkle the truck.

If you are going to run the Rs then start medium speed and build slowly. Be careful with those Rs

Bryan

I agree that the R's are either "on" or "off". But there is no
comparision to perfromance of the "R" tires against any stocker
or DOT tire. Just go slow til you find the break loose point, then
don't exceed that.

And above all ... Have FUN ...

Tim Skelton has a bunch of stuff on his site about open tracking.

I think he believes that learning on streets is better also.
I did two years on streets, and then moved to the "R"'s and
never looked back ...

PS ... The F1's are a pretty good rain tire, cause those slicks
ain't worth a hoot on a wet track ... even DEW ...

Well, then I guess I'll stick to street tires. My luck I'll get up there and it will rain both days. Thanks alot guys.:bigtu:
Now, what street tires to get. I understand the F-1s are good but they are expensive. And I dont have to get stock size. Actually looking for alittle smaller for more accel. What about BFG KDW2's?

Last edited:
I highly recommend the F1's and not going to R's until you have some experience. The last event I went to there was a G35 (I think) with a blower, suspension work, exhaust and some other stuff that I don't remember. He was on 18" R rubber and wadded up the car badly because A)he didn't know what he was doing, and B)the race tires didn't give him any feedback until it was too late. I think he still would have gone home on a hook with street tires, but maybe would have gotten a little more track time first.

phizer350 said:
What size should i get? I'm thinking 275/35-18.

Personally, I wouldn't go with anything that narrow. I would stick with something at least as wide as stock. One other issue to be prepared for is how low the truck will be with shorter tires. When I went with 275/45's, I could barely get my relatively low floor jack out from under the truck. Of course my truck had been lowered with Roush springs. Just something to keep in mind. BTW, I don't think you'll need any help with acceleration. It will blast out of the corners. I had my fastest laps with a little trailbraking with late apexing. I essentially tried to square off the corners and play "connect-the-straightaways."

-Edward

I ran 285/40s up front and 295/45s or what ever I could find on back. I ran a bunch of different rubber (mostly used stuff I could pick up cheap) the biggest problem is the weight. Most go fast tires can't deal with the weight. I found the NIttos did well, but for cornering I found the Perelli PZero Assymetrico were awesome. I ran them with the viper wheels. Simply awesome sidewall strength, granted I pushed like a pig rooting for a nut, but that was my dumba$$ just not backing down.

If you want to go an just have fun, almost any Z rated street tire will do. I would try the staggered size on the fronts, it is free drop without hacking your suspension, and lower is USUALLY better. I've run 265/35s, 275/35s, 275/40s, 285/40s, 295/35s, and 295/45s on the front. Probably my favorite was the 295/35s but they are expensive new, if you can find a set still at the wear markers, they will probably get you through a day if not the weekend. I would usually eat a set of markers a day, but I was dammed to let anything pass me.

Just go and have fun. Be smart.

Bryan

Back