Those That Trailer Your Trucks

Raymond_B

Administrator
I Support the NLOC
I plan on trailering my truck for the 23+ hour drive to Spookfest. What are good trailer specs (trailer itself not the tow rig) to tow a Gen 1?

Ray, I've towed mine alot. IMO because I've towed with either another Gen 1 or an Expedition it's a must to have brakes on both axles and have a distribution hitch with sway control.

My trailer also has 3500# axles which I'll be upgrading to 5200# one. Also going to a torsion axle instead of leaf's .

Last edited:
It takes a heavier trailer with a bigger bed than your typical car trailer. And like Bobby said, a good brake controller, weight distribution and sway should be considered mandatory if you're using a standard hitch. I really didn't have any issue towing a Lightning on an open trailer with a Lightning with those things in place.

Thanks guys. Keith I like that trailer, that's what I had in mind, but I wanted to see what people were using. I think I've got the tow rig side covered as my 2019 Ecoboost Supercrew has the tow package and a #10,000 lb tow rating.

AAA...... I always worry about tires....make sure you have good trailer tires and in a common size tire so you can get it replaced easily. I'd also bring 2 spares for that long of a tow.... they also make a ramp style lift to change a tire on a trailer. You put it in front of the good tire and pull the trailer up onto it then change the bad tire. A LOT easier then digging out a jack and setting it up. Jegs or Summit sell them, they're cheap....

Like Bobby & Jeff said you want a trailer with dual axle electric brakes (and a brake controller inside your truck). Depending on the weight you might want/need a weight distribution hitch setup.

If you want a real light weight trailer you could go with one like this. The underneath isn’t protected but it’s 17% lighter then the full deck version and gives access to the underneath of the truck for inspection & repair.
https://bri-mar.com/trailers/ch16-7-open-car-hauler/

Must be a 3.5 Ecoboost to have the tow package... Think that is rated for 13,200lbs? My 19 f150 with 5.0 had hitch but no brake controller so I had a factory one installed. Gotta have trailer brakes.

Must be a 3.5 Ecoboost to have the tow package... Think that is rated for 13,200lbs? My 19 f150 with 5.0 had hitch but no brake controller so I had a factory one installed. Gotta have trailer brakes.

Yeah to be all maxed out there's several items you need. I've got the 3.5 EB and "Max Trailer Tow Package" etc etc, I'll go look at the sticker on the truck to be sure. But anyway I think it's fine for the job. My main goal was getting a good trailer.

I did the same thing (I installed it myself and they turned it on in the software)

What gear ratio do you have. I have a 2018 5.0 (that had the long block replaced at 10,000 miles for excessive oil consumption)

I did the same thing (I installed it myself and they turned it on in the software)

What gear ratio do you have. I have a 2018 5.0 (that had the long block replaced at 10,000 miles for excessive oil consumption)

3.55 gear which was hard enough to find. Wanted a 3.73 gear but those are unicorns it seems. Had the truck since August and put 24k miles on it. So far so good. Has its quirks like anything else.

Mine is a 3.73 rear. I would t buy a 3.55 because you lost 1,800lbs of tow rating. 9,100lb with SC, 5-1/2’ bed, 4x4, 5.0, 3.55
10,900lb with SC, 5-1/2’ bed, 4x4, 5.0, 3.73

I literally couldn't find a 3.73 in what I got. Wanted a White, STX, 4x4, with 4 doors, and the 5.0. I drove a state away to get it. But it tows just fine with the 3.55's. have towed our 50 horse 4x4 tractor on 24ft equipment trailer. Tractor has water filled tires as well. Probably over tow rating. One thing I would tell Raymond is that when things start to get heavy the rear will squat a little much for my liking. If towing all the time or across country I would get a pair of helper bags to level it back out. Can be had pretty cheap for the manual fill ones. Also a big trailer generally tows better imo. I tow my lightning on same trailer and it almost looks like you could fit 2 trucks on it lol.

No helper bags, that’s not the correct way to tow. They are only for loads in the bed of your truck. If the tongue weight is too heavy for the truck it is most likely putting the hitch over its rating too. You need a weight distribution hitch system.

5d15b016f64a93647094812b2bae3b09.jpg

They come in different weight ratings depending on your load (the bars are rated differently) it takes the tongue weight and transfers it into the bar (which bows) and takes it off your truck. I use to do this for a living.

Spring for a enclosed and keep truck clean

I have a 24 ft v nose

U best carry spares
And grease axles good. Check lug nuts to

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Next up: Gold-plated headers!! ;)

LOL, well I did by the Kooks...

Enclosed would be nice, but I won't be using it enough to justify the cost. My budget is going to be around 35-4000. But with COVID affecting everything I might just U-Haul trailer it this year :)

Back