suspension for my lightning?

i looking to get into road racing and auto x with my lightning.
would this suspension setup work well?

hotchkis swaybars
hotchkis leaf springs
bilstien or qa1 shocks
ruslow coil springs
ruslow panhard bar
metco lower link t-bars

thanks for any advice you can give me.

Looks very much like my setup in the beginning. You might want to add Clunk washers if you haven't done them already. Just search for clunk washer or member DL.

Sounds like you have a plan!

Bryan

boy you are covering all the spots!have not checked SVT performance yet.
Sloe I got the wheels and as I am sure you have seen I am in the search for a set of stock width 01s so I can make up to sets plan on powder coating themwho ever did the widening did a good job!thanks Stan

Ruslow said:
boy you are covering all the spots!have not checked SVT performance yet.
Sloe I got the wheels and as I am sure you have seen I am in the search for a set of stock width 01s so I can make up to sets plan on powder coating themwho ever did the widening did a good job!thanks Stan

Glad you like them. HE still has the jig so if you know anyone who wants more, LMK.

Bryan

Panhard bar is great, if you can afford the extra $$$ a watts linkage is slightly better, but I dunno how much of a difference you would notice on a genII, so I can't say from my own experience (since I have a genI ) if it worth thr extra $$$ or not... something to check out though.

Steve

Spike Engineering said:
Don't forget to spend money on instruction. It'll go further than any modification.

+1

I've filled a couple of log books already, but still I like to have an instructor for a few sessions. Vicarious experience. Absord all that you can. Everyone drives different. Even if you didn't learn anything from a particular instructor, you tried. Every once in a while I'll get a repeat instructor, and it is good to get feedback from someone whom rode with you before.

Bryan

i would like my truck to be set up more for open track events than auto x. so what lb coil springs should i use. i have a friend svt_ky that has 1200 lb ruslow coils and he does alot of ot events. i have seen alot of guys using 1100 lb coils and a few with 1000 lbs coils. i am sure the lower ones are better for the street but my truck is not a daily driver yet it is street driven. i am willing to have a stiffer ride if a heavier spring is best for ot events. thanks

if you are willing to live with a stiffer ride than you can run the stiff rates.BUT you also will have to live with better shocks and faster wear of suspension componets as well as if you drive over wash board roads the inablity to have total control of your vehicle since the tires will be off the ground as much as on.Those are the down falls of having stiff suspension.Stan

pitstain said:
Don't forget an X-Factor chassis brace !!

If it fits! Pretty sure it has been determined that it will only fit a mostly stock truck, so no aftermarket tranny pans or exhaust. I think el Jefe pretty much gave up on it due to the tranny pan issue. THe frame flex can be lived with, but the tranny fluid is a must.

Bryan

And it's my understanding that most of the frame flex is toward the rear axle where the brace does nothing to stop it. It doesn't do any good to stiffen the front if the back still just flops around.

Unfortunately, I think the Xfactor will turnout to be snake oil. Good idea, but snake oil. Unless Stan or someone else with as much seat time as Stan and has the mechanical know how builds one, then I wouldn't bother buying it. After a while you really get used to the twist, once I installed Stan's panhard bar, I could at least keep the tires under the truck.

Bryan

svtsilverback said:
i looking to get into road racing and auto x with my lightning.
would this suspension setup work well?

hotchkis swaybars
hotchkis leaf springs
bilstien or qa1 shocks
ruslow coil springs
ruslow panhard bar
metco lower link t-bars

thanks for any advice you can give me.

I'm running all of Stan's stuff.
ruslow QA1's all around - heim kit
ruslow 1100lb coils
Stock leafs
ruslow Rear sliders
ruslow Axle relocation device :D (panhard bar)
Metco lower link t-bars.
SO-CAL shock extenders
Stock sway bars, only front endlinks corrected.
Underdrive pullies

I feel I have a lot more predictability when the ride gets squirrely or in a four wheel slide. I wish I would have done one small part at a time and then tested to really know what part had the most effect.

I did do the front, then the rear. Stiffening the front was GREAT. Then the rear brought it all together and gave so much more balance.

Fun stuff, really. I'm happy with it, I know their is more to be gained; but I question how much more- and would it be worth it?

If you're ever near cincy and like a demostration- let me know. Wait, you know SVT_KY- that man is nutz.
Drop me a line if you need anything!
Enough of my ramblings,
John

Back