Surprise, A Tranny Question

FireGuy

Here's Your Sign
I Support the NLOC
Gregg,

First off, thank you for always being extremely helpful with our problems. I want to thank you for the posting that explains how the return process works as I had included a lengthy note when I sent the three valve bodies back. Never heard back from you, now I know why.

I have my third FTVB. a 2c in my '02 Lightning, just turned 13,000 miles.

I am fairly pleased with the 2C I currently have.

My question was, and is, since I have installed the valve body(ies), there seems to be a normal shifting pattern change.

When on light throttle, it goes up through the gears quite quickly. 10-15 for the 1-2 and 18-25 for the 2-3.
I was sure that it held in these gears longer with just a little more throttle pressure when it was new, now it does not. I have to be into the throttle more than halfway to bring the shift points up.
I have cleared the ecm many times, there is no chip or tune on it, only cat backs and open air box.

Am I just nuts or is there some sort of problem or adjustment necessary?

Dbl G said:

Thanks for the reminder on the search, I have done extensive searches on three different forums and came up quite empty. Maybe you have better info and would be willing to share and help rather than just be critical.

maybe

I think maybe you're just experiencing the lack of shift duration.
Just guessing here, but your ECM sends the signal to the solenoid to shift. The transmission says "ok" and begins that process. From that point, it's all mechanical. Stock- it would be drawn out, specifically at light throttle because little fluid pressure has built up.
The FTVB is 'tuned' , so more fluid pressure builds up sooner, and it appears to be shifting sooner.
End of Guess.

Another thought - you could be experiencing the convertor locking up. I know my convertor lockup would sometimes feel like at shift at light throttle.
I doubt what's happening is bad. If it's shifting so soon that the engine is bogging down- then I'd say their is a problem.

FireGuy said:
Thanks for the reminder on the search, I have done extensive searches on three different forums and came up quite empty. Maybe you have better info and would be willing to share and help rather than just be critical.
Actually I posted that there because I was interested in where this took you. As a book mark if you will. It is better to wear ones food on ones sleeve then ones emotions. With a disposition such as that I am sure you have many friends.

Dbl G said:
Actually I posted that there because I was interested in where this took you. As a book mark if you will. It is better to wear ones food on ones sleeve then ones emotions. With a disposition such as that I am sure you have many friends.

OOPS,

My mistake, I misunderstood what your reply meant. I guess you have noticed something about these forums, when a question is asked, the flame dogs are ready to tear you up rather than give help or say nothing. I have been around a while and usually just look at items of interest to me. I try to help others if I can and would not intentionally start a war. This can be a great resource to anyone seeking help, it can also be very frustrating to those who try to ask questions.

Peace

It sounds perfectly normal to me. Shifts are commanded by the PCM so when they occur has really very little to do with the accumulator. I think part of it is what John is saying, the duration is not there so you're not getting so much slip and the shift is completeing earlier, which is normal, and second I think some of it might just be perception, it's very hard to tell without driving it, but nothing I see makes me think you have a prolblem that should worry you about if the tranny is not working right.

G

Thanks Gregg,

You are probably right, just a little paranoia on my part because of another problem. One of L vendors told me that these transmissions don't reach their peak and begin operating correctly until the fluid is warmed up or about a ten mile plus drive, longer if you had an additional trans cooler.

I still feel that I want the shifts to be more like the ones described in the 2CR body. Is there anything in between the 2C and the 2CR? If not I am positive I will end up getting the 2CR version. Heck, it will only be the fifth time I've r & r'ed the valve body, I am getting good at it. With only 13,000 miles, the fluid has hardly been used and the filters are coming out clean now.:grin1:

Back