Pulley squeel

M

Mark Miller

I installed new pulleys on my truck and now the new belt squeels at start up and at time at starting from a stop.. I went all the way down to a 99" belt... Does anyone have any suggestions???

Mark

Try running the stock belt but route it like the Mustang belt (Reverse the way it goes over the water pump and around the crank). This seems to work fine for people with the underdrive pulleys.

I know I almost always install the belt backwards the first time I try to put it on and it is definitely "shorter" in that routing.

Later!
Jeff S.

I put March underdrive pullies on. The Belt I ran was a 99in. belt. No problem, except til today. I turned the AC on and the ever embarassing belt squeel. I changed the belt to a 98.7in. belt. The belt is Kelly Springfield P/N 987K6. No more squeel.

Jeff S.,
Thanks I ran the original belt and it seems to have stopped the squeel I will see tomorrow when I start my truck in the morning..

Thanks,Mark

Mark, I have the auto specialty 2 pulley setup crank and water pump. Stock belt run like the mustang (backwards from stock) works perfect never squels.
Later,
Kurt

Sorry to butt into what seems like every topic tonight... but had this happening stock everything and new belt after doing a water pump. Cleaned every surface in sight with scotch bright pad and Dawn soap including the brand new belt, rinse very clean. No more noise, except from wife a bit p*ssed about missing detergent and pad. At least it wasn't her toothbrush this time (very good for only slightly grungy piston grooves. grin.)

Back