Preliminary LF Results and Comments

NLOC

BBM
I Support the NLOC
JLP, LFP and PSP attended the event. REM and JDM did not make it. We also missed SCT, FT/Dieselsite.com (Florida weather problems). Todd from TCE did fly in and installed the brake setup for Airtroop 1.....who put a rod through the block on the first run Friday morning.

JL did make two sub-9 second passes Saturday evening after cleaning out the fuel system. The race gas was shipped in metal cans and the gas was rusting the inside of the cans.

We ended up with 144 registered participants, down 9 from last years 153.

Open Track will never be a part of any future LF that we have anything to do with (only a few Lightnings participated in the OT)! Any HD trucks that wishs to participate in any future LF may do so, but will not have separate drag or show classes....the HD's were a NO SHOW (~14)!:(

We did have TV coverage on Friday and were on TV live twice on Saturday. The Topeka newspaper printed an article on LF, which was published on Monday. Here is the link to the article online.
www.cjonline.com/stories/092704/loc_fordfancy.shtml

The True Street Truck class had 20 participants..fun even though the rules were changed to accommodate the tracks timing equipment...6 cops leading 20 trucks!

We have not run the final numbers yet, but it looks like we may have broke even this year.:tu:

More later!

...Dwight...

BigD said:
We have not run the final numbers yet, but it looks like we may have broke even this year.:tu:

More later!

...Dwight...

Thats the best news! :tu: Thanks again for the great event!

Brian,
link no worky..

Big D.... Had a great time, was good to meet you and Nan...

See ya next year......:D :D

Last edited:
JR you gotta plug in "junkmail" for username and "junkmail" for password back on cjonline.com

Frank5L said:
JR you gotta plug in "junkmail" for username and "junkmail" for password back on cjonline.com

Frank,
I must be a moron, still can't get it to work. The "junkmail" name and password shows but then what do I do???:hh: :hh:

hmm, I clicked on the link that BigD posted, and then typed in that username and password and the article came up.

BigD said:
Open Track will never be a part of any future LF that we have anything to do with (only 3 or 4 Lightnings participated in the OT)!

Were there only 3 or 4? We taped the group 1 sessions for frocefedcobra and I think there were least 5 in that group alone. Were there none in groups 2-4? Regardless, it isn't very many. Maybe we should sell a one session pass for $15 with an option to pay for the rest of the sessions. :D I haven't met anyone yet that wasn't addicted to OT once they tried it. Most of the battle is just getting people out there the first time.

I think punting open track is a bad thing, but if it is required for the event to continue so be it. If the event broke even I'd say the current formula is working, maybe just needs some fine tuning. If the event is changing locations next year anyway, maybe a location could be found where there is an open track day already planned for the weekend by another group. Then the people who want to track their trucks can do so, but NLOC wouldn't be out the money to make the event happen.

I really enjoyed the event. I'm glad it worked out that I could attend except that I was only able to attend because my truck was broken. The only thing that bothered me was the 1/2 mile walk from the spectator parking to any of the events. When I heard that spectators would not be allowed to park in the event area I thought that meant they would be in a different area of HPT, not outside the gate.

Anyway, it was a great event and I look forward to the next one. You guys do a great job on this event.

I've done it and had a blast. Just too hard on my truck. Its a drag truck, not a curve-taker. I usually brake easily 1 time per 30mins or so, not hard 10-12 times per 2 mins.

Big D, I really hope you break even or mabey get in the black some. As for this last one I definitely got my moneys worth. I did both the street Lightning drag , broke out the race before semi's,and Open Track for 3 early sessions, couldn't do the car
show being on the track. I just have to say you did an absoulute great job/ pats on the back to all the support staff too!!!! If you do break even and did it with 9 less trucks you definitely could be a corporate cost cutter. However I agree with earlier posts that we shouldn't just toss out the Open track idea totally. Say we have it in Texas couldn't we get an SVTOA on track event to coordinate with us? Speaking of that why the heck can't SVT put a
little more backing into it since we're the ones buying the product and many will be again in 06/07. :? They say they don't need to spend on advertising so where's all the money going?:confused:
Mabey it went for R&D for the Mustang:ae: The good thing is we have almost a year to plan and already were making plans :hail:
P.S.-I think we all should flood SVT's box with emails asking what they did for Lfest and to at least sponser something! Pulling up a trailer to sell stuff just doesn't cut it;c

oilwell1415... If we'd made you come in the spectator entrance and park over there, the walk would have been about twice as long. We tried to make it as easy for you as possible.

I know you probably won't ever hold this event in Topeka again because of the cost...but with any track that big why make people park clear out in BFE when there was more than plenty of room inside the gates?:confused: I understand if it was a little track and no room to park inside but that was a little extreme. You could have designated parking out in the grass somewhere for spectators only.

I am from Topeka and I had some friends want to come out and watch but after they found out they had to pay $15 and walk 1/2 a mile they said screw it. You guys lost some money there. I'm not triing to talk down everything you guys did to put this on, you guys did an outstanding job putting this event on and I had a great time:tu:.

I just don't understand why we couldn't pull inside the gates and park on the pavement with everyone else. There was plenty of space. What I really don't understand is why I watched old ladies with walkers and people in wheelchairs rolling in from the back 40. (No, I'm not making that up, and I know other people saw it too) If I had known we would have to walk from BYE after paying $30 we probably would not have made the drive to support the event. My back and knees bother me too much to have to pack chairs, cameras and all that crap that far, then have to pack it around inside the track to get video and pics from various locations. Another thing is that there were probable another 15-20 trucks parked outside the gates. If they had been allowed inside it would have made the truck count 10% higher.

You are missing the point. ONLY PEOPLE THAT PAID THE ENTRY FEE AND HELPED TO SUPPORT THE EVENT WERE ALLOWED TO PARK IN THE PITS! Spectators added a few $ to the pot, but really do not help like those that registered (1 registered = 7-10 spectators). Many who registered did not race, just hung out in the pits...but paid the registration fee to help support the event and club.

We will do the same thing next year....register and park in the pits...spectate, and you will not be able to park in the pits. If we let spectators park in the pits, why would any one not racing register and pay a participant fee?? It is a business decision, and we will not change the rules. We did allow any that had a problem walking and asked to park inside, to drive in, but not folks that had trucks and did not want to pay the registration fee.

BTW our vehicle count is the count of paid registrants...not the count of trucks.

...Dwight...

why would any one not racing register and pay a participant fee??

That is their desicion. If they want to pay it fine, that is great for everyone. But what does making everyone that is a spectator prove by making them park in bumb f*#k Egypt? Either you are loyal to the club or you aren't, parking has nothing to do with it! Like Oilwell1415 and I said, you lost or could lose that fee for however many spectators that turn their back that helps pay for the event, granted its not much but everything helps. Spectators help support the club/event just as much as the participents. Look at the big events, where do they get most of the money? Spectators, they are there because they love it as much as the racers but choose not to because they can't afford to or what ever else the reason.

BTW, I registered and raced at both Lfest 1&2. The parking had nothing to do with me but this could maybe help you guys out with getting and keeping spectators to come back.

This is your event and you can do what you would like, just my.02

Last edited:
FWIW, at the ’98 WFC I couldn’t race, but paid the entry fee just so I could park in the pits with everyone else. Same principle, really…

If the spectator admission is such a miniscule and insignificant portion why even charge anything to spectate? If the pits were stuffed full of participants I could understand parking outside. The pits were not full. Anyone that shows up at the track and pays money to do anything at the event is helping support the club. If my truck happens to be broken again next year, which I hope it isn't, I'll remember how insignificant my spectator admission was and stay home. There are definitely other things that the few hundred dollars I spent on the trip could have been (and probably should have been) spent on, like bills and house payments. Instead I chose to come to come and support an event I hadn't planned on attending until 2 days before it started. When I go to the NHRA nationals, NASCAR, IRL and other races like that I will gladly park outside the gates and walk. If/when LFest makes it to that level I will gladly walk from outside the gates. Until then, I'll support the event from home.

Back