Miss

hotrodbobl93

hotrodbob
It seems that I have a little miss at ideal and when I get into it. I have replaced the plug,cap rotor and wires. This truck has 74,489 miles I feel it could be dirty injectors maybe. could use some help.

Will I think I may have found some of my issue. On my way home from work the truck stopped run as I pulled up to a stop light. I got it started but had to keep my foot into it. Would run at high RPM's but not the greatest. Got it home went to friends shop and he told me to tap on my IAC valve and I did and it now will start and run. Still act's like it has a miss. I am going to clean or replace the IAC and he is going to clean my injectors.

the iac is rather pricey, do the relearn on it before you replace it, after you clean it.

unplug the battery, hit the brakes, wait 2 mins, unplug the iac, connect the battery, start the truck, set the idle at the TB, let it warm up/idle for 2 minutes. make sure everything is off(ac, radio, etc.)
shut the truck off, disconnect the battery, hit the brakes, wait 2 mins, plug iac back in, reconnect battery, start truck keep everything off, let it run for 2 mins.

repeat battery dance but keep iac plugged in, wait 2 mins, restart and turn on everything.

make sure your timing is set between 10 & 14, 10 factory, 14 for high performance kill mode(or something like that)

also check the IAT sensor to make sure its not all nasty.

my miss was from a faulty coolant temp sensor in the heater line fluctuating between truck is overheating/running too cool.

Take it off and clean it also remove the to and clean the blade they tend to build carbon on the lower back edge. I know the sticker says do not clean but it is fine to do it. Soak the iac in carb cleaner real good to loosen the carbon in it.

... search ...

It's all here.

Everything you could possibly need to know about tracking this symptom down and killing it.

If it's truly missing, and if you've replaced cap, rotor, wires & plugs, then most likely culprits are

- arcing/crossfire due to faulty plug wire or incorrect plug wire routing

EFCjk6dl.gif

- bad/cracked plug or a plug gap that's way off

- bad/clogged injector

If it's just a rough/surging idle, then it could be lots of things and you just have to work your way through all the possibilities. And as Bump said, there are lots of threads - many recent - on surge and rough idle.

Last edited:
Believe me I will use the site all I can. I am going to work on the area's I have talked about first. I am not that knowledgeable at this point but I will get there with everyone's help.

Will I took off the TB and EGR spacer to clean everything. I seen very little carbon on anything. I am cleaning it all but the ICA had very little if not any carbon in it. I am just going to replace it. At this point I really do not see much that could cause an issue. I am all so going to replaced the IAT sensor. I am not given up yet. Put it all back clean the injectors and replace the fuel filter. Hope that all this will fix it.

Provided things are narrowed down to likely sensor issues (i.e. plugs and wires are good, timing is good, fuel filter is good, etc.) the sensors that that seem to be the culprits the majority of the time as far a poor idle and blips through the RPMs are ...

- IAC
- TPS
- ECT
- ACT
- MAP

OK I need some help. I can not find the TB gaskets. I have a ford part number but can not find them from any body else. No one seems to list them.

OK I need some help. I can not find the TB gaskets. I have a ford part number but can not find them from any body else. No one seems to list them.

Felpro 70262

Felpro 72543

These are available at all parts stores and are usually in stock all the time.

You're problem here is likely that you're searching parts stores for F150 Lightning 351W parts. This being the case, most parts stores will give you the wring part since they have the wrong parts cataloged.

For most, if not all upper intake parts, your search should be for parts for a '93 Mustang Cobra or Cobra R. Some '93 Mustang GT parts work too.

Believe me I know. I just hope that when I get everything and put the stuff on it fixes it.

My small town parts store had to order them I'll get them tomorrow.

All so I send you a PM.

Well it is running again. I have change the IAC and the fuel filter. I found the filter to be the stock one. Cleaned the TB and EGR valve and spacer. Found one spark plug wire to have come off while it was running. I am not sure if I need to replace the MAP sensor. I am going to take it for a drive now.

I took it for a little ride and it seems to be running good. I feel I need to get the injectors cleaned and I am and get all to old gas out. When I changed to fuel filter there was some water come out of the filter when I tuned it up side down draining from he back side. I will drive it for a while then change the fuel filter again.

I am sorry but I am a little missed up. I know that we have a ECT which may be coolant, but what about ACT? All so which one is the Ambient Air sensor. That's the one I am looking for.

Back