intake spacers

L

Litl Sam

I know that an intake spacer is for keeping the incoming air cooler and denser. But, I was wanting to get some opinions on whether it is somthing worth doing. And, what kind of changes can be expected if one is installed. Also, what size is suggested.

Sam

I was also thinking about this mod in the future..I was looking at the trick flow® spacer which is a 1" spacer. I also have heard horror stories about the composite material chipping and flaking etc...how much hp is this mod worth if any???

I have the 1" spacer on mine and it didn't do anything. The good thing about it is that I can take the valve covers off with out removing the intake and it did make the motor look a little bigger. But the GT-40 intake has long runners as it is, and really all it does is add to the lenght.

Shawn
NLOC #387

Sam , Long runners increase torque at lower RPM andimproves fuel eonomy, shorter length runners increase torque at high RPM at a slight expense of fuel economy. I have a 1" spacer on mine and I think it has helped.
Ken

I agree with Shawn. The spacer helps geting your hands around things, but does nothing for preformance or gas mileage (I have both strip times and mileage records, sorry folks, it looks cool but does nothing).

Right now I have a 3/8" BBK spacer. But, it's coming out tomorrow in favor of a 1" so the tall valve covers will clear the intake. If someone going to WFC wants the 3/8" spacer, it's theirs - free. I'll just bring it with me.

Does anyone make a spacer thats the same color as the intake, i like the idea of have a spacer to get the valve covers of without taking off the upper intake.

Laurence Weiler

I had one made from a billet of aluminum after breaking several of the old-style black phenolics. I needed it to clear the tall valve covers. It looked cool, too. I may sell it, though I haven't decided that for sure yet.

Later!
Jeff S.

Jeff,
If you do sell it, put me first on your list. I'll take it.

Laurence

i put a used 1in. on mine few weeks back. use a bungecord to hold the upper intake up and slide the spacer in works pretty good. i think it helps the truck run better. idle seems smoother and lowend power is good. gas mileage is up a bit too! it was worth 40bucks to me. D`S93

Back