Hellllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooo

madramper

#projectplatypus
I see its been almost a month since anyone has posted in here! Does anyone have winter projects going? If not, just stop in and say hello! Eventually I'm going to start working on my pile of parts again. So what's going on?

Chipster, rather than working on a pile of parts, you should be working on one of your many Lightnings. lol
I've started to do some sub assembly work on my much anticipated 3/4 drop. Got the bars, shocks, '94 spindles. Need some drop hangars, brake parts and bushings yet. Oh and time. About 2 weeks worth.

Not a whole lot here either. We still have to hook up for the core support.I've got a new set of fans and a 4" down pipe to do to mate to the new wind maker.

Mine is apart right now. Thrashing to get ready for Dyno Wars. Looking to up the game a little this year. New bullet cam coming and maybe a new huge wind maker :devious:

I have been doing small items over the last few weeks on the L -- finally installed the Windstar efans I pulled from the local junkyard, wired one of them into a Derale adjustable controller, and still tuning the dial on the fan controller to get this one where I want it. I only wired one fan up, as I figured it would do the job of cooling this mostly stock truck, and I drive it like a granny and rarely use AC - my AC is windows down and rolling, even in a new mexico summer :). In time with enough mods or possibly using the AC, I will wire the other up. Taking it for test drives in this cool weather, and the temp gauge sticks on the N in NORMAL. Now that I have the fan installed, I can see why folks recommend to have a larger(130amp) alternator; when I turned on my lights with the fan on, I could hear a slight change in fan speed. At this time, the truck doesn't even have a radio in it(just a hole), so I will be looking to upgrade to a larger alternator before the spring time.

Since I have only had the L for a couple of months, I have been exploring things that have been forgotten or not maintained. In conversation with the previous, he told me he had changed the TPS sensor on the truck. This weekend I decided to kill two birds with one stone, as I check the voltage that the sensor had at closed and WOT, and also made sure the butterfly in the TB was opening 100%. The voltage I saw was .80 when I tested it first. I used a drill bit and made the screw holes wider to allow for some adjustment. Once I was done, I attached it and turned it as far as it would allow -- it read 1.10v. I then read somewhere that it should be somewhere around 1v, less than(.98-.99v) - I adjusted again at closed and ended with about .99 closed, and 4.72v WOT. One thing I noticed immediately during warm up, it that the idle seemed to be a little lower and more steady. Once on the road, the transmission shifts felt so much better - some would say that their trucks feel like they have a "shift kit" and they do not...I would recommend to have them check and adjust in necessary, the TPS sensor. My first to second shift used to hit pretty hard and very early, along with 2-3, early, and OD also early...didn't matter the load on the engine/tranny, it would just shift like that. Once the TPS sensor was adjusted though, the 1-2 shift is smooth and the timing/speed is correct, and 2-3 is fine now, much smoother also, and OD comes in at the right time/speed also now. The truck used to have an odd idle also...as it would wander up to 1000 at times at a stoplight, or almost feel like it wanted to die also, randomly. I really had no idea how much a TPS sensor out of adjustment, could cause so many issues.

Otherwise, a quick but fun project was getting rid of the 20 year old intake tube with K&N filter adapter kit. I like the Madramper CAI, but wanted to do something myself, so I got an Airaid UBI kit, some couplers, clamps and my hacksaw/file/razor, and began to hack. The K&N air filter now sits roughly in the same area as the madramper, and the noise level is not annoying anymore. With the previous owner, there was a AFE filter attached to the K&N steel adapter, which was quite noisy in the location it's in, and I usually like those kinds of noises. With the filter now sitting far forward and down, I can still hear it, but the "hiss" isn't as pronounced as it was.

Next few things are fuel filter replacement, spark plug replacement, and flushing the brake fluid, which will keep me busy for a week or two, and then I am sure I will find something else to work on.

I have been doing small items over the last few weeks on the L -- finally installed the Windstar efans I pulled from the local junkyard, wired one of them into a Derale adjustable controller, and still tuning the dial on the fan controller to get this one where I want it. I only wired one fan up, as I figured it would do the job of cooling this mostly stock truck, and I drive it like a granny and rarely use AC - my AC is windows down and rolling, even in a new mexico summer :). In time with enough mods or possibly using the AC, I will wire the other up. Taking it for test drives in this cool weather, and the temp gauge sticks on the N in NORMAL. Now that I have the fan installed, I can see why folks recommend to have a larger(130amp) alternator; when I turned on my lights with the fan on, I could hear a slight change in fan speed. At this time, the truck doesn't even have a radio in it(just a hole), so I will be looking to upgrade to a larger alternator before the spring time.

Since I have only had the L for a couple of months, I have been exploring things that have been forgotten or not maintained. In conversation with the previous, he told me he had changed the TPS sensor on the truck. This weekend I decided to kill two birds with one stone, as I check the voltage that the sensor had at closed and WOT, and also made sure the butterfly in the TB was opening 100%. The voltage I saw was .80 when I tested it first. I used a drill bit and made the screw holes wider to allow for some adjustment. Once I was done, I attached it and turned it as far as it would allow -- it read 1.10v. I then read somewhere that it should be somewhere around 1v, less than(.98-.99v) - I adjusted again at closed and ended with about .99 closed, and 4.72v WOT. One thing I noticed immediately during warm up, it that the idle seemed to be a little lower and more steady. Once on the road, the transmission shifts felt so much better - some would say that their trucks feel like they have a "shift kit" and they do not...I would recommend to have them check and adjust in necessary, the TPS sensor. My first to second shift used to hit pretty hard and very early, along with 2-3, early, and OD also early...didn't matter the load on the engine/tranny, it would just shift like that. Once the TPS sensor was adjusted though, the 1-2 shift is smooth and the timing/speed is correct, and 2-3 is fine now, much smoother also, and OD comes in at the right time/speed also now. The truck used to have an odd idle also...as it would wander up to 1000 at times at a stoplight, or almost feel like it wanted to die also, randomly. I really had no idea how much a TPS sensor out of adjustment, could cause so many issues.

Otherwise, a quick but fun project was getting rid of the 20 year old intake tube with K&N filter adapter kit. I like the Madramper CAI, but wanted to do something myself, so I got an Airaid UBI kit, some couplers, clamps and my hacksaw/file/razor, and began to hack. The K&N air filter now sits roughly in the same area as the madramper, and the noise level is not annoying anymore. With the previous owner, there was a AFE filter attached to the K&N steel adapter, which was quite noisy in the location it's in, and I usually like those kinds of noises. With the filter now sitting far forward and down, I can still hear it, but the "hiss" isn't as pronounced as it was.

Next few things are fuel filter replacement, spark plug replacement, and flushing the brake fluid, which will keep me busy for a week or two, and then I am sure I will find something else to work on.

Dano, this is in our local section. From what I see your not from the Delaware Valley area.

Mine is sitting and waiting on the convergence of funds and time. I have a nine inch/ladder bar/coilover setup ready to go in. Equiped with race brakes and a bit narrower than stock. It will require new wheels and slicks. But it will save a bunch of weight.

Jim

I've got a set of aerospace street/race brakes sitting in the garage lookin PURDY! Just need to find the time and motivation to yank the axles to get them machined to fit the new brake hats. Then I've got a set of race star dark stars and 315/60/15 MTs to put on for street mode so I can finally get some traction on the street. And a superduty trans cooler that I need to install, but I want to convert all the OEM hard lines to Teflon braided stuff.

But, it's winter time, it's cold out, dark early, and no racing till April anyway, so all that stuff's on the back burner till I either really get an itch to wrench over the winter, or once spring hits.

In the mean time I got some delval trophies to build :D

Back