Exhaust build

For that kind of sound you might want to check out the episode they did on dual vs single. A well built large single exhaust can be nice. I actually thought about getting a 3.5 or 4 inch single exhaust back kit for a diesel. And doing like a dual 3 inch in single 3.5 out muffler. kind of like that over the axel single that bassani did for our trucks but long tubes and bigger pipes. I think it would sound nice when driving but flow nice at full throttle. It might be cheaper too?

Check out over the axel kits for 92-96 f250 diesel 4x4 trucks. There are way more options than 2 wheel drive kits.

Going over the axle makes a huge difference in sound. I've ran a big single on every Lightning I've had. Two of the trucks came to me with duals and turndowns and there is no way I could live with that much noise in something I drive regularly. I don't care if it's worth 4 hp (or whatever) if it was duals, I like the sound and packaging of the single.

I went turbo ~25 years ago because I couldn't live with noise of the exhaust system I had on the truck back then, which was duals - I had changed away from the Bassani in search of those 5 hp (or whatever).

Kinda like the intake manifold - I'm sure I'm giving up power, and certainly giving up cam/rpms, but I don't care. :)

For that kind of sound you might want to check out the episode they did on dual vs single. A well built large single exhaust can be nice. I actually thought about getting a 3.5 or 4 inch single exhaust back kit for a diesel. And doing like a dual 3 inch in single 3.5 out muffler. kind of like that over the axel single that bassani did for our trucks but long tubes and bigger pipes. I think it would sound nice when driving but flow nice at full throttle. It might be cheaper too?

Check out over the axel kits for 92-96 f250 diesel 4x4 trucks. There are way more options than 2 wheel drive kits.
I'd like to, but i dont have the subscription. maybe i'll sign up for a month, idk. i just ordered the speed engineering kit on monday. i hope it fits, if not i'll be returning it and maybe look closer at a y adapter mid-way and going single to the back. my math tells me i need like 4.5" on the sinlge to not choke anything down.

Edited: nevermind.. it's also on HBO MAX. I'll check it out

Last edited:
In my opinion, you'll have to go oval if you want to get 4.5" over the axle if your truck is lowered at all. Just need to be aware of that space consideration.

FWIW... I used this Banks 4" kit from a 94-97 F-250 Powerstroke and it works very well for my single turbo needs and was less expensive than buying SS tubing and custom fabricating something if you want just a single 4" over the axle. Also used the factory hangers.

exhaust.jpg

that's clean!!! what does that sound like? definetley a plan b!!

also Stiffler's sent me this. looks like it's right in the way from what i want.

Another question on duals. Are resonators like vibrant better placed way upstream between the headers and the x-pipe or further downstream between the x-pipe and the muffler(s)?

Attachments

• TCB-FT05 LAYOUT.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 7
It is actually louder than I anticipated with the turbo and the physical size of the muffler, but that’s a relative term… it’s not loud by any means. It has a nice low rumble at idle and there is no drone while driving. It’s actually very pleasant IMO while still giving a hint of sound. Hopefully these files upload. You may have to hit the mute button in the top right to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion, that was a brilliant way to go, and it sounds fantastic. Do you have any kind issues with it hitting in your lowered truck? The 3" on both of mine has "contact marks" from the swaybar bracket. On the red truck, it's against the bed, so there's no additional room to be had.

I would always do a single exhaust if the pipe size needed could be packaged well. I love that Banks system. Single is the most efficient by a significant margin, but just gets hard to package when you're getting into the larger pipe sizes.

I put the whole Stifflers catalog on my Gen 2 a couple of years ago. The biggest disappointment was that the chassis brace didn't clear the existing exhaust. Actually, that's not correct. The biggest disappointment was their non-existent customer service. There were some design issues as well, but that's neither here nor there. I loved my old exhaust. It was perfect, but it hung too low for the brace to clear and I had to cut it off and fab up a new one. It's much louder now, but not nearly as smooth sounding.

gawd! That sounds incredible. Now I’m second guessing myself. I may go this route

My opinion, that was a brilliant way to go, and it sounds fantastic. Do you have any kind issues with it hitting in your lowered truck? The 3" on both of mine has "contact marks" from the swaybar bracket. On the red truck, it's against the bed, so there's no additional room to be had.

It is close, but clears the sway bar brackets. I had him push the exhaust up as much as possible to help clear the rearend. Cut and re-welded the hangers to be shorter. It does get very close on the hard brake line on the back of the axle tube, but still clears it.

Funny I had issues with the sway bar bracket back when I had a muffler shop built 3” pipe as well. Seemed to only hit it when I’d hit a large bump though.

I just did dual header back but used this eBay kit for the over axle section. I’m not sure if they make it in stainless. But it is pretty good quality and fit for the price. It’s even with the frame rails at the tail pipes.

1712266767049.png

20.5" on the case and 28" total including pipe on either end.
perfect, thank you

Struggling to estimate the room in front of it. I need to fit a y adapter and crossover pipe behind the transmission mount. It looks tight with this long of a muffler. :/

Last edited:
It’s a huge muffler being a diesel kit. I’m not sure it will work with the Y behind the trans crossmember. Maybe if you move the muffler back some, but all the hangers would need to be changed to work probably.

I don’t have my factory hangers anyway. So maybe I can make it work. I’ll take some better measurements this week

Back