DETONATION DRIVING ME MAD

J

JB351

MY 94 L DETONATES AT HALF THROTTLE OR ANY TIME I KICK DOWN INTO 2ND FROM DRIVE. SHE HAS 100K MILES ON HER AND IS ALWAYS RUN ON 93 OR BETTER FUEL. TIMING IS SET AT 12, FUEL PRESSURE AT 40, AND A BASSANI EXHAUST. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If you can hear it, it's really bad. Take it down to 10 degrees and see if it goes away? Check the condition of the damper, it may have moved on the ring which would provide bad timing marker. Losing a few horsepower from timing is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing pistons with big holes melted in them.

Also, did you put the spout back in after setting the timing?

Last, might try a heat range colder on your plugs. Do they have any deposits on them that look like aluminum?

Also, does your L consume oil? Oil seepage into the combustion chamber mixes with the fuel and renders a lower octane. This could be a cause of detonation.

I,LL TRY THE TIMING. THE PLUGS I'M USING ARE
BOSCH 4228 I BELIEVE, THEY COME OUT CLEAN AS A PIN EVERY TIME I TUNE, EXCEPT FOR THE LIGHT TAN/ASH COLOR I ALWAYS TOOK FOR NORMAL. AS FOR OIL CONSUMPTION SHE DOSN'T USE ANY BUT THE REAR MAIN WAS SEEPING AND I HAVE ALREADY REPLACED IT. THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE.

Back