Blower Cam Specs (ROLLER THAT IS)

S

sstock

Jeff, You mentioned Harold Nix's Blower cam for speed density. Would he be willing to share cam specs and idle vacuum readings? I too am planning a cam change later this year hopefully. Was thinking of going with about 204 degrees of intake duration and around 214 degrees of exhaust duration at .050. Get as much lift as possible with 1.6 roller lifters. Lobe centers at 114 degrees. Not sure of the cam advance though, was thinking 4 degrees? any input?

Harold's cam was done by the same people who did mine. If I'm giving away his secrets, he can smack me in the head at the WFC -
My numbers are 220/228 @ .050, .547/.535 lift with 1.6 rockers, 114 lobe centers, -5 degrees overlap. Harold's numbers are VERY similar with adjustment in overlap and some minor changes in duration for the sake of the speed density. My cam pulls 12" at idle, Harolds pulls 16" and keeps the SD perfectly content, according to him.

Those numbers were developed for the Fox Lake Twisted Wedge heads we both run and were originally developed for the Kenne Bell supercharger, though they seemed to work well enough for the Vortech as well.

Keep in mind that you'll need good valve springs to run those numbers. You'll also have to do a roller conversion.

Cam Motion can make a cam for whatever your heart desires. You can stay flat tappet and speed density and they will come up with the correct blower cam for your application.

Later!
Jeff S.

I also had Cam Motion do my cam. I stayed with a flat tappet for my speed density/nitrous combo. It should be back from the tuner tomorrow, so I will soon know how it works. Oh and the cam/lifters cost less than the off the shelf I was gonna buy!

mine specs out to (w/1.7 RR) .522 in / .526 ex, 214/220* duration, -6* overlap and 114* centerline. Intersting to see the differences between the custom blower and nitrous cams. BTW mine is setup for mild Edelbrock Performer heads.

Hey guys, Will a custom chip be needed to account for possible AF changes or will stock still work?

You will definitely need a chip to run a more "radical" chip. Dont forget about things like injectors, fuel system, heads exhaust too.

Steve,

I don't think a chip will necessarily be required to due this, My experience with speed density and chips (7 in all) was a nightmare... Nothing could touch the stock program, I would try that first and play with the fuel pressure.

I'm currently working on a 87 Lincoln Mark VII, Should have it running in just a day or two... This car is speed density and I went with a Comp Blower cam 215/224 114 533/533, I'm convinced that I can make it run well with the speed density and no chip! We'll see...

Later,
Dave P.

Dave , Keep me posted on the cam and tuning, I'm gathering as much info as I can before jumping.

Dave how do you plan to account for all the changes? Im not saying you cant do it, but it seems when you get into "big" cams, injectors, etc, etc. you seem to need to make changes to accomodate. I hope you can do it, if so I just wasted a bunch of money getting my truck tuned. If you are sucessful, please share the details with us, ok?

I "think" the trick is to run the stock
19# injectors (In this case) The motor I built for the car should only make about 325hp with some added pressure I feel the 19s will support this in NA form... As for the cam change its not a real big cam or too far from stock, I know guys who have run bigger cams with success! We'll see what happens... I started the car tonight and so far its not going to well, Its idling at 2800 but I need more time to look into it... I will keep you guys posted!

Eventually I plan to add nitrous or an S-Trim to the car, Then I will most likely switch to mass air, EEC tuner and bigger injectors,

You guys want to hear something really crazy... I talked to a guy who has a Mark VII with Eldelbrock heads, after-market intake, 10#s of boost, etc. and he's running 30s injectors on the stock SD program only tuning with fuel pressure! He claims to have stock like drivability and get good gas mileage too! How he does it I don't know but So far he's run 12.1 @ 114 in a 4000# car!
I can tell you this... When I tried to run 30s without a chip in my Lightning it was horrible !!!

Later!
Dave P

I just read my posts something not coming across right here let me explain better, With my Lightning I first tried 30s with the SD just to see what would happen, Ran like crap so I put in a chip that had the low end stuff done to it to make it run and Idle good etc. with the 30s, It did Idle and drive great but WOT program was changed to account for my mods at the time (6#s of boost, ported heads, Crane Lightning cam) it ran a best of 13.4 like this with 19s and 12-1 FMU 85-90# WOT fuel pressure, With the chip WOT went to hell and I worked with the tuner on the WOT program, All 6 failed so bad the best one the truck ran 14.0, I ended up having him leave the low end stuff done to it and had him change the WOT back to stock, just so I could keep the 30 in, This got me back into the 13.6 range with the
12-1 FMU a ton of pressure again! So basically the 30s did nothing with that setup, Anyways that's the scoop with that...
I tell you for me to get into the 12s has been a lot of work And it still continues!
Its always something I tell ya, Of corse you can just leave them stock and save yourself all the problems but whats the fun in that! ;-)

Later,
Dave P.

Yeah, that story sounds way too familiar. Keith Fromme did the same, went with the mass air and 30's and lost power and ET. Was wondering if anyone has tried 24's with a little lower initial fuel pressure and say a 8 to 1 FMU. This injector I think would allow say up to 9lbs of boost, ported heads and a reasonable roller cam grind and stock chip?. Thing is it would have to pass idle and part throttle emissions. It might be a can of worms too. Chime in with your opinions andexperiences.

Back