Bad track times: HELP!!!!!!!

S

svt450

Calling all 'L' experts! Went to the track last night and embarresed the L family.
I made two runs:15.62@86 then 15.61@86. D'oh!
60'-2.39(both times)
1/8 mile--9.95
1/8 mile--70mph (both)
Last season at track:15.10@88mph
Since then I've added:B&M transpack kit,svo9mm wires,new GTII tires.
previous mods:K&N,underdrive pullies(march),Long tube equall length headers,hollow cats and 24" glass packs.
180 degreee stat.

I had the ehxauast flow tested,almost 0% back pressure. The truck has always shifted at 5500rpm,all mods were by previous owner except shift kit and wires and stat.
Help!
I held the rpm's@ 1500-1800 then let it romp. I did get alot of wheelspin. I was embbaressed by a 454ss running 14.50.
The truck seems to pull strong, never bogs down,and shifts very firm. I am at the end of my own expertise(not easy).
Do you think there could be a chip?(because of shift points? I have looked and cannot find one.
Any help much needed and appreciated.
By the way: there was a 99L--12.48@112!!!!
he had chip and 75hp nitrous.
Thanks.
Jason D.
#450 in '94
NLOC# on its way

Hey SVT450,
I ran last night myself. My mods consist of Flowmaster 2 chambers, ACCeL wires and cap/rotor. I'm not sure what to tell you man, except double check your mods and then maybe put it on a scanner. I ran 15.02@90.06 mph on GTII's..60' 2.09. Are you taking air out of the tires? if so try them with 32psi. They work great for me at standard psi. I also shift @ around 5200-5300. Hope you figure it out.
Jason
95 Red #225

First off, your 60 ft times can be lower and this will drop your overall ET..get some drag radials or traction bars or even the stock firestones back on. The mods you have shhould net you MID-HIGH 14's with a good 60 ft time:)

SIMPLY RED: great 60 ft time on the stock rubber..do you preload the chassis by powerbraking?...what rpm do you leave at and are the firestones new?>..mine are kinda worn so i drop the pressure to 15-20 psi for the best hook.:)

Sorry to say, but last year at WFC (Didnt get to the track much last year) I ran 14.9 on 255-50-17 HR rated BFG's. Mods were:
K&N cone
shift kit
pullies
14* timing
cat back exhaust.

This year at WFC (and the local tracks) things will be very different! No maore 14's for me!

Sorry to say, but last year at WFC (Didnt get to the track much last year) I ran 14.9 on 255-50-17 HR rated BFG's. Mods were:
K&N cone
shift kit
pullies
14* timing
cat back exhaust.

This year at WFC (and the local tracks) things will be very different! No maore 14's for me!

Have you cecked the simple things like TPS, timing, fuel psi, loose wires, vacuum leaks, checked the plugs, etc? If you were to drop your 60' to a 2.0 that should put you around 14.9-15.0.

FYI, 0 backpressure is not the way to power. We need some to scavenge the cylinders effectively. I haven't been to the track in my truck yet...but have been playing around with it on my dyno and am making 340 TQ with just a K&N, JBA shorties, and some "tweaking". Remember, if you can hook it up...TQ=ET. Later

Your culprit is your 60' time. With the mods you have listed, you should be in the 2.1 - 2.0 range which would have you running around 14.7 - 14.9 My mods include K&N cone, 1.7 Cobra's, "X-pipe", flows, and a crank pulley. My best time at Houston has been 14.56 with a 2.01 short time.
As far as the L2 running 12's, if it was black, it was probably the "Wyldman"

John

Dave,
I do a 3-4 sec powerbrake to clean the water/trash off them. They have bout 5000 miles on them and are GoodYear GT II's. The same tires Jason D. are running. I launch at around 1350-1400. They stick well for me and I am happy with that...no telling how they'll hold when I get the s-Trim and MAF conversion w/ 24lb injectors, custom exhaust, and running both fuel pumps :cool: I guess we shall see then. As for you Jason D. I was thinking about the 0 backpressure thing. I'm not sure bout our trucks, but alot of other vehicles need some backpressure to run correct when they are not under boost. Hope this all helps.
Jason N.
95 Red #225

hey guys,
check out my post with my first times with my Lightning. I'd like some feedback as to how that time is for what mods I have, seems like I should be faster. Im happy with it and all, but Ive seen faster times for fewer mods. Check it out, let me know.
thanks,
TommyP

Thanks fo the input. I need to build some backpressure,I guess. Maybe some good ol'flowmasters. Next 'Q': Do you all leave the tranny in drive, or shift it yourself? I've been leaving it in drive.Thanks.
jason

Just leave it in drive it will run the best.
Marcus Harrison

I'm sorry guys, but I think you're dead wrong about his problem being in his tires, traction, tire pressures, burnouts, etc. His problem is not at the short end of the track. Don't just look at the ET, look at the MPH. That's a far better indicator of how much power the truck is making.

86 MPH is pretty dang close to appropriate for a 15.5-15.6 ET.

My opinion is that something that has changed since the truck was running 88 MPH has cost some power (note the 2 MPH drop). I'd make sure the wires are on correctly, change the sparkplugs or at least check the gap, and be certain of the timing. While I agree with Kyle that that is probably too much exhaust for a nearly stock truck, since that was in place for the previous runs I think we can rule it out as the culprit.

Later!
Jeff S.

DROP YOUR TRANNY PAN IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!

My times dropped like this and I could not figure it out. I launched from an idle and from 2700 RPM's, no difference. Wires were good, plugs were good, no codes, etc...

When I dropped my pan I found tons of metal scraps! I am assuming my times were slowed by a slipping tranny and a bad torque converter. PI is building my new TC as we speak and tranny will be rebuilt next week. I will let you know if for sure that was problem.

I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and check the pan for signs of wear and to go ahead and replace the filter and fluid.

Kevin Lewis

Amen Kevin,
We BOTH Know How Frustrating and Performance Robbing Trannies Can Be. Let Me Know What You Find Along The Way Of Broken Parts. ( I Have Quite A Wall Of Shame From My Tranny )

Mike

Thanks Jeff.
I will pull the plugs tonight,and put in some new ones. They are due anyway.What is the best gap to use?Remember, the truck is mostly stock. The wires are new SVO 9mm but the coil is OEM(100K miles). I am going to do a fuel pressure check this weekend also.
The tranny is still shifting rather harshly at part throttle since I installed the B&M kit. I tried clearing the computer, but it still does is. It shifts at "normal" RPM's, just harsh.Even into OD. However, it shifts reletively smooth untill the truck gets warmed up.
Replace the solonoid packs???

Thanks,
Jason

I may have found part of the culprit to my bad times. I was cleaning out the truck and found an empty bottle of injector cleaner. I dumped the whole bottle into a half tank of gas instead of the octane booster!! D'OH!!
That probably didn't do me any good. Also, I missed posted my previous MPH, should have been 91MPH not 88.
JAson

Question: I'm redoing the exhaust. Should I scrap the long tubes(1 1/2"), put on the original headers, and add flowmasters?
OR, leave the long tubes and put flowmasters.
I hate the glasspack sound.Also is 3" too large for the exhaust? Remember, I most likely will not get a blower,but maybe a mild nitrous kit down the road.
I am just wondering if the longtubes are hurting low end pull.

Thanks,
Jason
NLOC #441

Jason, IMHO if you have the stock headers laying around then why worry with the bench racing? Slap 'em on and see what they do!

I personally think 3" dual exhaust is definitely too much for your setup. Given that I was making 600+ hp with dual 2.5" into a single 3" (Bassani), I think staying pretty close to dual 2.5" would be fine.

Later!
Jeff S.

Back