Bad Day Yesterday- Truck FIRE!

ASAP

Fore!
Was going home from yesterday after work (windows up and AC blasting due it being a hot 95° outside and all of a sudden I start smelling something burning. Stop at a red light and smoke starts coming out of the dash above the fuse box, then a flame. Was stuck in traffic at a red light with cars in front and behind me so I jumped out and started trying to blow the flame out to no avail. Light turned green and hauled ass to the nearest gas station(of course I parked well away from the pumps) and hopped out. Got a case of water and tried to douse it out. No good. Guy comes up with a fire extinguisher and puts it out for me. So here’s the damage in pics below. Not sure where to go from here. Not really interested in replacing dash and wiring so may either part out or sell it.. Have to wait on the insurance company to see what they will do and go from there. Ought to be interesting..

0be3d4c65582d76a080e903b651db890.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, very sorry to hear. it can be fixed for sure. Dont part it out.

have you added anything electrical under there recently?

Damn, very sorry to hear. it can be fixed for sure. Dont part it out.

have you added anything electrical under there recently?

Thanks bro! I changed up the pillar gauges back in January but they are fused. Everything else has been there since 2020 or so.

I have a dash. I have been toting it around too long. If your going to rebuid let me know.

Or if your going to sell let me know too.

That really sucks Dave. I’m assuming since you were able to drive it to the gas station it was something in the chassis wiring not the power train wiring through the PimpXShift.

I am so sorry!!! Take some time and just leave it be, then come back and assess. Again so sorry this happened!!!

That really sucks Dave. I’m assuming since you were able to drive it to the gas station it was something in the chassis wiring not the power train wiring through the PimpXShift.

Thanks Jamie! Yea it was running just fine. No damage at all under the hood.

I am so sorry!!! Take some time and just leave it be, then come back and assess. Again so sorry this happened!!!

Thanks Ray! Yea that’s kind of the mode I’m in now. I’ve had the truck for 20 years so don’t want to make a hasty decision.

I understand this type of incident can happen especially with old and modified vehicles and hate to use this as learning experience. I wanted to share how i have my fire extinguisher mounted so maybe we can all add one to our trucks moving forward. I mean no disrespect at all with this post.

I removed the factory push clip that holds the carpet down and ran a 3/8-16 tape thru the existing hole. I had to modify the plastic bracket slightly to accept the large 3/8 head of the bolt. it uses just one bolt, would require getting out and tilting or sliding the seat.
MIBjrcml.jpg

PkiJO8El.jpg

giW7yIMl.jpg

I understand this type of incident can happen especially with old and modified vehicles and hate to use this as learning experience. I wanted to share how i have my fire extinguisher mounted so maybe we can all add one to our trucks moving forward. I mean no disrespect at all with this post.

I removed the factory push clip that holds the carpet down and ran a 3/8-16 tape thru the existing hole. I had to modify the plastic bracket slightly to accept the large 3/8 head of the bolt. it uses just one bolt, would require getting out and tilting or sliding the seat.
MIBjrcml.jpg

PkiJO8El.jpg

giW7yIMl.jpg
I like how you did that, beats my just having the extinguisher behind the seat in the holder to keep it from rolling around.

Ah man, I feel for you. I’m now walking out to put an extra fire extinguisher in the bed area of my truck. Keep updating with what you find.

MIBjrcml.jpg

PkiJO8El.jpg

giW7yIMl.jpg

Thanks for sharing that! I will dang sure have one mounted in mine going forward. It would have burnt to the ground had a not driven it (flaming) to the store where I could get help. Fire truck response was about 10 mins. It would have all been over but then..

Back