Anybody take there Lightning out this week?

99BLKBOLT

Got to drive mine all this week. What a ride improvement over my chevrolet slobolt. Only went through about $20 in gas for driving about 100 miles. Not too bad as I think it's getting about 13 mpg. Anyone else take there's out this week with the better weather?

I started and moved mine two weeks ago. I had to move it to get the motorcycle out. ;-) I have the driving part of the insurance in suspension for the winter. Probably reinstate that next week. She's due for an emissions test and plates at the end of April, so I'll need to drive it around for a few days before that. I don't know if you are on facebook, but a bunch of us old ILLNESS folks are friending each other on there.

I leave next Wednesday to Georgia to pick mine up bought it couple months ago my brother look at it and pick it up for me so I can't wate to get it back to Illinois start driving it

My truck has year long insurance on it. I got sick of calling it in and then getting raped(State Farm) when it was insured. My buddies brother owns his own Agency so I went with him and he matched my insurance to what State Farm was charging me and I get year round coverage and don't have to call in to suspend it and then call if I want to take it out.

Well, I guess 15 miles of driving (after reconnecting the battery) isn't enough to pass the emissions test. :hh::pat:

Test showed lots of sensors "not supported". Haven't changed anything since the last test two years ago. My own fault. It was a stupid idea to try so soon, but I haven't had much time to get the truck out. I'm going to put a few hundred miles on her before I try again. Bad thing is... if I fail a second test I have to have a mechanic sign off for a third test.

Just wasn't long enough for all the sensor to go through their checks... Drive it for a day or two and then take it back and it'll pass as long as no check engine light is on... That after 2 times thing is a joke... It makes people who don't have money almost have to use someone from there list who will rip them off...

I'm only up to 150 miles so far. Weather has been funky.
I spent so much time cleaning the underside last fall, I'd hate to take it out in the rain if I don't need to.
Using it today and had planned to drive it another 100 miles on Saturday (but now they're calling for rain).
Haven't changed anything on truck's setup in six years (never had any check engine lights) it's passed the test at least twice since then. Just went too soon this time.
Might just give it a shot tomorrow as I've only got a week till the plates expire. Can't renew plates without passing.
Anybody know if I can check sensor readiness with the Xcal 2?

Emiss.jpg Arrrggggg!!!!!! Failed again! They claim it's because the system monitors read "not supported". But they also read that in 2011 and 2013. The only difference is at the top under results. That "monitors" box said "ready" on the older tests and this year it says "cat & O2 not supported". I don't know if they changed something in the testing parameters, or if at 160 miles it's still not ready.

Well.... after a little research, it appears that they have changed how they do the testing and we are screwed! Sounds like I might need to put the stock tune back in and probably the stock maf so it will run. I'm not sure about the high-flow cats etc.

Last edited:
That sucks... If they passed it in 2013 and you did nothing to it it should of passed in 2015... Sounds like they want to make it so it doesn't pass and you trade it in for something newer and more fuel efficient... Good luck... I still haven't seen anything on mine for testing...

What I'm reading so far is... the change in testing will be nationwide. It happened a few years ago in some other states. Illinois went to the new test sometime last year. Lots of threads (on other forums) with people freaking out because they were failing (especially if the cars were daily drivers)! The vehicles fail because of sensors being turned off in the tune. Sounds like the tuners might have found some workarounds, but they can't be discussed on the internet? I left a message with our guy and the guy in St Charles looking for guidance. Luckily I kept the original cats, and if that's all I need to put back on I'm ok with that. Just don't have time to deal with this crap at the moment, I've only put 2000 miles on the truck in the past four years. I was thinking about selling it but now I can't do that because of the failed test.

Back