1995 F150 302 Tune Up

pwgood1

Long time since last post considering I sold my 93 L about three years ago. Decided to get a 1995 F150 XLT LWB instead. Sentimental reasons and definitely not as fun to drive.

Said 1995 302 has done very few miles since I've had it. Did a few months of DD just after I got it but used only for the occasional home improvement store or dump run since then.

I think I'm about to finally start digging into the truck. Pretty sure it needs a fuel pressure regulator and I'm going to do cooling system refresh just because that's what I always do to any high mileage vehicle I come in possession of. This one has 175k+.

My question is...what would you consider requirements to do for a "complete tune-up" on this truck/engine?

I know the typical...spark plugs, wires, probably distributor cap & rotor, perhaps fuel filter.

If I wanted to be quite thorough, what else may I consider? Any sensors make sense to change or just wait until there are symptoms?

Long time since last post considering I sold my 93 L about three years ago. Decided to get a 1995 F150 XLT LWB instead. Sentimental reasons and definitely not as fun to drive.

Said 1995 302 has done very few miles since I've had it. Did a few months of DD just after I got it but used only for the occasional home improvement store or dump run since then.

I think I'm about to finally start digging into the truck. Pretty sure it needs a fuel pressure regulator and I'm going to do cooling system refresh just because that's what I always do to any high mileage vehicle I come in possession of. This one has 175k+.

My question is...what would you consider requirements to do for a "complete tune-up" on this truck/engine?

I know the typical...spark plugs, wires, probably distributor cap & rotor, perhaps fuel filter.

If I wanted to be quite thorough, what else may I consider? Any sensors make sense to change or just wait until there are symptoms?

I bought my f150 with 153k and put another 200k on the original 302 and e4od. Not many parts were replaced in that period. I’d do the basics and that’s it. Replace other parts as needed. I still have the same radiator and heater hoses from 96 lol. Main thing that broke on me twice is the belt tensioner and that’s a bummer bc it leaves you stranded

Air filter, flush the radiator, oil change, and transmission fluid change. For other - the temp, TPS, and the IAC.

Good to know that a “tune up” on these doesn’t need it be a $1000 in parts and week of evenings after work under the hood.

I’ve already flushed the radiator and a new thermostat as bandaid/insurance until I can do new radiator, hoses, fan clutch, pulleys, and belts. Like I said, cooling overhaul is just kinda what I do when I get a used car. Did it on my 2003 525i and my wife’s 2007 Armada, so I’ll do it on this one. I’m undecided on water pump as part of that job. Seems I hear that the OE water pumps on these are in it for the long haul. Plus I’m always afraid of breaking bolts on these OBS water pumps.

Air filter, oil change are given and have been done multiple times. TPS, IAC, coolant temp sensor, trans fluid spill and fill, diff fluid, and aforementioned items (plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, FPR) and it sounds like I should have it all covered pretty extensively. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Your owners manual provides a pretty good run-down of what needs to be serviced and at what interval.

Back