which headers to go with

T

txroadrage

i'm wanting to add headers to my 351 but am not sure which ones to go with.short or full length,which brand bassani etc.i am also getting the high flow cats but am not sure which way i'm going on that either.i now have just straight 3" pipes from my cats to my side exit supertrapps.would appreciate any input from all. thanks

Im not an expert on these yet, as I havent installed them. But I just got my Bassani headers in this week, they look great, all there products do. No one has ever complained about fit either. Im still waiting for an X-pipe. I can comment more as I finish my motor and get the exhasut installed, but just looking at them, I say go with Bassani.

Longtubes are non-existant if you want an "off-the-shelf" header. Well, I shouldn't say that because I believe Hooker makes a longtube with 1-1/2" primaries (yuck) for '80-'95 F150s that fit, but I am personally leery of their quality. It's a "cheap" header if you know what I mean, and a bit undersized IMHO. Your only real option for a longtube is to have something built, which is gonna cost some bucks. I have a set that was custom built for my truck, but I've not yet installed them. Should have 'em on within the next two months or so, and I'll post the results...

Moral: if you want an easy bolt-on, many of the shorties out there are just fine. But if you absolutely have to have a longtube, then you'll probably need to go with a custom header.

Hope that helps.

- Kevin

I have full length headers on my 94.It is mostly stock except for the usual add ons. Are the full length more for high end power?
I've always thought the shorty's were made for low end torque.I am trying to decide if I should put the stock ones back on.
Jason
#450-'94
NLOC# coming

I have JBAs on my truck...they are unequal and did make a considerable difference in my torque numbers. I went from 297 to 331 at the wheels...but lost some HP. They fit well and look nice...best of all they were extremely reasonable in price. Bought them off of this classified page, probably wouldn't have paid the "new" price for them.

tx i used the hooker equal 1 5/8 they were a easy fix there was one back bolt on the pass side of the truck that took the longest other wise the headers were 265 came with gaskets and bolts i bought other gaskets.

On a stock to mostly stock truck, the factory headers work just fine. There's horsies to be found in the factory cat pipe and mufflers, but not anything appreciable in the headers.

I also agree with the thoughts that long tubes aren't worthwhile on anything not making decent RPMs and wanting power over a narrow, tuned ban. There's also plenty of discussion of unequal versus equal length shorties. To me, the argument that the unequals will make more torque over a broader range makes perfect sense because of the way the pulse scavenging will be effected.

All that said, I've been perfectly happy with the Bassani shorties on my truck. I wouldn't wish the SVO/FRPP shorties on my worst enemy - Closest I've ever come to taking a torch to anything out of frustration. They simply aren't made to work on the Lightning with the tranny dipstick tube and thermactor air system both impinging on access to the rearmost bolt.

Later!
Jeff S.

Jason,

What headers are you running on your truck? I went everywhere looking for longtubes but could only find the Hooker ones as a direct bolt-on...

- Kevin

Kevin,
The headers were on the truck when I bought it so I have no clue what kind they are. I measured them and the primaries are 1 1/2" with 3"collectors. It may be those Hookers you talked about earlier.

Jason

Back