traction bars 101

Rock:

I have not installed mine, but the "poles" are some where in the neighborhood of 4' or better. Everything I read is these stop wheel hop.

Rock:

I have not installed mine, but the "poles" are some where in the neighborhood of 4' or better. Everything I read is these stop wheel hop.

With them will it cause any issues? How do i know what angle to mount them? I know this is a noob question but i assume it would be mounted above the axle.. How far is the clearance? does it bend over bumps? I have never installed them so IDK, if i need to start my own thread i will... Just let me know

Just search under the regular Gen 1 section, under "Long bars" or traction bars, plenty of reading for a while. They are fine for any kind of use, as they pivot at both ends.

No, the traction long bars we use are nothing like anything that came factory on a ranger or exploder. They are all aftermarket.

But after seeing the pics of the bars that are bolted to the top of the spring pack over the axle and then bolted forward from there to the frame, wouldn't you gain the same effect by just adapting the exploders bars? Those bars should help control axle wrap.

Jamesd Duff Bars aint Chit!!!!

this is the Ultimate in wheel hop control!!!!!!!!!!

ELD_Quad_Shock.jpg

can we please get some more info on this? does anyone make a setup like this or was it a custom deal?

But after seeing the pics of the bars that are bolted to the top of the spring pack over the axle and then bolted forward from there to the frame, wouldn't you gain the same effect by just adapting the exploders bars? Those bars should help control axle wrap.

Ah, you're talking about the James Duff style bars. Only a few guys run those here. Not including me, so I can't speak for them. Most of us here (including me) run the under-axle long bars. The James Duff kind will help with wheel hop, but not weight transfer and planting the tires. Long bars, IMHO, do. :cool:

I'm going to make my own long bars with parts from Speedway Motors (hotrod and round round speed shop). they sell chormoly or mild steel "tie-rods" built to order in terms of length and have every chassis tab imaginable. It looks to be way less than a hundred bucks.

question is, how long are most long-bar setups and what tube/rod end size?

Thanks..

I'm going to make my own long bars with parts from Speedway Motors (hotrod and round round speed shop). they sell chormoly or mild steel "tie-rods" built to order in terms of length and have every chassis tab imaginable. It looks to be way less than a hundred bucks.

question is, how long are most long-bar setups and what tube/rod end size?

Thanks..

I used 3/4 - 16 Heim joints on the axle end, and poly bushings and sleeves on the chassis end. Most bars end up IIRC around 56"-60" long. I wanted mine to land on the "kickup" part of the frame rail for lift/transfer IMHO. If you search under my name in the Gen1 section you should find my build thread.

Hey Coop,I know this is an older post,but did you ever recieve any info
for this type of traction control setup? On the Mustangs rear axle is
the same type of "kicker shock" setup. Just wondering if anybody found
Any info about this.

Hey Coop,I know this is an older post,but did you ever recieve any info
for this type of traction control setup? On the Mustangs rear axle is
the same type of "kicker shock" setup. Just wondering if anybody found
Any info about this.

no i didn't, i was kindof disappointed :no:. But you are right, the mustangs do have a similar setup.

Yup all the fox body's for sure use the quad shocks. We had to flip em if we wanted to run them with a tire bigger than 255. You could eliminate them once you upgraded to u/l control arms.

Well H~ll, that sucks... Thanks Coop and Rusty and Jamie for the reply and info
I just Really don't like the look of the LFP bars or any of the "long bars" that
hang down so far,I understand that they work and stop wheel hop,I just feel
that a quad shock setup on top of the springs would be effective enough for
a street driven truck with sticky tires. I just wish somebody had a better pic.
of that spring pack bracket.

i just took my sleep time to read all the posts.lol.and even after reading im still sorta lost..i like the way that you guys are so passionate about your trucks.

im not a Lightning owner but i do happen to have 2 ford f150s one that i am currently making a lightning clone 5speed manual.

now if i could have someone help me out..im in the process of working on my suspension im getting new bushings and i will be going with the djm 3/5 drop..which means flip kit in the rear...my question is

what bars do i go with that will help my wheel hop?

thanks

btw...i posted before but i guess i was never checked by mods or anything so wasn't able to show my truck..sorry

Well H~ll, that sucks... Thanks Coop and Rusty and Jamie for the reply and info
I just Really don't like the look of the LFP bars or any of the "long bars" that
hang down so far,I understand that they work and stop wheel hop,I just feel
that a quad shock setup on top of the springs would be effective enough for
a street driven truck with sticky tires. I just wish somebody had a better pic.
of that spring pack bracket.

Check into the James duff bars.....they may be just what your looking for

how about those lakewoods??

i didnt see any explination about those.. are those good?? do they work?? i have them they cured my wheel hop but now i got a bigger engine i dont know what it will do for traction

i can feel the rear end "raise" when i shift

Back