Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

FMOS Racing

PSI=:-D
I Support the NLOC
Since the thing now is having a build thread, I'm going to keep posting the improvements and changes I make here rather than starting new threads.

My most recent string of changes was somewhat documented starting here:
https://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showth...Plans-Thread?p=2183165&viewfull=1#post2183165

A month ago I decided to improve my fuel system. While this is a bit awkwardly mounted due to removing the tow hitch and changing to a tube bumper, it's where I started. It's an old Cartech Renegade pump setup that uses Pierburg high pressure pumps. The advantage to these at the time is that they would maintain their flow rates at higher than usual fuel pressures, which made them a good choice for boosted applications. Still only 255 lph at 70 psi each, so marginal for my combo. I'd cratered a piston when I'd changed ECUs and neglected to properly setup the secondary pump. They've been on my truck since ~2006.

y4mcT7R13yAVHMEZM853T_1hE-wEZWdwQclTPXjDy5G9_BMhsIkVSlpXYyiFBsfv7vc4pbmdVAoFwieF6xLcLUkJJNcOT6sDtGLBomIz-AUYq7w1fwDDJdegkirasxfi9R6HqVIf6ueYEbYipJ8Dt_rzsHrlZuTuy-nE0Nz8an81gx7Yd6YDSUsPCjKf4v5-wYSJVYWGjysmWZPuUXK65VWLw

So, I decided to get a bit more modern and have at least as much pump as I do injector, so I put together my own combo with twin Deatschwerks 350il inline pumps and Fore on-pump check valves. I used a Chinese "Y" to bring the pump output together and it's leaking at the fittings. I'm going to try some conical seals to see if that will get them to stop before changing over to the more expensive Made in America version that I didn't know existed when I ordered the Chinese part.

y4mfKfn2KqBp-3yqsGyFC8eEjO5AI9IpmOHjthrFs6FnJKqTSkuUdmIFIvPEg16uEGPpkaTy9NoIIcLejjXeXZ-xOnT4O4fvlGjI5hdahPgOkHD9vb0w8oMXxpilV2Ib-alO_fMmyFNakuPXKpqWDfSY7zpMP3nE0zoJBNbunM6iQdK3U3pwm44nLMaz4W9LLfDNPpjbPrgNbCSZi47q6eYQQ

Replaced the fittings at the tank with full-flow 90s and changed over to black hose purely for cosmetic purposes since most of this is somewhat visible behind the tube bumper.

y4mBndpX4AF4Ayf-I9xslTD3mLYsHxgMkR-sW5XaF1eSFTrtaTkoFM1HkJHUqrj45SzTDbOH_TiGiLZF_iGw0ny0J7RO_cE7az6YT73hZiSqJyRc5j6zEvaawz959Mc7APwMmsQdXmODmkal34S0KOxGIy7iuTuLqYERex4ixXaBNYrUw8uX89iwksoNXV3N248W8vOnFsXT0XC7kiseGH1gQ

I'll pull the tank and paint it this winter, or maybe switch to a Matt Hill sumped tank to have a little bigger fitting at the tank.

Last edited:
keep the information flowing. your always giving advice to everybody, be nice to see your build first hand. keep it updated

Spookfest, but I won't be running it hard this year. I'm supposing lower half of the 11s. I'm enjoying having it back too much to risk wounding it right now.

I think having to hire childcare for the fall is going to deal a serious blow to my intentions for this next winter's mods, so it may be a little bit before I have it to a point where I can start to twist it up.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

This makes me happy. I like build threads. Even if it’s slow it’s really cool to binge on them later, and wait for updates! It puts a lot of knowledge in one place to be used by others. That’s valuable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spookfest, but I won't be running it hard this year. I'm supposing lower half of the 11s. I'm enjoying having it back too much to risk wounding it right now.

I think having to hire childcare for the fall is going to deal a serious blow to my intentions for this next winter's mods, so it may be a little bit before I have it to a point where I can start to twist it up.

I know how that feels! Got a 3 year old and 18 month old in daycare right now. Got a new baby coming this December. Like a mortgage payment every month in daycare!

We’ve all been there. My wife stayed home to care for my 3 girls because it wasn’t worth her working 40 hours a week for $100 after daycare.

We’ve all been there. My wife stayed home to care for my 3 girls because it wasn’t worth her working 40 hours a week for $100 after daycare.

My sister actually loses about $100 a week after daycare. She thinks it will pay later but not right now.

I was very lucky. Doing what I do my son was able to be with me 24/7

He helps. Learns. And I know who's around him

Way to many sickos these days. My main concern

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I installed the conical seals between the check valves and the "Y" this past weekend, so no more leaks. Drove the truck around quite a bit, worked on the tune a bit, and generally enjoyed the life of a Lightning owner.

I moved the rear wheels out another quarter inch (so a total half inch now) and really low the way the start to fill out the fenders. I'm thinking 3/4" total would be fantastic with the stock wheels and really square the way the wheels look in the openings.

Definitely much lighter than stock.

It's setup for full bolt-on, including the stock springs, but based on my experience with a Cervinis hood and the springs, I think I'm going to order a gas strut kit for it.

y4murUw959KQxaDM-aIzAtMj-ApP6Ym8Lt1QR9UvUbPWQfNjE0V4bQTeoRGCs-FWWfoHLrZoRWXj6TwE_3yKb4urz1wVszW2xR4V8_OHYfZM_3xstEHd6PJM57xr_WsK0Rh8mDOA_MzOMc2y24pJmxf5_vhopGhZUVsOamyBuR6OMVsljEDWA5_dTJocF0-BqF29SI2TP3Jnn_7-Wbfj1q61g

Jeff can you post a picture of the bottom side of the hood? Does it have mesh in the back of the cowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

It doesn't but I intend to add a vent. I put it on the truck Saturday, but it has to be trimmed to fit. So, I had to take it back off until I can get into a body shop.

That engine bay is looking nice!

Thanks for the underside of hood picture.

That underside has more of a stock hood look than some of the others. That’s probably how they get the strength without the weight??Compared to like a Cervini that has a slicker bottom but weighs nearly the same as a stock hood??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back on the road for two years today after a more or less 9 year break (I had gotten it running again during that layoff, but almost immediately melted a piston).

So glad to have it again. I've been out celebrating by driving the paint off of it today.

Back