Steering, Suspension and Rearend

• Thread starter Rocket Scientist
  • Start date
R

Rocket Scientist

General Questions:
1) Steering - my 93 has 1 full inch of steering wheel travel prior to wheel movement. Of course, Dealer says its normal on F-150's. I am assuming all F-150's have the same steering system, Q: Is this 1 inch of travel common? Can it be corrected? Will any F-150 interchange - what years? Going from the Truck to the Mustang takes 30 minutes to stay on the road with the slop.
2) I have been told the 93 had a problem with front torsion bar bushings. The Passenger side bar has what appears to be a Heat Shield? Told they where too soft and too close to the exhaust - T or F?
3) Noticed rearend has slack in it, is this common and how do we upgrade? Same as the Mustang? Does Auburn make a unit?
Thanks Guys

1) Not normal and not good. Something is wearing out. The Lightning has a rather unique steering arrangement, using a regular F-150 power assist and gear box with a 4x4 Pitman arm to improve response.

2) All L1's (Gen 1 Lightnings - I like that nomenclature) and even regular F-150s have the problem with the passenger side bushing melting. Even with the heat shield, the bushing is simply too close to the cats. Nice thing about the Bassani X-pipe w/cats is that it moves the converters away from the bushing.

3) What kind of slack? Not much back there to upgrade. It's really a pretty good piece for a LSD.

Later!
Jeff S.

I thought I was the only one with that problem.Im glad my truck is not the only one. I replaced both with polyeurathane bushings and it made steering tight again.

Thanks guys!
Slack is in the rear, noticeable when you let off the gas abrutly. Probably the four small drive gears, I'll know more once I'm inside.
I will take a look at the steering for worn components... that is actually good news since I hate the way it is now. Bushings in torsion bars could be contributing... especially since it hops all over the place during hard braking. The things we put up with for the love of our vehicles... like marriage, and the money we spent to keep them happy.

Over the years I have spent a lot of time and money finding that often front wheel hop on braking with an F150 is the passenger side tie rod end. Have turned a number of rotors because it feels like rotor is out of round.

Later,
jerry

Jerry,

What's the solution? Replacing the tie rod?

Later!
Jeff S.

Yes - replace tie rod end. Everything else has always been in good shape.

Back