Speed O bounce O

J

John893

Does anyone's speed O bounce over 75mph? I am getting a new speed O soon but just curious if anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

John

John,
The problem may not be in the speedometer, most likely it's in the sensor that reads the exciter ring in the rear end. The sensor is on top of the rear end towards the front. I'm not sure how much it costs from Ford, but it's a whole heck of a lot easier to replace than the speedometer. Something you should check out before tearing into the dash.

Good luck!
Trace ;o)

John,

Ditto what Trace said. Usually it'll be the sensor is shot or crudded up (sometimes due material worn from the differential - been there, done that!), or the connection to the sensor could be bad. Try some dielectric grease on the contacts of the sensor after cleaning the pins.

On the speedo thing - if you do replace it, would you be keeping the old one? If so, I'd be interested in purchasing it from you if you wanted to part with it. My Dad would like the 120mph unit for his standard '95 F150...

- Kevin

Speaking of replacing or cleaning that sensor.

A few months ago when Jeff grenaded his rear end, he ended up having to buy a new sensor. From day one, that thing caused the speedometer to jump at around 70. We swapped his out with the old one from my truck and now MY speedometer jumps around.
You should see how crazy that thing gets the faster I go.

John, I'm guessing it's time you changed the fluid in the rear end anyway It's a good chance to inspect everything and possibly prevent the typical F-150 rear end dilemma a lot of us have encountered.
You don't have to dump the fluid to remove the sensor, but if the magnet is garbaged up, you should go ahead and pull the cover off.

Trace ;o)

My rear end fluid gets changed ever 5K and I think that has happened for the last 15K miles. The person before me had a drain plug put into the rear end. Mine is the same way with the faster I go the more it jumps. If I do like 80-85 my speed O jumps any where from 70-90. It is funny to watch buy my cruise control does not like it. I will take a look at the sensor on the rear end and see if maybe is has some dirt on it.

The speed O is being replaced under warranty so I don’t know if Ford is going to keep the one they take out of if they will give it too me. But if they do give it too me I will let you know.

Thanks

John

My speedo in my 93 was acting nutty, too. When I shattered the spider gears, I should have replaced the ring gear, too. After replacing the sensor, nothing has changed. I have since looked at the ring gear and can surely see some wear on the teeth from all of the metal that flew around when I destoyed the spiders. And of course, cruise control does not care to be set now, it really flips out the truck!

No new info here, just a me too, me too.

Kevin Lewis

Back