not quite right...

T

timack

Hello all

My truck has developed a slight "surging" while cold...goes away when warm.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome...

Where is the PCV?

56,000 miles, few mods.

Thanks.

Tim Acker, Omaha, NE
White '94 #2659
NLOC #221

PCV should be at the very back of the manifold in the middle

c'mon people.

I really need some more help here...

Thanks to White2K

I beleive that white2K did answer the question in your post. If you are looking for suggestions can you provide us with more detail about your situation?

Sorry if I'm not too clear here...trying to be brief is probably not the best way to approach this problem.

Please allow me to try again:

My '94 Lightning is "surging" during warm-up; not a "miss-fire" situation, more like a fuel flow problem. White2k tells me where the PCV valve is, (and I thank you for the reply) but he really didn't say he thought that would solve the problem. White 2K, do you think the PCV is my problem, or could it be something else? Everything is fine after it's warm.

I've been watching the list's for quite a while now, but rarely post. I very much appreciate all the info I've gained from all of you, and did not mean to come across as a butt-head. I'm not the greatest shadetree mechanic, and I'm frustrated here.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions here, on or off list.

Tim

1. http://nloc.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000161.html

check the "Not Quite Right" postings - similar sounding.

2. Get a copy of Charles Probst book on Ford Fuel Injection and EEC. It's 35 bucks for a priceless peer into the magic ball that Ford calls EEC.

I've had a couple of older Fords do this - my 88 they put a new EGR on and I still had surge but not as bad. Cleaning the ISC (Thingy on side of Throttle body) checking the timing, making sure no vacuum leaks and making sure the EGR works right are the biggest culprits.

Thanks, White2k

I found the PCV (quite a reach back in there!) It felt like the grommet popped down in to the hole a bit when I pushed on it, might have worked out a bit; plan to put new valve and grommet in there real soon. And, the connection to the vacuum res. can was a bit loose.

Must have been one of the two, cause it ran fine this morning!

I really appreciate the help!!

Tim

There's some good news! Thanks for letting us know, sorry for posting the wrong topic in my last mail.

Hey, here's one more question, are you using the same gas station that you were? just curious cuz I've had some of mine run like hammered dog poo from some batches of gas, and recover after a tank or two.

I always use Amoco Ultimate, 92, I think.

I get it at the same place every time, unless I'm out of town. I have not done that in quite a while...

Later. Tim

I've found out that the brand doesn't matter as much as the age of the gas station. I use either The gas on base, (new above ground tanks) or the Racetrac down from my house. (only 6 months old) its the really old looking gas stations that i stay away from.
Jason N.
95 Red #225

My truck has the same surging as Timack has discribed. I have not been able to find the PCV valve. Where exactly is it? Also, I was told that it was probably the air idler control and that it should just be cleaned. Since my truck is doing just like Timack's I figured I would ask you pros before I dug in.

appriciate it!
Sam

Back