new guy here

420windsorstang

The 8 Sec Club
What's up everyone?
I frequent stangnet pretty often and have been interested in Lightnings for a long time. I figured a Gen 1 would be a great tow vehicle for my race car. I want to learn as much about Lightning's as I can before I go out and try and buy one. The Gen 1's are hard to find as I'm looking for one with relatively low miles, preferably stock or close to stock. So I figured this would be a great research tool to learn about them, how they respond to mods and such. I've currently got two Mustang's, a 2000 that's a daily driver and a 1989 LX drag car. The LX has a 420 Windsor with a 950 Holley, Super Vic intake, and hog ported trick flows. It made 525 rwhp on motor and has never been dyno'd on Nitrous. I will be adding the new ZEX perimiter plate kit soon and am looking to run some really low 9's or high 8's. The motor is pump gas friendly 10.5:1 compression and the car weighs 2700 lbs. But enough about that, I really like how understated the 1st gen's look, and would like to do the usual bolt-on's to it like a Mustang. Are there any pro's and con's to each individual year? From what I have read the first year for them was 1993 and last year for first gen body's was 1995? Am I also correct in thinking that they only came in white,black and red? Any help or info you guys could give me would be great. Thanks alot.

Eric

Welcome Eric,

you sure picked the best mellowed out place to be on the net.
Check out the Gen 1 trucks for sale, i'm sure you will find something.
Beautiful colloections of cars you have there.

Try this thread for some extensive reading...

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=67444

Especially this one...

http://www.thebaskins.com/faq.htm

A couple of basic bits of info: '93 does not have clearcoat paint, '94 & '95 do. White is the lowest production color for the Gen 1 years, '95 would be considered the best as it received all the updates and upgrades from Ford for the production run. The '95 came with the center seat standard, it was an option for '94 and as far as I know, no '93s came with the center seat, only the center console.

Their's a few thoughts for ya. Reading the above links will "learn ya" a bunch more. I'll just bet more will chime in now....

Scott

wow, that's some good info. the more i read about the lightning's the more i want one. the new issue of ford performance trucks has got a sweet white L with a 438 windsor and a big old 871 blower popping out of the hood. i don't care who u are or what u drive, it just looks soooo mean. any thing anyone else can chime in with would be awesome, i will do some searching on here to, so i'm not asking all the same questions as everyone else. thanks alot.

ya mean this one ?

FPT_mag.jpg

Pics can't be posted in this particular forum for some reason but the link will get ya to the pic.

Anyway, that's 383svt here on NLOC. If you have a question do a search first as it's probably been asked before, many times most likely. If ya can't find the answer you seek pop in to the Gen 1 forum and ask. You'll get answers. You have found the BEST website for Lightnings, especially Gen 1's. All other Ford truck and engine sites include Lightnings in a forum but this is the only one that is devoted to Lightnings only. Be careful now...these 'ol trucks can grow on ya ! We've three of them now, a Gen 2 and two Gen1's.

You're welcome to have a look at the Gallerys, that's where all the pics are housed of member trucks. Click on Gallery, then member gallery and look for 383svt. He has lots of pics of his supercharged truck. Havin' a blower stickin' thru the hood is VERY impressive ! You'll find though, most use a centrifugal
blower on the Gen 1's.

Scott

Back