My Mom's 1986 Ford Crown Victoria

I also realized that I need to reconfigure the starter solenoid back to the original configuration. I'm going to eliminate the signal/ignition wire to the solenoid and put the jumper in its place. The more I look at the other wiring diagrams; the more I'm thinking that's the way the Powermaster starters are configured.

I took last Friday off to use up the sick days I didn't take this year. So I used that day to run errands and get a couple things done. Replaced the heater blower fan and blower resistor module in my Grand Marquis. Whilst getting those parts, I got another tarp for the Crown Vic, since the top layer/tarp (3 layers of tarp) was coming apart. I peeled all of the tarp off to put the new one underneath them. I discovered that some vermin chewed up a small section of the 3rd layer and used it to make a small nest under the windshield. So I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and cleaned all of that up. I figured since I done that, might as well clean whole cowl and some of the engine compartment. Then for whatever reason, I started pulling plugs and inspecting all the wires. I found a few plugs had some gel form on the electrodes. I have no idea what it is. It looks like vaseline. Does WD-40 gelatinize? That's the only thing I can think of.

I would post pics, but my files are invalid now for whatever reasons.

The other end of the plug that resides in the combustion chamber. I have no clue what it is and how it got on the electrodes. When it gets closer to another 1st fire attempt; I will clean all of the plugs off.

Perhaps that's what it is. I know for my first 1st-start attempt, the fuel pump activated and I got a click from the starter before everything shutdown. Maybe the injectors did their thing and that gas just sat in the combustion chamber. In any event, I will wipe them down and spray the electrodes with gum cutter before I try another 1st-start attempt.

I did a little work on the Crown Vic over the weekend. I was only going to replace one of the tarps that deteriorated. I ended up replacing one of the bottom tarps as well, as a rodent of some sort chewed through a section. With all the sunlight and all of the tarps pulled back; I looked at the engine and decided to rewire the starter. I took the old signal wire off and cut off the spade terminal. I took another (unused) wire that had a ring terminal and soldered it to the small section of signal wire that I had just cut. This is my jumper wire between the battery+ and the ignition lug on the starter. Not much work, but it gave me a little bit of motivation to start working on that car again. I have to turn the engine over next weekend. I hope it has not seized since the last 1st start attempt. It should still have trans fluid in the cylinders though.
IMG_2013.jpg

Back