Info needed on stock 1993 L torque converter

tim l

I’m looking for a stock spec torque converter, nothing fancy. The last 10 years haven‘t been too kind to me, so while I’d love to get a PI or Circle D they are both out of the que$tion. Will one for a standard 2 wd 5.8 F150 work, or is a higher stall converter required?

Thanks

Tim

There is a higher factory stall that works, I think it is from a Expedition. These trucks really like more stall, I'd use the higher factory stall.

Navigator converter, use the search function and see if you can find some info. Guys use to use them years ago for a cheap performance bump.

I recently purchased and installed that navigator converter in my lightning , if your interested I believe the part number was 1L7Z-7902-BBRM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got it off a ford wholesale parts dealer on eBay for $175 and it’s got a $50 dollar core charge, so it would have actually been $125 bucks, but I kept my old converter instead of shipping it back, just in case I ever find a use for it or someone on here who may need one, one day.

I got it off a ford wholesale parts dealer on eBay for $175 and it’s got a $50 dollar core charge, so it would have actually been $125 bucks, but I kept my old converter instead of shipping it back, just in case I ever find a use for it or someone on here who may need one, one day.

Hello Mavguy92, Sorry for bumping up an old threat. I wanted to see some real world experiences on the navigator converter; since I see you mention, you installed it.

There was only part number mention but nobody really talks about if they were happy with their converter purchase. I would assume, the navigator converter was the best bang for your buck as it is close to factory stall but a little looser which is good for heavy trucks. Any insight or feedback would be great!

Hello Mavguy92, Sorry for bumping up an old threat. I wanted to see some real world experiences on the navigator converter; since I see you mention, you installed it.

There was only part number mention but nobody really talks about if they were happy with their converter purchase. I would assume, the navigator converter was the best bang for your buck as it is close to factory stall but a little looser which is good for heavy trucks. Any insight or feedback would be great!

Yes, I’m very happy with it, I feel like it gave me exactly what I was looking for a budget converter that feels much better than stock but not too loose where it takes some of the joy out of cruising around town. I don’t have anything negative to say, I’m sure it’s not the same performance as say a circle d or anything but At the cost I was willing to sacrifice some performance. I don’t have no crazy fast truck, just a few bolt ons.

Yes, I’m very happy with it, I feel like it gave me exactly what I was looking for a budget converter that feels much better than stock but not too loose where it takes some of the joy out of cruising around town. I don’t have anything negative to say, I’m sure it’s not the same performance as say a circle d or anything but At the cost I was willing to sacrifice some performance. I don’t have no crazy fast truck, just a few bolt ons.

Now I'm wondering if I should search a cheaper option like this or just do with Circle D or PI. I'm doing convertor and valve body and that's basically is for mods

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thank you! I appreciate the real world answer and results.

I have a stock converter with about 50k on it, sell cheap but shipping would hurt coming from AK, replaced it w/circle D years ago.

I have a stock converter with about 50k on it, sell cheap but shipping would hurt coming from AK, replaced it w/circle D years ago.
How do you like your circle d? Im considering looking for some black Friday deals. Stock truck, staying that way but also want to do punisher valve body. I know literally nothing about this stuff so I am afraid to pull the trigger on anything. I still plan to drive it regularly and preferably somewhat comfortably. Any recs on one so I can just search for that specific convertor.

I would do the valve body first and see how you like it, I wished i would have got a higher stall in my converter(a little tight) I shut off the OD when I'm cruising in the 35mph range it seems to shift in and out to much.

I would do the valve body first and see how you like it, I wished i would have got a higher stall in my converter(a little tight) I shut off the OD when I'm cruising in the 35mph range it seems to shift in and out to much.
That's not a terrible idea. I need to have rear main seal replaced so I kinda thought while that's going on I'd have them put a converter in...

If you don’t have a very big cam shaft there is no need for a high stall converter, but if in the future you plan on a cam swap then I would choose a 2600-2800 Circle D. Still has good drivability on the street, I think I paid about $900 for mine.

If you don’t have a very big cam shaft there is no need for a high stall converter, but if in the future you plan on a cam swap then I would choose a 2600-2800 Circle D. Still has good drivability on the street, I think I paid about $900 for mine.
Zero plans for a cam. Your recommendation would be forget the TC just do valve body and I'll be happy with that? Just got a little pep and not ruin driving it through town?

Back