How to choose the right oil filter

Good stuff in the article however I dont recall seeing the micron filtering ability of any filter advertised on the package so how does one find out said info for a particular filter?

Just curious
My 94 L made 400k on dino lube 3k oil and filter changes with just store brand or on sale versions of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff in the article however I dont recall seeing the micron filtering ability of any filter advertised on the package so how does one find out said info for a particular filter?

Just curious
My 94 L made 400k on dino lube 3k oil and filter changes with just store brand or on sale versions of both.

The only place I could find decent info on the micron rating and efficiency is on Bobistheoilguy forums if you search for a filter number you can find some good discussions on them. Most of the information posted is from people calling the manufacturer to get the information.

The only place I could find decent info on the micron rating and efficiency is on Bobistheoilguy forums if you search for a filter number you can find some good discussions on them. Most of the information posted is from people calling the manufacturer to get the information.

And tell me how many average Joe’s are going to do all that to find out if filter x is better than y.

Not me.

Usually a low dollar NEW filter is better than none or a higher quality unit left in service too long.

The info. provided is interesting and much appreciated.

Nonetheless, this is the kinda stuff that folks (at least me, for sure) can and sometimes do totally obsess over.

A number of years ago, I relentlessly researched and spread-sheeted comparison information and data regarding synthetic and conventional motor oils ... contacting manufacturer reps to fill in any blanks.

Honestly, the bottom line for me was/is and what’s proven true for me in over my 40+ years of vehicle ownership and anal-retentive maintenance is that the use of quality products (fluids and filters, and all the other stuff as well) and do your maintenance regularly and religiously you and your vehicle are gonna be all good.

Honestly, the bottom line for me was/is and what’s proven true for me in over my 40+ years of vehicle ownership and anal-retentive maintenance is that the use of quality products (fluids and filters, and all the other stuff as well) and do your maintenance regularly and religiously you and your vehicle are gonna be all good.

In a past life, I worked with lubrication engineers. Obviously tech has changed a lot since then, but they pushed 1) a high quality filter with an anti-drainback changed regularly, and 2) the tightest viscosity range you could run for your weather conditions, with a straight-weight oil being the best idea. Keep in mind this was in southern Louisiana, so there weren't "weather" conditions to really consider. Back at that time, oil additives were a craze, and they said don't ever do anything that messes with the chemistry of the developed additive package. We discussed synthetics quite a bit, and their opinion was that 99% of the time, dino lube is perfectly adequate, but that other 1% of the time, synthetic may save your engine.

I've always used the premium line Wix, NAPA Gold, or Mobil One filters based on their recommendations.

"Oil" of this reminds me that I'm due for an oil change.

Back